Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#1 Posted : 20 February 2024 17:01:51(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Hello,

I would like to start retrofitting some buffer (capacitor) first to my Märklin 39004 DB Class 01 Steam Locomotive but also to other locos. This will be my first try in the matter.

1)How to I know if the decoder can take one?

2)How do I know which size to use?

3) Any specific advice?

4) Any brand in particular?

Yes I clean my tracks but still some locos run better than others. All the locos I have that come with buffer already installed are much more fun to run.

As a side note why does the loco stops always in the most out of reach location? LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Puttputtmaru
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 21 February 2024 08:45:29(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Puttputtmaru Go to Quoted Post
1)How to I know if the decoder can take one?
The simple solution (capacitor, diode, resistor) can be used with every decoder.
The smart solutions with gold cap that require decoder support are a different story.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline einotuominen  
#3 Posted : 21 February 2024 12:14:06(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   

2)How do I know which size to use?

3) Any specific advice?

Hi,

2. I'd advice you to buy 470uF capacitors and use two in parallel. They are most likely to fit in to the limited space instead of one 1000uF capacitor.

3. See the Märklin of Sweden's video on this:

-Eino

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#4 Posted : 21 February 2024 15:28:58(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Thanks einotuominen I had forgotten about that video will have a second look at it.

HO appreciate the answer but some more explaining would be warranted, a bit too nebulous for me.

From other videos I have looked at, seems like going the ESU decoder and putting one of their buffer way is the easiest but seems to me that replacing a perfectly good decoder (that I like) is going a bit extreme. May be I will do it on some locos with older decoder eventually.

This is a very well explained run down of what is needed:

https://youtu.be/xlXlx4Qz34A?si=wFapIpRHqKhtxnea
Offline einotuominen  
#5 Posted : 21 February 2024 15:31:17(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Thanks einotuominen I had forgotten about that video will have a second look at it.

HO appreciate the answer but some more explaining would be warranted, a bit too nebulous for me.

From other videos I have looked at, seems like going the ESU decoder and putting one of their buffer way is the easiest but seems to me that replacing a perfectly good decoder (that I like) is going a bit extreme. May be I will do it on some locos with older decoder eventually.

Hi,

installing the buffer capacitor to ESU and Märklin decoders is basically identical task.

-Eino
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#6 Posted : 21 February 2024 15:34:43(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post

Hi,

installing the buffer capacitor to ESU and Märklin decoders is basically identical task.

-Eino

I understand but I am a bit reluctant because from what I understand the Märklin decoder are not friendly to all buffers and I do not yet know how to be sure they are.
But you are right might as well go that way first and if I blow it up I will buy a ESU lol
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#7 Posted : 21 February 2024 18:55:11(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
I'm not sure a decoder will/should care? They should be consuming power, but not knowing whether it comes from the track or the capacitor? I am also not an electrical engineer, so maybe I'm wrong.

What I can speak to is space. These (SMD-style) cost a little more, but are incredibly compact:

https://www.digikey.com/...s/EEH-ZU1E102UP/21727057

Edited by user 23 February 2024 05:24:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
bph
Offline mario54i  
#8 Posted : 21 February 2024 19:09:59(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post

What I can speak to is space. These (SMD-style) cost a little more, but are incredibly compact:

https://www.digikey.com/...s/EEH-ZU1E102UP/21727057

Same size of a regular 1000 uF 25 V radial leaded capacitor, 10 mm diameter 17 mm height

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mario54i
Offline bph  
#9 Posted : 22 February 2024 15:27:40(UTC)
bph

Norway   
if your locomotive has a SUSI plug, this might be an alternative way to wire it up:
https://www.mittelleiter-magazin.de/uncategorized/susi-schnittstelle-fuer-puffer-schaltung-nutzen/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#10 Posted : 22 February 2024 17:27:56(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
if your locomotive has a SUSI plug, this might be an alternative way to wire it up:
https://www.mittelleiter-magazin.de/uncategorized/susi-schnittstelle-fuer-puffer-schaltung-nutzen/

Intriguing and worth a look. Simpler and cheaper is always good.
Thanks
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Puttputtmaru
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#11 Posted : 23 February 2024 03:43:37(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
bph More thanks for the link, this magazin has a wealth of information. More reading ahead.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Puttputtmaru
bph