Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 28 December 2023 07:28:21(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
[UPDATED WITH PHOTOS]
I finally have my Maerklin Giruno (39810) plus the 3 add-on sets. I put the basic 5 coach set on a test track (about 3 metres) and hooked it up to my MS2.
Right off the bat I was very impressed with the smoothness and quietness of the motor and the lack of slider noise, which struck me as a definite difference from my Piko model. I still have to expand the test track and add the additional coaches to complete the trainset.

More to come in the next day or two as I get a chance to see what this train has to offer and when I get a chance to pull the Piko model out of it's boxes and have both of them on the tracks at the same time.

Piko (L) and Maerklin (R)
IMG_5627.jpg

Piko
IMG_5630.jpg

Maerklin
IMG_5631.jpg

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/834548/

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 19 January 2024 10:26:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 19 January 2024 05:54:18(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I put together the 11 coach Piko trainset. I had to go through the instructions to remember which coach goes where as they are not as easily sorted in the boxes as the Maerklin ones.
I have not yet pulled out the remaining 6 coaches for the Maerklin trainset. I had to extend the track sections for the Piko one and I will have to retrieve additional tracks before I can do the same with both.

If you look at the images above, the front of the Maerklin train looks a little more prototypical than the Piko one. I think I prefer the black painted vents on the hood better than the red painted ones on the Piko model.

Both models have illuminated destination signs. The win should go to Maerklin as the panels go out once the train starts moving, but it is easier to turn the Piko ones on/off as it is F9 and not F31. I could only access that function on the Maerklin train with my new updated MS3.

The Piko model has a destination of Genova and the Maerklin one has a destination of Milano. The Departure announcement for both gives the southbound route. The Maerklin one has an added feature where it announces the next station and which side to exit and this progresses by station in both the north and southbound directions. The downside is that every announcement is preceded by the cute "Geschaetzte fahrgaeste" which I don't remember hearing quite as often as it gets played on the Maerklin trainset.

One of the shortcomings of the Piko model was that the operating sounds would recycle the startup pattern during operation. So far, the Maerklin one does not sound quite as prototypical, but does not seem to recycle in the same manner. I will have to let it run more than a few metres in each direction to give a full assessment of operational sounds.

I am very pleased with both of these models. Although it might have been nice to have two different Piko ones that could be coupled together, I don't think that I would have run a 22 couch consist more than once in my life.

I leave you with a photo of the two models with the illuminated destination signs
IMG_5629.jpg

Regards

Mike C
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 19 January 2024 13:05:56(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I don't have a complaint about the Marklin Giruno sound, but it seems to have been recorded in a station as it was passing through. It has a distinct echo. The startup sound fades early.