Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cintrans  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2024 21:19:29(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
I upgraded my BR53 Mallet (#3102) to digital with a 5* motor and Mld decoder.
Installed one smoke unit (#7226) connected to Aux2 on the decoder, works fine,although it would be nice to see some heavier smoking (any idea how to get that?)
The question however is: can I drop in the second smoke unit connected to the same Aux2 without blowing up the decoder? I have only one wire going from the decoder to the stacks....

Regards
Jean-Pierre
Offline Dave Banks  
#2 Posted : 04 March 2024 05:42:34(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Use a relay as I did with my Big Boy.

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

So the decoder switches the relay on and off & the power comes from the track direct to power your two Smoke #7226 units.
D.A.Banks
Offline bph  
#3 Posted : 04 March 2024 07:10:06(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: cintrans Go to Quoted Post
Installed one smoke unit (#7226) connected to Aux2 on the decoder, works fine,although it would be nice to see some heavier smoking (any idea how to get that?)
The question however is: can I drop in the second smoke unit connected to the same Aux2 without blowing up the decoder? I have only one wire going from the decoder to the stacks....

Regards
Jean-Pierre

The decoder overload protection will probably kick in, if you try to use two 7226 on the same aux.

In my 3502 I wired up one wire for each smoke generator. I just bent down one of the contact lips and isolated it, then I soldered in an extra wire to the 2nd smoke generator.

note that when you are using a relay, it will give the smoke generator a full track voltage of 19v or more... But if you use an optical relay you can reduce that voltage with the aux dimming function.
eg in my Big Boy, I installed a TLP3122 optical relay on aux1 (and a resistor and fuse). And adjusted the "track" voltage down to approximately 16v for the 2x7226 smoke generators.
Running it at a higher voltage might give more smoke and might shorten its life so it's at your own risk. The smaller optical relay will fit more easily in the br 53 tender.
Märklin has also used this type of relay in some locomotives, more infor here:
https://moba-hgh.de/modellbahn/tipps-tricks-infos/1718-tuning-der-rauchsatzansteuerung-jetzt-raucht-s-richtig
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 04 March 2024 11:20:22(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: cintrans Go to Quoted Post

Regards
Jean-Pierre

Hi Jean Pierre
Using a relay to drive 2 smoke unit is a good precaution BUT the smoke unit must be changed for a SEUTHE 11 16V-22V.
Using a SEUTHE unit connected to a decoder output means reduced modulation so a SEUTHE 10 10V-16V is OK and each draws 130mA.
So having 2 in parallel is OK with a Märklin decoder (mSD3, mLD3) and it is advised to configure the output as smoke unit (reduced smoking when the loco does not move.

In all cases avoid using smoke units without liquid for long period of time. This is why connecting the units to an AUX output is better (you may turn them off).

Here is the SEUTHE propect (characteristics and models
https://seuthe-dampf.de/technische-daten/
Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB