Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rytter  
#1 Posted : 26 November 2023 23:12:12(UTC)
rytter

Denmark   
I am working on my first fully digital layout, and I am looking for a decoder to control power to signal blocks and signal control.
I am using a Märklin CS3+ for train control. I am looking into Märklin 60842 decoder, as it seems to fulfill my needs fine, but it comes with a hefty price tag for only control of 4 different sections.
Anyone knows a decodes which can be used instead? I will be using Viessmann signals, an no brake modules to keep price down. It is simply power on/off for the power section, together with red/green on the block signals.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 27 November 2023 00:11:16(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Rytter
Here a CS3 user from France in combination with Märklin HO and Rocrail.
Yes the 60842 is rather expensive and this is because (1) it does many things (control signal colour, control isulated section, has control entries addtional to digital control, can MFX, DCC and MM2 and (2) It is fair to say Märklin is not the cheapest of them all.

If you present set-up includes DCC and MM2 (you have not locked these protocols on the CS3) then you have many other decoder solutions like IEK (S DEC DCC, the cheapest I think), DigitalBahn (WeichZwei 4-fach Schaltausgang, only in DCC).

I used to buy IEK kits with 4 relays but can't find them anymore.

Another strange solution: Use Rocrail
- don't need anymore stop sections and signals (except for cosmetic purposes)
- don't need any brake modules (pretty expensive with Märklin and a lot of wiring
- Rocrail is NOT free but you may use it first (all free download without restrictions) and then you decide what is your contribution (0, 12€ or more per year). This is a great product with a great forum and interactive documentation
- additional cost: for me a CAT5 cable and I use my personal laptop

The résult on my layout is this

Cheers
Jean
Offline Tie  
#3 Posted : 27 November 2023 18:10:52(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Must admit I am not familiar with the old analog way with blocks without power. It seems to me You try to drag the old ways into the digital system. You should look into the sensors/feed back system and use cs3 with events or rocrail or similar instead. At least. Make the required contact tracks with cables when building. You will probably go for this in the future. Sound, smoke, light etc can be set on some time prior to train starts.
Regards
Thor
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 27 November 2023 19:01:03(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: rytter Go to Quoted Post
I am looking into Märklin 60842 decoder, as it seems to fulfill my needs fine, but it comes with a hefty price tag for only control of 4 different sections.
It can control 8 sections with its 8 outputs, using either 4 or 8 addresses.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline jump  
#5 Posted : 27 November 2023 19:21:30(UTC)
jump

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: rytter Go to Quoted Post
I am working on my first fully digital layout, and I am looking for a decoder to control power to signal blocks and signal control.
I am using a Märklin CS3+ for train control. I am looking into Märklin 60842 decoder, as it seems to fulfill my needs fine, but it comes with a hefty price tag for only control of 4 different sections.
Anyone knows a decodes which can be used instead? I will be using Viessmann signals, an no brake modules to keep price down. It is simply power on/off for the power section, together with red/green on the block signals.

Here's how I implemented the control of my bridge with LDT TT-DEC decoder : https://jumping-jack-fla.../ateliers/pont-tournant/
Marklin H0: CS2, iTrain
Marklin Z
LGB