Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PL21  
#1 Posted : 11 January 2024 21:37:00(UTC)
PL21

Portugal   
First off, I have finally joined after lurking for some time now. Forgive me if this topic has been covered elsewhere/should be posted elsewhere.

I finally have a good working 3015 Croc. It has been, like many of you, one of my favorite locos for years, and finally found a good quality analog model with a reversing lever, etc.

Here is the bizarre problem I am seeing. When the two cowlings are off the loco (that is removing the two shell pieces over the weight and the reverser) the loco works perfectly and flawlessly.

As soon as you place the two cowlings back, "shorts" apparently occur and the loco will either sputter or simply not move (in one or both directions).

There is no insulation (that I can see on the parts list or with the unit I found) under the two cowlings. There is, of course, insulation under the main cab portion (protecting a short from the catenary feeds to the motor housing). The center cab portion is not involved in this issue (that I can see!).

Excuse the obvious naive question, but what am I missing, please?

Thank you all in advance!

Peter

Edited by user 12 January 2024 10:35:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PL21
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 11 January 2024 22:11:14(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi PL21 (A first name would be perfect)
Welcome to this great forum of Märklin fans.
Here is one from Paris France involved in HO, digital and PC control by Rocrail.
Long time ago I purchased a worn out 3015 at a swap meet in Paris and I had to reconstruct, find the missing parts and paintit
To make things clearer, here is how it looks with an exploded view
Sans titre.png

So when you remove the two side housing / cowlings (and the lights assemblies) the loco runs fine.
I suppose you refer to a version after 1953. Before that, instead of having traction tires the 3015 had weights.

Each cowling is fixed by 2 screws that are located rather close to the locos extremity.
Each cowling is engaging into the central housing and there must be a free clearance (cowlings should not touch the central housing)
So look for possible force having bent those cowling which in return prevent the free rotation of the sort of cardan shaft. This could cause an irregular and excessive friction against the motor's rotation.
So this is only an assumption.
Please remove the central housing (2 screws) and test with the cowlings in place
Then remove the lamps and test again
Then remove the cowling on the direction relay side and test
Then remove the other cowling and test

Another possibility is an electrical fault (with the direction relay or with the light assemblies).

Another possibility is someone has played and messed the articulated transmission (sort of a short tube with 2 screws and 2 locking nuts).
When messed with, the result is the loco is crawling around instead of moving straight.
Here is my loco during my repair. Because I had no direction relay, instead, I used a spare C90 decoder and 2 diodes

Maybe it could help you better understand how it works
Cheers
Jean

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Nigel Packer  
#3 Posted : 11 January 2024 22:16:18(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Hi Peter,

Make sure you remove the light fittings from both the cowlings before refitting them. Then refit the lights after the front and rear cowlings have been attached and screwed down.

Trying to fit the cowlings with the lights already installed invariably leads to short circuits.

I hope this helps.

Nigel (tonight in Funchal - going back to UK tomorrow)
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Nigel Packer
Offline PL21  
#4 Posted : 11 January 2024 22:20:51(UTC)
PL21

Portugal   
Merci, Jean for your input and advice. I will certainly try your suggestions tomorrow. I enjoyed the YouTube video (especially the L''Etoile du Nord TEE consist!).

Nigel, thank you. That is an excellent suggestion and will also have a run at it tomorrow. Considering the wind today, I wish you a safe flight tomorrow (actually that your inbound flight can land at FNC!).

Thank you both!

Peter
Offline Michael4  
#5 Posted : 11 January 2024 23:16:04(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
My memory tells me that there is a bit of brown paper inside each cowling similar to the bit inside the cab roof.

Caution! My memory has been known to be faulty...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline PL21  
#6 Posted : 12 January 2024 10:34:33(UTC)
PL21

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: Nigel Packer Go to Quoted Post
Hi Peter,

Make sure you remove the light fittings from both the cowlings before refitting them. Then refit the lights after the front and rear cowlings have been attached and screwed down.

Trying to fit the cowlings with the lights already installed invariably leads to short circuits.

I hope this helps.

Nigel (tonight in Funchal - going back to UK tomorrow)

Nigel,

Many thanks once again. It was indeed the "issue" as, without, the lights but with the cowlings on, the 3015 works perfectly.

Safe travels today out of FNC!

Peter

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PL21
Offline Nigel Packer  
#7 Posted : 13 January 2024 07:05:44(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: PL21 Go to Quoted Post

Nigel,

Many thanks once again. It was indeed the "issue" as, without, the lights but with the cowlings on, the 3015 works perfectly.

Safe travels today out of FNC!

Peter

Hi Peter,

Great, glad that worked. I have quite a lot of crocodiles so I’m familiar with the problem.

Funny you should remark on flights to and from Funchal. Our inbound flight was indeed diverted to Porto Santo because of winds in Funchal. So our flight back was 3.5 hours late and we missed our connection to Manchester. BA put us in a hotel overnight at Heathrow, and we are now in the BA lounge in Terminal 5 waiting for our 7am flight to Manchester!

Best wishes,

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Nigel Packer
Offline Gerard W. Treich, Jr  
#8 Posted : 28 March 2024 23:05:16(UTC)
Gerard W. Treich, Jr

United States   
Hello! My first time posting in a long long while. I wanted to point out that when I digitized my 3015, I had erratic electrical issues. Having experienced ground faults on my motorcycle electrical system, I realized that a ground wire connecting all three parts of the 3015 was a possible fix. Remember to leave enough wire between the nose and center and the tail and center sections to allow them to travel the full scope.
Best regards -
Jerry

P.S., I saw similar information in another post / thread.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gerard W. Treich, Jr