Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 29 February 2024 21:32:36(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have a number of 4744X type T1 Hückepackwagen cars. These cars can carry trucks or 20/40 foot containers.
Maerklin delivered the cars with supports that hold containers with pins on the container underside.

I was wondering if anybody reverse engineered the supports so that the cars can also be used with containers with sockets on the underside?

This would mean reproducing the Maerklin supports, but with a pin instead of a hole.

Has anybody tried this?

Regards

Mike C
Offline revmox  
#2 Posted : 03 March 2024 10:53:33(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Hi Mike,

Seems like no takers to your question so far. I'm no expert with Marklin or 3D printing but I've taken a look at some of the images I could find of the 47447 and I'm not really sure what you want/need to do.

Is it really necessary to print a whole new support? From what you say there is a socket in the standard support the receives a pin on the container underside - but you want to use containers that have sockets instead of pins.

ASSUMING the sockets on the new containers you want to use align with the sockets on the sockets on the existing support, don't you just need some form of double-ended pin (matchstick, toothpick, brass rod, knitting needle)?

My apologies if I've got it all wrong, am off with the fairies or missed something entirely obvious to the Marklin gurus.

Mark
Offline Bosse  
#3 Posted : 04 March 2024 07:45:53(UTC)
Bosse

Sweden   
Herpa 084192 maybe
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 04 March 2024 16:51:56(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Bosse Go to Quoted Post
Herpa 084192 maybe

I have a number of 084192 which I use with the longer Sgns/Sgnss (4705X) type cars. They can be used with 20 foot, 23 foot tank containers and I have used them doubled with 40 foot tank containers. They cannot be used with 40 or 45 foot containers due to lack of sockets on the container underside.

I was thinking that alternate mounts instead of the sockets provided with the T1 models might allow containers from other brands to be used with those cars. I have a number of Herpa, Kombimodell, LSM and Roco containers that would look good as loads on my Maerklin cars. As container trains are very frequently run as unit trains, you want to be able to run a "Samskip", a "Ferrymasters" or similar train and have all cars with loads from the same or related companies.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 04 March 2024 16:56:14(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: revmox Go to Quoted Post
Hi Mike,

Seems like no takers to your question so far. I'm no expert with Marklin or 3D printing but I've taken a look at some of the images I could find of the 47447 and I'm not really sure what you want/need to do.

Is it really necessary to print a whole new support? From what you say there is a socket in the standard support the receives a pin on the container underside - but you want to use containers that have sockets instead of pins.

ASSUMING the sockets on the new containers you want to use align with the sockets on the sockets on the existing support, don't you just need some form of double-ended pin (matchstick, toothpick, brass rod, knitting needle)?

My apologies if I've got it all wrong, am off with the fairies or missed something entirely obvious to the Marklin gurus.

Mark

Mark,

the 4744X come with two little parts bags. They contain the mount to hold a trailer in place and 8 little parts which clip onto the side of the car and allow the pins on the underside of the container to hold the load in place. I thought that perhaps somebody would have replicated these little parts with a pin instead of a socket, which would easily allow the use of other containers. The loads ideally should be able to be swapped from Maerklin cars to other ones by Kombimodell, Rocky Rail, ESU, Igra and others where possible, so adapting the containers to pins is not a desirable solution in this case.

Regards

Mike C