Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Märklin-3D-printer  
#1 Posted : 17 November 2023 09:33:35(UTC)
Märklin-3D-printer

Denmark   
Hows the lay of the lands when it comes to Märklin HO (or other types) and 3D printing things?

I've been playing with printing, well, anything possible, and selling it for a reasonable price. The realm of 3D printing is only limited by your imagination, and ofc! the size of your 3D printer!
My 3D printer print capacity is 235mmx235mmx250mm but printing larger things only requires a bit of assembly and glue of a kind.
The outcome, is almost as precise as you want it- but small parts less than 1x1cm is more difficoult to make.

Anyways - what's your thoughts on the subject? Worth persuing? or a dud?.... ^^

-The maker-
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 17 November 2023 10:50:35(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Well, according to Märklinofsweden it´s the egg of the golden goose!
Also, another youtuber "Sam´s Trans" is getting quite good at it too...

Is your printer resin or filament¿?

In my logic, the 3D-printers will soon replace any other machining and tools, so adquiering some skills looks like a good idea.

The future of model railroading will probably depend on 3D printing completly.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 17 November 2023 11:17:21(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
A lot of people are doing it, and I have seen single mold complete ho scale coach bodies. Does a more expensive printer do that? Different resins are available as well.
Offline Toosmall  
#4 Posted : 17 November 2023 12:16:11(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
If a 3D printer can do this, Z gauge, 5.9mm wide Schmidt street cleaner including glazing for the cab. I'll buy one (I have been doing 3D for a few decades, but never bought a printer).

_MG_7845_073851.jpg

_MG_7846_073847.jpg

& Z gauge glazed hand built Land Rover while at it.

_MG_7747_031155.jpg

or even a Z gauge Unimog... with glazing!

_MG_7842_073854.jpg

_MG_7835_123422.jpg
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 18 November 2023 00:21:18(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
An English gentleman on one of the German Railways forums is doing the complete body of a German era II/III timber sided van design for a 3D printer.
He has not yet printed it and he will use the chassis/wheels from a RTR model.

UserPostedImage

It will be interesting to see the result.
That design will probably take hours and hours to print.

If you are interested, this is the forum:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/...railways-of-germany-f13/
Search for butterwagen.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 18 November 2023 14:55:11(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Märklin-3D-printer Go to Quoted Post
Hows the lay of the lands when it comes to Märklin HO (or other types) and 3D printing things?

I've been playing with printing, well, anything possible, and selling it for a reasonable price. The realm of 3D printing is only limited by your imagination, and ofc! the size of your 3D printer!
My 3D printer print capacity is 235mmx235mmx250mm but printing larger things only requires a bit of assembly and glue of a kind.
The outcome, is almost as precise as you want it- but small parts less than 1x1cm is more difficoult to make.

Anyways - what's your thoughts on the subject? Worth persuing? or a dud?.... ^^

-The maker-

I've bought a small printer that uses filament. It has about 100mm cube workspace. I got it to try various 3D printing things including doing accessories for MRR. Trolling around the various web site repositories of 3D printing projects shows items from Z gauge trees and buildings to H0 loco and wagon bodies.

I believe for the best surface finish a resin printer gives the best results.

Marklin certainly use 3D printers when making prototype models, and have done for at least 15, probably nearer 20 years to test fit and form. This can sometimes be picked up in the New Items brochures by looking at the surface finish of the painting. I remember an NI brochure some years ago where this was quite obvious, as the picture on the front cover showed significant 'orange peel' effect in the paint which I believe was the underlying 3D print surface finish showing through. IIRC it was when the Alco PA1 in UP livery was introduced.

If you watched the second series of the TV program 'Hornby, A Model World' that came out here in the UK about 12-18 months ago, you see them playing with a 3D printer for producing prototype items for fit tests.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
bph
Offline revmox  
#7 Posted : 19 November 2023 04:18:23(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
I've had a basic 3D printer for a couple of years and have used it to create a range of things for my layout and other interests. I'll pass on my impressions for those that might be tempted to give 3D printing a try.

