Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Eddie7979  
#1 Posted : 24 December 2023 08:18:11(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Hi everyone,

Hope you are all enjoying the Christmas break (hopefully you are having one).

While I have time on my hands (and staying out of the 35 to 40 degree heat), I been working on my layout.

I’m trying to adjust where my locomotives stop in each block. So, each block has an enter and in sensor, some of the ‘in’ sensors are a bit longer because I noticed some of the locomotives take a bit longer to stop.

The problem I have now is that the locomotives tend to stop prematurely and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how I can use Rocrail to adjust it?

I tried playing around with the locomotive BBT settings but frustratingly it hasn’t been able to adjust it.

Thank you,

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 24 December 2023 15:35:20(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Eddie

Thank you for your warm wishes. Merry Christmas to all of you too.
Here is a Rocrail (RR) fan using 3 rails and Märklin from France.

If I mention 3 rails, this is because the point of detection is very important for the point of stopping. In 3 rails, it is the first non-insulated axle while in 2 rails, it is the first voltage-picking axle that counts

With Rocrail, you have a very precise stopping point by using those principles (there may be other solutions and I don't know them all, far from it):
- all locos have a digital decoder with an adjustable inertia simulation (in my case, with Märklin, there is a speed curve that is freely adjusted)
- RR offers the possibility to use 1, 2 or 3 sensors for each block
- among those I use 2 sensors per block (ENTER and IN), sometimes, for bi-directional blocks I use ENTER and IN or ENTER, ENTERSHORTIN and IN) and vice-versa of course for the other direction
- RR offers 4 speed adjustments per loco (V_min, V_mid, V_route and v_max. Lets focus only on V_mid and V_route
- of course not all trains have the same braking / acceleration and the same speed (heavy freight train and superfast trains and a whole spectrum in-between)
- RR, in its normal settings have a train travel at V_route speed between stations. As soon as the ENTER detector is active in front of a red signal, the speed is gently (thanks to the decoder in the loco) reduced to V_mid.
- When the train reaches the IN detector, then the speed is gently moved to zero.
- I use a standard length of 20 cm for the IN detector and the rest of the block length for the ENTER detector.
- I set decel/Accel value for the type of train and then I set the V_mid and V_route to have a precise stop before the signal and a route speed that correspond to the train type
- any train entering a block must have finished its deceleration (down to V_mid) BEFORE entering the IN section.

In 2 rails it may be a little more difficult depending where is the first pick-up wheel to set a precise stop UNLESS you use graphite paint on the insulator of wheels (esp. leading and trailing ones. You must in that case reach a resistance of 5 kOhms per axle.
The reward of all this is that ANY train can no be a shuttle train and still stop at the right place

Just to show my point, here is my 3 rail layout in operation (in cold France, it is winter nowBigGrin )

I hope I answered your question

Cheers
Jean
PS I tried to use BBT but I was not impressed by it so I prefer the method above

Edited by user 24 December 2023 22:10:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#3 Posted : 24 December 2023 23:53:23(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
As Jean said, by default Rocrail will set loco speed to zero once it reaches the IN sensor. Then the loco will stop according to the inertia settings of its decoder. If BBT is used, the loco will be moving at V_MIN speed by the time it reaches IN.

In some cases I wish to delay this action a bit (to make sure that the tail of the train clears a switch, or like). To achieve this, I have defined an action executed at the IN event that runs an XML macro computing how much longer the train needs to keep moving at V_MIN speed and commanding the loco to do so.

Initially I tried to fine-tune this by measuring the inertia behaviour of various locos to able to move them some specific distance, but later found this unnecessarily laborious. It was much simpler to standardise V_MIN to some reasonable value (I chose 20 km/h scale speed) and use this in the calculation.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
Offline applor  
#4 Posted : 25 December 2023 01:57:52(UTC)
applor

Australia   
You need to adjust your loco MIN speed settings in Rocrail so that their minimum speed results in the same speed so that they all stop in the same distance.

Ie. for freight locomotives with a slower cruise speed, their MIN speed might be set to 30, while an express locomotive with a faster Cruise speed you need to set the MIN to 15 or 20.
This way when they are both doing MIN speed, they are moving at the same speed.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Eddie7979  
#5 Posted : 26 December 2023 07:12:04(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the responses, I think I will need to adjust the length of the stopping area and look at the speed (as recommended).

Honestly, the Märklin locomotives tend to stop where I want them. The problem I have is the Roco locomotive I have that runs on DCC, it needs a longer stopping area. Admittedly, the Roco is probably more prototypical but unfortunately space is a bit of a challenge. I’d love to have any tips on changing the settings on a Roco if anybody out there wishes to share (other than placing it on a programming track).

I am yet to try my REE Modeles locomotive, which has the ESU decoder with Mfx capability.

The other thing I need to overcome is my obsession to have super long consists! Maybe a few shorter trains might make things a little easier.

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas wherever you are in the world.

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline Eddie7979  
#6 Posted : 26 December 2023 07:20:01(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Eddie

Thank you for your warm wishes. Merry Christmas to all of you too.
Here is a Rocrail (RR) fan using 3 rails and Märklin from France.

If I mention 3 rails, this is because the point of detection is very important for the point of stopping. In 3 rails, it is the first non-insulated axle while in 2 rails, it is the first voltage-picking axle that counts

With Rocrail, you have a very precise stopping point by using those principles (there may be other solutions and I don't know them all, far from it):
- all locos have a digital decoder with an adjustable inertia simulation (in my case, with Märklin, there is a speed curve that is freely adjusted)
- RR offers the possibility to use 1, 2 or 3 sensors for each block
- among those I use 2 sensors per block (ENTER and IN), sometimes, for bi-directional blocks I use ENTER and IN or ENTER, ENTERSHORTIN and IN) and vice-versa of course for the other direction
- RR offers 4 speed adjustments per loco (V_min, V_mid, V_route and v_max. Lets focus only on V_mid and V_route
- of course not all trains have the same braking / acceleration and the same speed (heavy freight train and superfast trains and a whole spectrum in-between)
- RR, in its normal settings have a train travel at V_route speed between stations. As soon as the ENTER detector is active in front of a red signal, the speed is gently (thanks to the decoder in the loco) reduced to V_mid.
- When the train reaches the IN detector, then the speed is gently moved to zero.
- I use a standard length of 20 cm for the IN detector and the rest of the block length for the ENTER detector.
- I set decel/Accel value for the type of train and then I set the V_mid and V_route to have a precise stop before the signal and a route speed that correspond to the train type
- any train entering a block must have finished its deceleration (down to V_mid) BEFORE entering the IN section.

In 2 rails it may be a little more difficult depending where is the first pick-up wheel to set a precise stop UNLESS you use graphite paint on the insulator of wheels (esp. leading and trailing ones. You must in that case reach a resistance of 5 kOhms per axle.
The reward of all this is that ANY train can no be a shuttle train and still stop at the right place

Just to show my point, here is my 3 rail layout in operation (in cold France, it is winter nowBigGrin )

I hope I answered your question

Cheers
Jean
PS I tried to use BBT but I was not impressed by it so I prefer the method above

Hi Jean,

I really love your layout, the locomotives are beautiful too!
I will take your advice and play around with the settings.

Joyeux Noël et bonne années!

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 26 December 2023 10:52:49(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Merci
Bonne année 2023 à toi ainsi qu'à vous tous
Jean
Offline applor  
#8 Posted : 28 December 2023 23:51:45(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Eddie7979 Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,
Honestly, the Märklin locomotives tend to stop where I want them. The problem I have is the Roco locomotive I have that runs on DCC, it needs a longer stopping area. Admittedly, the Roco is probably more prototypical but unfortunately space is a bit of a challenge. I’d love to have any tips on changing the settings on a Roco if anybody out there wishes to share (other than placing it on a programming track).

Eddie

This is because the Roco locomotive will be configured with a 3 point linear speed table, rather than Marklin locomotives which are always configured with a exponential speed table.
Therefore the Roco takes longer to stop and accelerate at any given speed.
You can re-program the Roco to an exponential speed curve, the same as the marklin.
I have done this myself as well for Roco and Brawa locomotives otherwise they take too long to stop and reach top speed - the exponential table looks and functions better in my opinion, you still get the really nice slow start chuffs without taking forever to start or stop.
I use lokprogrammer for Roco since they were ESU decoders, the Brawa I had to change manually with CV with its DH decoder but it will be different CV than for the ESU decoders.
Offline Eddie7979  
#9 Posted : 30 December 2023 07:17:55(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Eddie7979 Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

Eddie

This is because the Roco locomotive will be configured with a 3 point linear speed table, rather than Marklin locomotives which are always configured with a exponential speed table.
Therefore the Roco takes longer to stop and accelerate at any given speed.
You can re-program the Roco to an exponential speed curve, the same as the marklin.
I have done this myself as well for Roco and Brawa locomotives otherwise they take too long to stop and reach top speed - the exponential table looks and functions better in my opinion, you still get the really nice slow start chuffs without taking forever to start or stop.
I use lokprogrammer for Roco since they were ESU decoders, the Brawa I had to change manually with CV with its DH decoder but it will be different CV than for the ESU decoders.

Hello,

Interesting, I looked at the manual for the decoder to try figure out which CV to change. Unfortunately it doesn’t just come up with the table like the Marklin locomotives.

Has anyine used the CS2/3 to change the motor values of a Roco locomotive? I’d be keen to know how it’s done.

Here is the link to the manual:

http://www.zimo.at/web20...ts/MS-MN-Decoders_EN.pdf

I have to admit, the technical aspects is a bit beyond my technical abilities.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline applor  
#10 Posted : 03 January 2024 22:08:34(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Yes it is easy to make changes with CS2/CS3.

Looking at page 26, you want to change from a 3 point to a 28 point speed table. This means changing CV29 bit 4 from a 0 to a 1.
So default value is 14, (0000 1110 - this is bit 7 to bit 0, which is 8 + 4 + 2)
This means you want to change CV 29 to value 30 (0001 1110, which is 16 + 8 + 4 + 2)

So with your loco on the programming track, go to CV programming on your CS2/3. Have a look for CV29. If it's not there you can just manually add it, type 29.
First, read the CV which should come back with value 14.
Then enter value 30 and write the CV to the loco.

Done.
Offline Eddie7979  
#11 Posted : 06 January 2024 08:53:09(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Yes it is easy to make changes with CS2/CS3.

Looking at page 26, you want to change from a 3 point to a 28 point speed table. This means changing CV29 bit 4 from a 0 to a 1.
So default value is 14, (0000 1110 - this is bit 7 to bit 0, which is 8 + 4 + 2)
This means you want to change CV 29 to value 30 (0001 1110, which is 16 + 8 + 4 + 2)

So with your loco on the programming track, go to CV programming on your CS2/3. Have a look for CV29. If it's not there you can just manually add it, type 29.
First, read the CV which should come back with value 14.
Then enter value 30 and write the CV to the loco.

Done.

Hello,

This is a great start, I have just followed the instructions and changed CV#29 as required.

After testing the locomotive, I’m guessing that I have to start playing with CVs 67 to 94?
I was hoping to be able to choose the appropriate settings similar to Marklin.

In terms of tuning the acceleration and deacceleration, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Many regards,

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline Eddie7979  
#12 Posted : 08 January 2024 17:23:09(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Hi everyone,

Just an update, I followed the instruction regarding rhe CVs and then played around with the acceleration / brake delays.

I can now say it works just how I want it. I was. Bit confused since the values work a bit differently to Marklin, I guess it’s the difference in decoders.

Anyway, thanks to everyone here for helping me out. I’ve noted this down for future reference.

Regards,

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eddie7979
Offline mcs51  
#13 Posted : 12 March 2024 20:10:44(UTC)
mcs51

Belgium   
Hi Eddie,
But did you get the BBT to work?
That works perfectly to slow down a loc from Enter to In sensor.
Because the loc is always at low speed when it reaches the In sensor, it stops always at the same place.
For sure your Dutch is not ok but this video shows you how to configure it correctly CLIC
Note that it will not work from the first time.
Let the loc run few times through that bloc and watch it change "Afrem tijd" break time
Watch the actions needed to validate the break time from time 9:28 in the video.
Good luck
Alain
Offline Eddie7979  
#14 Posted : 18 March 2024 03:32:52(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mcs51 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Eddie,
But did you get the BBT to work?
That works perfectly to slow down a loc from Enter to In sensor.
Because the loc is always at low speed when it reaches the In sensor, it stops always at the same place.
For sure your Dutch is not ok but this video shows you how to configure it correctly CLIC
Note that it will not work from the first time.
Let the loc run few times through that bloc and watch it change "Afrem tijd" break time
Watch the actions needed to validate the break time from time 9:28 in the video.
Good luck
Alain

Hi Alain,

Thank you so much, I will check this out.

Since it’s summer here in Australia, I haven’t been working too much on my layout. In my spare time, I have been concentrating on the installation of lighting on some new coaches I have and I’m waiting for a couple of new locomotives as well.

In the next month I will look at this again and do some experimenting. This video will surely be helpful (it will test my language skills, i used to speak Flemish when I was kid but just haven’t used it much).

Many regards from Australia!

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail