Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline revmox  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2024 23:43:26(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
The Marklin 24977 buffer stop takes up a fair bit of room on a small layout. Here's a simple 3D printed version to go on top of the 24001 "end piece with track roadbed". You gain an extra 64mm of usable track. It is held down by a 74990 track screw. It is in two parts for easy painting. I use Loctite 401 to join 3D parts as I find more reliable than generic superglue. I predrill a 2mm hole through the 24001 and a 1.2mm hole in the baseboard to make screwing it down easy. Someone may find it useful - you can find it under my username of revmox on TinkerCAD.

Marklin 24001XY.jpg
24001-2.jpg
24001-1.jpg

There is also an older version of this buffer that has its own roadbed on TinkerCAD. The roadbed on that version has to be painted to match the rest of the C track. Marklin support told me "The plastic bedding of our C-track is mixed from different shades of granulate. The result does not correspond exactly to any RAL color". That makes it difficult to get a really good match.

And a bonus 3D item - some dodgy silos to use as a gap filler in a goods yard - also on TinkerCAD.

Silo Combo.jpg
Marklin Silo Group.jpg
7 x Silo Parts.jpg
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by revmox
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 17 March 2024 00:44:11(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
OK Mark thanks for encouragement for DIY buffer stops.
My work has a 3D printer.
I don’t know why I did not think of it before, but I am the boss so I can get it done one way or another.
By the way I love the silo set, but I have no room on my layout for such a fine article. Can you mention the footprint size please just to give readers an idea?
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline revmox  
#3 Posted : 17 March 2024 02:51:28(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Hi Kimball,

The buffers would make a simple first 3D project. 3D printing is very handy when it works - super frustrating when it doesn't.

I've uploaded the stl and gcode files to the cloud in case they might be useful to you. Here's the link https://mega.nz/folder/k...Y#W22XgyBpyAil0qOx8iCSLg

The dodgy silo set is roughly 135W x 55D x 100H. It is based on an image of a small installation in your own sunny Queensland.

Mark

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by revmox
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 18 March 2024 09:31:56(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
OK - printed a few copies of the buffer I can use.
The two parts assembled perfectly.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 29 March 2024 06:34:12(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Here is one of the buffers installed on my layout.

It has been painted with steel colour, white and red.
The buffer has been modified with two front stays cut from a 1.5x1.5mm stryene section.
I think the stays (which are contact cement glued in only at the top) make the structure look quite authentic.
UserPostedImage

Certainly these take up way less space, which in a layout can be especially useful.
Kimball
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline revmox  
#6 Posted : 29 March 2024 06:57:49(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Hi Kimball,

Looks good. You beat me to it. I thought that the buffers could easily be made to look a bit better - my original use was for hidden storage where appearance wasn't such a priority.

Yesterday my wife spotted a newer self-levelling Ender machine at Jaycar and told me that I have to upgrade. I won't argue - the first job will be an upgraded buffer.

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by revmox
Offline revmox  
#7 Posted : 23 April 2024 11:04:50(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
New version available - 24001AK.

stl and gcode available here https://mega.nz/folder/1...Y#sjyw1Vwf5LAorY45bZtxzw

3D models also on Tinkercad under my username of revmox.

AK1.jpg
AK2.jpg
AK3.jpg
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by revmox