Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ivan  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2024 17:58:27(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
Faller 648 gives impulse for blinking warning lights (there are two connections).

It works fine but the resistor (75 Ohm) gets very warm as soon as the Faller 648 is connected to the transformer. I am aware that resistors emit heat, but this looks excessive (almost burns the skin). I tested it with one bulb, though. It probably needs two bulbs for proper circuit function, no idea.
There are no movable parts and I really do not understand how it works.
Any info on Faller 648 is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ivan
Offline Ivan  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2024 21:37:56(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
It looks like some kind of thermal switch; the coil (arrow) heats up but I do not see any movement of the contact.
Very curious what principle was applied here. Lamps do blink.

UserPostedImage
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#3 Posted : 09 January 2024 00:36:54(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Ivan,

I am going to wade right in to the deep end and suggest that the heating is owing to the fact that this is also to be hooked up to the vintage Faller AMS roadway system, which would add a certain amount of resistance (or power draw), and it is also to be triggered by the train passing its mechanism at the rails, it triggers the power off to the AMS road section and turns on the lights. When the train has passed, it resets the power to the road and turns off the lights. Running just the lights might be what is heating the resistor.

At least that is how I think it all works. I could be way off (well some would say I am "off" all the time anyway.... LOL )

Others may chime in here and throw my ideas over the hedge Cool Good luck, it looks like a fun item.

Edited by user 09 January 2024 16:37:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#4 Posted : 10 January 2024 17:42:33(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
What I am unsure of is how to introduce the effect of the AMS roadway and the track signal so that the lights can be used independently. I imagine there is some electrical wizardry which could be applied here. Confused
Jimmy T
Offline Ivan  
#5 Posted : 10 January 2024 18:43:16(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Jimmy Thompson Go to Quoted Post
What I am unsure of is how to introduce the effect of the AMS roadway and the track signal so that the lights can be used independently. I imagine there is some electrical wizardry which could be applied here. Confused

Two gray sockets connections regulate the current on the roadway (switch on and off depending on the train passage).
Only guessing; I have never had AMS car roadway and bought 648 out of curiosity for $ 3.
It works; lights blink and the principle seems to be as follows: flat plate with coil heats up the bimetallic switch in the back which regulate current flow through the main coil under the screw.
I contacted Faller technical support but they are not familiar with 648 made 60 years ago.
Thanks.
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#6 Posted : 10 January 2024 21:03:43(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Quote:
Ivan wrote: "...but they are not familiar with 648 made 60 years ago.>

RollEyes I can only imagine the puzzled looks...RollEyes
Jimmy T
Offline Ivan  
#7 Posted : 10 January 2024 22:38:18(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Jimmy Thompson Go to Quoted Post
Quote:
Ivan wrote: "...but they are not familiar with 648 made 60 years ago.>

RollEyes I can only imagine the puzzled looks...RollEyes

That was before cheap electronic crap from China.

Offline Ivan  
#8 Posted : 11 January 2024 12:28:30(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
Out of curiosity I could not stop searching the construction of 648 relay.
1.It has a bimetallic thermal switch in the back; it gives blinking impulse to lights, church bells etc. via two orange connections.
2.Two gray sockets simply interrupt any closed electrical circuit, depending on the position of front brass levers in front; down position for blinking, upper position to close the circuit in gray sockets. They are meant to regulate power supply to AMS roadway which must have its own power supply, either with another transformer or the same transformer (yellow 16 V, brown ground).
Most importantly, there must be considerable heat generated in flat horizontal coil to activate bimetallic switch. Curiously, Faller used different resistors; 75 Ohm or 82 Ohm. They did not mention this difference (less than 10%). The question remains whether lower resistance offers more power, increased heat and increased blinking rate.
Thanks for your kind attention.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 11 January 2024 13:28:38(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Ivan Go to Quoted Post

Most importantly, there must be considerable heat generated in flat horizontal coil to activate bimetallic switch. Curiously, Faller used different resistors; 75 Ohm or 82 Ohm. They did not mention this difference (less than 10%). The question remains whether lower resistance offers more power, increased heat and increased blinking rate.

Hi Ivan
This Faller 648 relay was a great combination of a standard relay (to stop Faller AMS cars at a gateless level crossing) and a - then common item - bimetallic relay - to operate the blinking lights (2 of them, one for each direction).
As you know bimetallic relais where using a sheet metal blade made of 2 metals with different temperature expansion factors with a contact at its extremity.
Those contacts were normally open at room temperature but when heated (60° to 80°) because of a current in the resistor, the contact would close, allowing the relay to cool down (because the current was "shorted by the contact and not going though the embedded relay resistor.
That was how, in those early days, we had blinking contacts or timed stops at stations for locomotives.
The reliability of these was limited (not for intensive use).
Cheers
Jean

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Ivan  
#10 Posted : 11 January 2024 14:13:35(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
I had a strong feeling Jean would explain how it works.
I like those old gadgets, repair them and use them occasionally. Besides, I am not a digital man: too old to start.
Thanks
Kindest regards

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Ivan