Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline einotuominen  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2024 10:23:29(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi guys,

Just wanted to show my WIP z-scale layout to you.

I got to pace up the work as I’m supposed to take this into an exhibition in mid May.

-Eino
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline Toosmall  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2024 11:03:36(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Good luck for mid May. Sounds/looks very much like deadlines for architectural models. Have had too many of these, but always delivered on time.

Don't get bogged down in detail, go for mass. Buy a stack of trees. Growies will hide & distract a multitude of sins. A dodgy model will be saved by landscaping.

Have an absolute deadline a few days before it is required including transport & handling issues (& send an invoice to yourself for payment before delivery!).

Look at the job as a business situation & you will get there.

Repeat, go for mass & not detail.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Toosmall  
#3 Posted : 17 March 2024 09:31:52(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Draw up a simple weekly plan of what you need to achieve by set date (you can add things as required, or remove "sea anchors").

I often made a fair bit of money due to knowing my finish date which I knew I could achieve. In the meantime the architects made last "nanosecond" changes (the model was basically a jigsaw assembly process, with a 1000 parts simply to be removed from spray painting board, easy. Having sent the architect photos of finished model & invoice).

I often had architects ask me 'I need the model built ASAP'. I said: I never build models ASAP, go elsewhere (I lost a few jobs, but those customers often came back later due to failed delivery time).

You tell me what date you need the model & I will tell you if I can build it by that date (also knowing the quality of architectural drawings over years of experience).

I also had the model finished a fews days earlier, which quite often worked to my favour due to architects' stuff-ups. I had sent them the invoice for model ready to be delivered.

The impossible dates I was quite happy to let the opposition have. Dates they could never deliver.

If you can't deliver the job by your date, it is not worth the circus & difficult customers.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Toosmall  
#4 Posted : 17 March 2024 09:49:21(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Did a few models for Mirvac, Sydney Olympics. Impossible deadlines, more to the point stuffed drawings.

Mirvac said mark up the drawings so we can fix them. Other half being a teacher, I used red pen. I used thick texta. It was a bloodbath at the minimum!

Next meeting to fix drawings. I said Sunday morning 4am would be fine.

The bloodbath at 8am Monday morning meeting resolved many fingers out of.... !

Got more jobs in the long run for being honest, & being firm & polite... & delivering on time (to our delivery date).

One of a few Sydney Olympic models:
DSC_1018~2.JPG;
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline einotuominen  
#5 Posted : 18 March 2024 11:09:03(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Thanks!

Great tips and great stories!

Yeah I have a plan which will ensure that I have basic landscaping and ground coverage by certain date done. Then I need to do the city and industry locations, which I have many models already built (but not painted). After that, there should be enough time for adding bushes and trees. Bushes for sure, but trees of course will be scratch built, so they will take some time. Luckily the midwest places I'm modelling is not that much dependent on huge amount of trees as a european scene would be.

Today I added the last sculptamolds, so next up is basecoat paint and then off to ground cover! It'll take about 3 days to dry though.

-Eino
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline Toosmall  
#6 Posted : 19 March 2024 02:06:05(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Architectural/train layouts, there is a lot for mundane work. Leave that to the end of the day where possible. Try to do more of the work that requires thinking in the morning. Eg electrical wiring.

Don't fluff around late into the night, your productivity will fall off a cliff. Stop at a designated time every night.

Get up a bit earlier if need be with a fresh mind. You will get 5 times the work done.

If spray painting (150g cans as I do) put all the bits on a piece of packing cardboard, one colour per board, with lengths of rolled over masking tape to form double sided tape to hold them down.

You should get all your buildings' painting done in a morning if well organised. Paint a few spare bits while at it.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline einotuominen  
#7 Posted : 23 March 2024 09:23:13(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi!

Testing ground cover, greens and ballast on this video:

-Eino
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline einotuominen  
#8 Posted : 07 April 2024 08:53:23(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi!

Here’s a short of the current progress. Exhibition’s in six weeks.

https://youtube.com/shorts/sDAqajTq7Ro

-Eino
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by einotuominen