I've got an entry level Ender 3 printer with the following basic specs -

Ender 3 Specs.jpg

It looks like this -

Ender 3 Image.jpg

It is really quite useful and I've created level crossings, buffer stops, coupler pockets and some basic scenery items but using it to create a piece of rolling stock good enough to run on my layout is beyond my ability and, I think, probably beyond the capability of this basic machine - at least without some major changes. I just can't get the surface finish and fine detail I would be happy with - then it needs painting.

Hopefully there are some experts out there on this forum who can provide solid advice on the type of machine and material that might produce an acceptable item so others can buy something that they're not disappointed in.

I'll also note that it takes a bit of skill and aptitude to master the creation of a complex 3D model with fine detail on a computer, then slice that design to produce the commands to control the printer, and to then have all the many printer settings just right to get a good product.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from giving 3D printing a try - but a budget machine might be a disappointment.

The image below shows the best finish I have been able to achieve on a carriage for shot glasses - with bogies taken from a 4473.

Shot Carriage.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by revmox
Offline fbaube  
#8 Posted : 20 November 2023 20:02:32(UTC)
fbaube

Finland   
I would like to be able to get a model of my home and 3-D print it.

Maybe put a Santa sleigh on top of it :-D

That would mean taking lots of pictures/video and passing it all to a suitable program.

Does anyone have any experience here ?

fred
märklin n00b - two digital/C-track starter sets
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by fbaube
Offline dave55uk  
#9 Posted : 20 November 2023 23:18:52(UTC)
dave55uk

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: fbaube Go to Quoted Post

That would mean taking lots of pictures/video and passing it all to a suitable program.

fred

A friend of mine, here in Ely, does some fantastic 3D printing, and he designs
stuff himself. Go to his Facebook page and see!

https://www.facebook.com/mailisomodels/

Please mention me if you contact him. His name is Les.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dave55uk
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 21 November 2023 00:19:52(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

The other alternative is to draw it in a CAD program. This would allow you to draw each wall seperately and then print them flat so you wouldn't need supports. If you employ some trickery you could probably use windows and doors from existing Faller/Kibri/Vollmer etc kits. You can get doors and windows from US and UK suppliers for kitbashing building that may be a suitable alternative.

Effectively make your own Faller kit, for want of a better way of looking at it.

Suitable CAD program to try would be FreeCAD. Some MRR planning software also allows you to draw up buildings as well.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
#11 Posted : 21 November 2023 10:20:01(UTC)
Märklin-3D-printer

Denmark   

fred

You cant just take pictures of your house and turn them into a good looking 3d model sadly! :( I've tried that with larger objects than fits my scanning matt - and it turned out bulky and wonkey :(
To make a model of your home printable, best way is to actually 3D scan it - and a handheld 3D scanner is really not cheap! :S hehe...
2nd -more do'able option, is to model you house in a 3d program yourself. Do a test in Windows 3D builder - its not superb and havnet got any real texture features- but the raw house can be modelled just fine, it doesnt matter if its solid or not- that can be fixed in the pre-printing process.

But as others also mention - the FDM printers as the Ender 3 shown in a post, dont print tiny details as cars - or street sweepers, in great details - and windows in cars are next to impossible to print as it dont stand a chance of getting transparant. but transparant plastic sheets can be heated into the body after printing to resemble the car windows.

If you want to make stuff like the Z scale things - you NEED a resin printer - the detail lvl is simply to great for a FDM printer. The resin printers however - emits hazardous fumes when printing, so the absolutely need a vented enviroment when printing, I've seen examples of ppl entering a resin print room without masks -and ending up on the ICU... xD

FDM printers have come a long way since the Ender series though! the CR6-SE I have, can do more details than Ender 3 can, because of a upgraded spring free print bed that prevents shakings when the printer changes direction, it matters not when printing less detailed things, but the greater the detail, the slower you must print to prevent "tremors" might end up visible in the final print.

A really good thing about FDM printers, is the price - they're not that expensive- the Ender 3 Pro or max - both has been updated to new standards - but remains a less than 300€ printer.
In the other FDM end - is the Bambu Lab X1 Carbon - a brand new 3D printer on the marked - PACKED with goodies! and a wee bigger price.... 1800-2000€... But, it offers 4 colour printing, and utterly insane print speeds!

