Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline honovice  
#1 Posted : 04 December 2023 15:59:59(UTC)
honovice

United Kingdom   
Hi. I am returning to the hobby after many years and before digital. I am looking to set up a new layout and to use Marklin C track with iTrain to control some of my trains on the layout. I have been studying the iTrain manual and looking at the excellent videos online, but I have a couple of basic questions that I would like to get clear in my head, and I am hoping that someone running C Track and iTrain can help me with.

1. If I split all of my track, other than turnouts, into blocks(approx 30), am I right in thinking that when a loco enters a block, iTrain will automatically see its presence, without the need for cutting the tracks or insulating the blocks from each other?

2. Do I need to add decoders or sensors to each block to tell my controller - Z21 - that a train is occupying a block? If so what do people recommend?

3. Will iTrain also control signals automatically or will these also need decoder/sensors?
and finally,

4. If I want to run some trains manually from a mobile device using the Z21 app, I am assuming that I would need to run signals etc back to decoders so that I can switch them on and off - is this right.

Apologies if these questions are somewhat basic, but I want to understand fully what I need to do for a successful layout.

Many thanks for you help on this and I am sure future questions

A.
Offline PeFu  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2023 23:57:34(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: honovice Go to Quoted Post
Hi. I am returning to the hobby after many years and before digital. I am looking to set up a new layout and to use Marklin C track with iTrain to control some of my trains on the layout. I have been studying the iTrain manual and looking at the excellent videos online, but I have a couple of basic questions that I would like to get clear in my head, and I am hoping that someone running C Track and iTrain can help me with.

1. If I split all of my track, other than turnouts, into blocks(approx 30), am I right in thinking that when a loco enters a block, iTrain will automatically see its presence, without the need for cutting the tracks or insulating the blocks from each other?

2. Do I need to add decoders or sensors to each block to tell my controller - Z21 - that a train is occupying a block? If so what do people recommend?

3. Will iTrain also control signals automatically or will these also need decoder/sensors?
and finally,

4. If I want to run some trains manually from a mobile device using the Z21 app, I am assuming that I would need to run signals etc back to decoders so that I can switch them on and off - is this right.

Welcome to this forum, and back to the hobby!

1. A block is a certain length of a track between turnouts, that could fit your (longest) trains (see principle in the drawing below). If you have a long line between your turnouts, you could define several blocks on the line. iTrain will NOT automatically see the presence of trains within your blocks.

2. You need at least one sensor per block. Two sensors - one track piece at each end of the block - are better as then they could notify iTrain to initiate trains to BRAKE and STOP, in each direction. Adding a third sensor, for the track between the initial two sensors, is even better in order to provide OCCUPATED notification to iTrain.

For most blocks, I use two sensors only. A good software package knows where your trains are anyway. You need some hardware between the tracks and iTrain:

Most users here rely on the ”s88 feedback bus”. Then sensors need to be connected via m83 modules (Märklin 60832) to which you can connect 16 sensors. I use an alternative from Littfinski, the RM-88-N-O. There are a few more brands providing s88 feedback modules. With C track, you simply cut and isolate one rail on the sensor track(s), and let the the isolated rail to the s88 module, for reading when the track is occupied.

I notice that you are using the Roco z21. Or the Z21 Black? However, myself I’m a Märklin central station user and I guess you cannot apply the s88 bus directly. Then you would need e.g. a HSI-88 module from Littfinski, to connect between the feedback module and the computer.

There are probably other feedback buses than s88 that could be connected to the z21/Z21, but I’m not really familiar to the Roco control unit. My main concern is that you need to find a feedback module using ”earth connection” for reporting feedback. Two-rail feedback systems most often report on ”power consumption”, which you don’t want as it would only report OCCUPATED where the pickup-shoe is.

3. You need decoders to control turnouts and signals from iTrain. It’s easy to spend money in the digital world! The type of decoders you need depends on the type of turnout motors you go for - The Märklin way? The servo way? Same with signals, there are those that are digital from the box, there are those that need to be controlled by decoders providing short pulses, and there are those that simply have LED’s that you need to control with a switch type of decoder.

4. No. Running digital from a software package like iTrain, most users have signals for ”the show” only. I.e. the signals don’t control anything, especially not track power OFF/ON.

You will find more detailed help searching this forum or google the net. And of course, by asking directly in this forum.

Smile

IMG_2008.jpeg

Edited by user 05 December 2023 07:03:18(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline honovice  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2023 21:13:39(UTC)
honovice

United Kingdom   
Hi, and thank you for your clear and concise explanation, I am now much clearer as to what I need.
I am using the Z21 (black) if that changes anything.
One question arising:
Rather than having to cut the track, could I not use the red Marklin track isolators?

Thanks again

A
Offline PeFu  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2023 21:28:01(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: honovice Go to Quoted Post
One question arising:
Rather than having to cut the track, could I not use the red Marklin track isolators?

You need both to derive an isolated rail for your feedback sensor! ”Cutting C tracks” means cutting the two connections between the two rails on each sensor track. The red insulators are needed to separate the sensor rail from other tracks. Below is an excellent clip describing how to make feedback tracks/sensors.

?si=KAzz18bRJG8QE7eR
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10