Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline patnaik  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2024 00:30:11(UTC)
patnaik

United States   
I just picked up a new Marklin 30000 BR89. My old BR89 from the 1960's retired, and this is its replacement. The boiler appears to be the same, but the chassis is much nicer with blackened wheels and side rods. It has a 5 pole permanent magnet motor.

I would like to identify which decoder is in this model. The decoder understands MFX and DCC; it says so right on the box and I can control it with DCC (my Intellibox does not do MFX). I use JMRI to program DCC decoders and JMRI was unable to identify the model beyond the manufacturer (Trix).

The decoder appears to be similar to a Marklin mLD, and I can read and write all CV's. It is not an mLD/3 as some reads from those CVs fail. However the decoder does not seem to have a shunting function or ABV off function. I mapped those functions in the function table to F1 and F2, but activating those functions did nothing. I was able to map the headlight to another function, so clearly function mapping works. Of course, the instructions do not say that ABV off or shunting are available, but I find it hard to believe the Marklin would go to the trouble of creating a special decoder for this one.

Regards,
Gopal
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 01 February 2024 00:58:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: patnaik Go to Quoted Post
I just picked up a new Marklin 30000 BR89. My old BR89 from the 1960's retired, and this is its replacement. The boiler appears to be the same, but the chassis is much nicer with blackened wheels and side rods. It has a 5 pole permanent magnet motor.

I would like to identify which decoder is in this model. The decoder understands MFX and DCC; it says so right on the box and I can control it with DCC (my Intellibox does not do MFX). I use JMRI to program DCC decoders and JMRI was unable to identify the model beyond the manufacturer (Trix).

The decoder appears to be similar to a Marklin mLD, and I can read and write all CV's. It is not an mLD/3 as some reads from those CVs fail. However the decoder does not seem to have a shunting function or ABV off function. I mapped those functions in the function table to F1 and F2, but activating those functions did nothing. I was able to map the headlight to another function, so clearly function mapping works. Of course, the instructions do not say that ABV off or shunting are available, but I find it hard to believe the Marklin would go to the trouble of creating a special decoder for this one.

Regards,
Gopal

As it will do DCC, and it is apparently recent production I would expect it to be an mld/3. I wouldn't have thought they would have carried on production of the previous mld as the cost of the decoder must be pretty similar, but you never know.

JMRI does have definitions for mld and msd decoders, so if it is an mld it should identify it using the appropriate 'new loco' function.

Offline patnaik  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2024 01:51:40(UTC)
patnaik

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Regards,
Gopal

As it will do DCC, and it is apparently recent production I would expect it to be an mld/3. I wouldn't have thought they would have carried on production of the previous mld as the cost of the decoder must be pretty similar, but you never know.

JMRI does have definitions for mld and msd decoders, so if it is an mld it should identify it using the appropriate 'new loco' function.

I did use JMRI to try and identify the decoder and I got the following: "Found mfg 131 (Trix Modelleisenbahn) version 18; no such decoder defined" I resorted to trial and error to find a suitable decoder definition.

It is not an mLD/3 as I get errors when I read some CV's, e.g. the function map. No errors when I try mLD. the mLD does do DCC as well.

Offline Dave Banks  
#4 Posted : 01 February 2024 05:12:09(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
https://www.maerklin.de/en/products/details/article/30000

https://static.maerklin....f47fba921d1632983750.pdf

This was discussed in this topic & may be of some help: https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...t46124-BR-89-010-upgrade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4a4GNNQjvU Gopal in this video yours would be the 2013 version I would imagine.

Edited by user 01 February 2024 21:42:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

D.A.Banks
Offline ktsolias  
#5 Posted : 01 February 2024 09:29:06(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi
The decoder is a very basic one.
mfx, DCC
Movement and lights control. Nothing else
If you need more functions you have to replace with a 60982 mLD3

Costas
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 01 February 2024 09:35:21(UTC)
H0

However the decoder does not seem to have a shunting function or ABV off function. I mapped those functions in the function table to F1 and F2, but activating those functions did nothing. I was able to map the headlight to another function, so clearly function mapping works. Of course, the instructions do not say that ABV off or shunting are available, but I find it hard to believe the Marklin would go to the trouble of creating a special decoder for this one.
The instructions that are online mention F4 for ABV off, but do not mention DCC.
Märklin mfx locos usually have ABV off as a function ex works and I added shunting mode to many of my mfx locos.
If you can get your hands on a Central Station, it is definitely worth trying to add those functions with it.

CV programming for an unknown decoder is definitely tricky.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 01 February 2024 09:37:46(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Dave Banks Go to Quoted Post
This was discussed in this topic & may be of some help: https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...t46124-BR-89-010-upgrade
Note that Märklin #30000 started with a Delta decoder, came with an fx decoder later, then mfx without DCC, and now with mfx and DCC.
A thread discussing the Delta version may not have much useful information.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline patnaik  
#8 Posted : 01 February 2024 12:19:56(UTC)
patnaik

United States   
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post
Hi
The decoder is a very basic one.
mfx, DCC
Movement and lights control. Nothing else
If you need more functions you have to replace with a 60982 mLD3

Costas

Thanks for clarifying. Considering that this is a 30000, a basic decoder is quite appropriate. Interesting though that "advanced" features like function mapping work; this made me hopeful that I could enable some additional features for free.

Gopal
Offline Bryan  
#9 Posted : 01 February 2024 18:27:40(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
The decoder in the 3000 has changed a lot over the years. As someone said before the latest is a MFX version. It is very basic and produced in very slightly different versions for all the Startup series. Thus there are many catalogue numbers for them. Replacements are only available from Marklin Service along with all the other decoders and non E parts.

It is physically smaller in size than the standard mLD/3 equivalents, so cannot swap and use the decoder mounting. One of its limitations is ampage, only can draw 1amp. The mLD/3 is about 1.5Amp from memory.

Basically they are very simple and not very robust, easily burn out.

David
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bryan