Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline spinnerguy  
#1 Posted : 22 February 2024 16:52:09(UTC)
spinnerguy

United Kingdom   
I have just purchased a used four car set- one is observation car - in the hope the 216 would pull them. It will not move them from standstill, and wheel slip occurs when pulling only three on a rather tight curve.
I tried the three cars with an older heavier 216,and this manages without slip.
I weighed both - the newer model is 367 grains,the older one 583 grains .

There is obviously quite a difference in capability,which I know has been mentioned on here before ......
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#2 Posted : 22 February 2024 20:41:08(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: spinnerguy Go to Quoted Post
I have just purchased a used four car set- one is observation car - in the hope the 216 would pull them. It will not move them from standstill, and wheel slip occurs when pulling only three on a rather tight curve.
I tried the three cars with an older heavier 216,and this manages without slip.
I weighed both - the newer model is 367 grains,the older one 583 grains .

There is obviously quite a difference in capability,which I know has been mentioned on here before ......

This is surprising. The newer, lighter models are certainly not as capable as the older ones, but I'd expect four coaches to prersent no problems on the level.
Have you checked the wheels of the coaches are turning freely? I have bought some second hand coaches that don't, usually because of muck on the wheels and axles. I have sometimes put a tiny bit of oil in the axle-box, too, which can be helpful.

Hope that's a helpful thought

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Zme
Offline Zme  
#3 Posted : 22 February 2024 23:28:59(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

This may seem outrageous, but I have had a locomotive like the 216 act in a similar way.

When I was first working on Z scale locomotives, I failed to get one of the gears at the top of the bogie correctly placed, or it fell off unnoticed. When this happened, the locomotive would actually move, but if there was the slightest resistance or a hill, it would not move. This could also be possible if that top gear is missing a few teeth. The locomotive must have two functional bogies, without one, it would act in the way you describe.

You might check this. From now on, when placing the bogies to the frame I always keep it upright so gravity will keep that to gear from falling out.

Might be possible. Remember this rule if you wish, “All used items are suspicious” especially if something is not working properly.

Take good care.

Zme