Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DasBert33  
#1 Posted : 26 February 2024 13:24:40(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Hi all,

I would like to replace the yellow LED in my Marklin Mikado (UP, 37973) by a better looking warmwhite one. This seems to be more complex than anticipated, the led board is hidden in the boiler and seems inaccessible. The explosion diagram does not indicate any way to access it. I assume the smokedoor needs to be removed?

Has anyone already attempted to replace this LED in this or a similar Mikado-style loco? Can it be done without inflicting damage? If so, how do I need to proceed? Any help would be nice, pictures even better.

This is the loco in question: https://www.maerklin.de/en/products/details/article/37973

BR,
Bert

Offline owidgie  
#2 Posted : 26 February 2024 21:06:34(UTC)
owidgie

United States   
Hi Bert, I have done this to mine. It is very easy from what I remember.

I believe I took the boiler off then popped the front of the boiler off from the inside (although I don't remember how). I think myabe, there is a screw on the bottom of the boiler that holds it.

Once the front of the boiler is off, the lighting circuit board just slides out. There are no wires attached to it. At that point I just soldered a different warm white LED where the original one was.

Rick
Offline DasBert33  
#3 Posted : 26 February 2024 22:51:40(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply.

I did remove the boiler of mine a few weeks ago but did not find any screw or other means that holds the front. Up to now I assumed it was clicked or glued. The front seems to be really firmly stuck to the metal part. Afraid to do permanent damage I just reassembled the loco. But I will try again based on your description of it being easy.

Should you or anyone else remember more details on the exact trick to open it, please post here.

B
Offline owidgie  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2024 20:43:17(UTC)
owidgie

United States   
Hi Bert, looking at a Mikado boiler, it is very easy, just put a small screwdriver (or some kind of rod) against the inside of the boiler hatch. The gently tap the screwdriver with a small hammer. The front of the boiler will pop off. It is not on there tight so tap lightly and have a soft place for it to land so no damage is caused. Also, don't put the screwdriver on the light bar, put it on the inside of the front boiler plate. I have added pictures to help.

Rick

Mikado 1.jpgMikado 2.jpg
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by owidgie
Offline DasBert33  
#5 Posted : 27 February 2024 21:57:21(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Hi Rick,

Thank you very much for doing the effort to open your loco. The pictures are clear, I know what to do.

Thanks again,
Bert