Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rbat  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2024 20:58:21(UTC)
rbat

United Kingdom   
I have a very old ( probably pre 1945 ) Marklin HO 3 rail train set. It is powered by an also very old Marklin 270A transformer. It has not been used for many, many years but I recently set it up again and although power gets through to the track, the engine I used , a 1962ish tank engine, model number 3000, only lights up and moves an inch or two then stops.

I am unclear whether it is the transformer which is the problem or the engine. Also as the transformer is very old it may be better to get a new one but I don't know what would be compatible.

Any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbat
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2024 22:39:03(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
If you have another loco., try it. The longer they are dormant, the oil solidifies and they either won't move, or run sluggish. Clean the gears, wheels, and check the commutator and armature for dirt and grease. Clean and relube as needed. Old 3000s have sponge oil pockets for the motor. If the tracks are rusty or dirty, clean them as well.
Offline rbat  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2024 22:45:34(UTC)
rbat

United Kingdom   
Thank you, I'll try that.
Offline Michael4  
#4 Posted : 16 January 2024 23:25:49(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I would be very wary of the transformer. Is it one of those black ones with a knob and separate red button for reversing the loco?

Whatever it is if it is as old as you say the insulation of the power cord both externally and internally is probably breaking down, making it dangerous.

The transformers that can normally be considered to be safe are plastic either blue or white (newer). Anything old enough to be metal should be seen as being risky though a competent electrician can most likely make them safe by rewiring etc..

A photo would help identify it.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 17 January 2024 00:56:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: rbat Go to Quoted Post
I have a very old ( probably pre 1945 ) Marklin HO 3 rail train set. ...
the engine I used , a 1962ish tank engine, model number 3000, only lights up and moves an inch or two then stops.

I doubt that the set is pre 1945, it is more likely post 1945, and as the loco is designated as a 3000, which is from late 50s onwards, that is probably the age of the set.

Does the track have solid centre rail (like Hornby Dublo) or is it center studs?

As others have noted be very wary of the transformer, the power leads on the old transformers perish, and the internal wiring may also be doubtful.

Also as noted, the problem is most likely that the engine needs some cleaning and lubrication. See the Marklin Service Manual about half way down this post for instructions and other information to help with this.

Again some photos will help identify the units. If there is a label on the box (you mentioned it is a set, is it a set, or a collection of items in a box?) then that will help identify its age. To attach photos use the paperclip in the edit bar when writing a post, and follow the instructions.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline rbat  
#6 Posted : 17 January 2024 16:48:54(UTC)
rbat

United Kingdom   
Thank you, I think you are right about the transformer. I'm not going to use it, for interest I attach a couple of photos. What would be really helpful is you could recommend a model of transformer which basically does the same job but that is easily available nowts6.jpg

ts6.jpg
ts6.jpgts5.jpg

Not sure I've attached the photos, can't see what else to do.

Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
I would be very wary of the transformer. Is it one of those black ones with a knob and separate red button for reversing the loco?

Whatever it is if it is as old as you say the insulation of the power cord both externally and internally is probably breaking down, making it dangerous.

The transformers that can normally be considered to be safe are plastic either blue or white (newer). Anything old enough to be metal should be seen as being risky though a competent electrician can most likely make them safe by rewiring etc..

A photo would help identify it.

ts6.jpg
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 17 January 2024 16:56:15(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I'm not familiar with that one.
Offline rbat  
#8 Posted : 17 January 2024 17:02:07(UTC)
rbat

United Kingdom   
Thanks very much for your response. I'm afraid I didn't fully explain. I was given various pre-WW2 locos, pullman cars, rolling stock, track and points by my late father. So its really a collection of items. This track has a solid rail. I added to these items some new track (which has centre studs) and the 3000 loco in the mid 60s.
Yes I am very doubtful about the transformer and wont be using it, but would be interested in knowing what a suitable modern, available equivalent might be. I attach a few photos of the original pre 1945 stuff and the transformer.

ts6.jpgts5.jpgts1.jpgts2.jpgts3.jpgts4.jpg

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: rbat Go to Quoted Post
I have a very old ( probably pre 1945 ) Marklin HO 3 rail train set. ...
the engine I used , a 1962ish tank engine, model number 3000, only lights up and moves an inch or two then stops.

I doubt that the set is pre 1945, it is more likely post 1945, and as the loco is designated as a 3000, which is from late 50s onwards, that is probably the age of the set.

Does the track have solid centre rail (like Hornby Dublo) or is it center studs?

As others have noted be very wary of the transformer, the power leads on the old transformers perish, and the internal wiring may also be doubtful.

Also as noted, the problem is most likely that the engine needs some cleaning and lubrication. See the Marklin Service Manual about half way down this post for instructions and other information to help with this.

Again some photos will help identify the units. If there is a label on the box (you mentioned it is a set, is it a set, or a collection of items in a box?) then that will help identify its age. To attach photos use the paperclip in the edit bar when writing a post, and follow the instructions.

Offline Michael4  
#9 Posted : 17 January 2024 17:19:37(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Yup, I would keep well away from the black transformer, it predates metal blue ones and has a power wire that is cloth covered stuff that was once rubber!

Remember, when looking for a transformer to check that it is OK for UK voltage

For old 'analogue' use two numbers spring to mind, one is 6631 which is blue plastic and 6647 which is a significantly newer white one. Both 30VA. Others are available, you may only need a smaller one.

There are a couple of 6631 on Ebay UK at the moment, no idea about the vendors etc. They are quite heavy for postage.