Could talk for hours of pro's and lack of con's for 3D printing things... but, I've also got to work a bit today hehe...
As a end comment, once you've printed something - you gotta paint it ofc!
I printed a tiny Ticket to Ride train set for our board game - and my daughter asked if she could paint the test print i made with nail polish... it actually ended up looking like a tiny prof factory paint job! and painting buildings with an air brush - ends up great as well. so painting 3d prints, isnt a problem at all :)

-the Maker

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Märklin-3D-printer
#12 Posted : 21 November 2023 11:57:48(UTC)
Märklin-3D-printer

Denmark   
A car such as this one, would take me 4½ hour to make - and cost perhaps 15-25€ without any post processing. and ofc - that's with 100% standard material, if u want a copper look chariot - it'll cost you alot more! :P

Skaermbillede 2023-11-21 115258.png

but, this'll give those that dont know much about it, an idea of price and time :)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Märklin-3D-printer
Offline Tie  
#13 Posted : 25 November 2023 11:05:30(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Do not know if I agree with price. Probablly if you include printer price(part of) new FEP occasionally, cleaner, procure wheels etc. but for the resin itself price should be less. Also you would need to procure the model. But then you can print a whole los of choosen design.
I am good at 3d modelling(part of my job) but details is timeconsumig. I have both an extruder printer and resinprinter. Th resin for detailed small prints(my signal project) the extruder for buildings that needs to be glued together from printed parts. Main thing for me. It is fun
And my buildings are unique except for originals in a small german town from which I made the models
Regards and they will need coating
Thor
IMG_6729.jpegIMG_6547.jpeg IMG_6725.png (8,635kb) downloaded 29 time(s).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Tie
Offline Tie  
#14 Posted : 25 November 2023 11:27:36(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Final pic. Note windows in church and IMG_6725.png (8,635kb) downloaded 29 time(s).loco shed also pallets wheels oil drums is also printed on extruder printer, but more/smaller details on extruder is difficult.
Regards
Thor

IMG_6725.png (8,635kb) downloaded 29 time(s).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tie
#15 Posted : 27 November 2023 09:50:48(UTC)
Märklin-3D-printer

Denmark   
Hey Thor.

I admit that the price's are a semi-qualified guess, as I usually dont deal in €'s :) - but the price I'm usually working with is Filament price + power consumption of the printer during print. I've tested what my CR6-SE uses during a hour of printing and that's what i base price's on when people ask me, or I tell such as here.
When that's said - the type of Cura is told to use, obviously changes price as well! and when I sliced the wagon - it was set to us a silky cobber filament and not the filament I'd use when making something that's to be painted xD

The price with my standard filament "Prima Creator Easy Print in white" when including a bit for power consumption, is around 3-5€.
You are 100% correct about the resin beeing best for details ofc - but FDM printers is overall best to start out with- and they're not as problematic to use as they dont require the model to be UV-cured after printing, the standard nozzle size of a FDM printer is 0.4mm but, you can buy a nozzle with a 0.2mm hole and use, but that almost increase the print time by 4... so, more details = MUCH more print time, when printing on FDM at least.
And you'll still never beat a Resin printer in detail level hehe xD If I'm not mistaken, there are some Resin printers out now, in a afordable price range, that both prints and can cure models after print is done. But, I've not put much attention in the Resin printing ways.

-The Maker-
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Märklin-3D-printer
Offline revmox  
#16 Posted : 27 November 2023 11:42:46(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
I'll back up The Maker's comments and reiterate what I said in my earlier post.

A basic FDM (Fibre Deposition Modelling or filament printer) is cheap and a great asset for model railroading and many other activities. In the last month I have knocked up some scenery items, a holder for a 5G modem to put it in the corner of the window beside my computer (160Mb sitting on the desk, 400Mb in the window), made some replacement sliding door guides that are no longer available for my 50 year old house and a holder for the aftermarket reversing camera in an old truck that I keep around because it's quite handy for friends and family.

All easy and cheap - but it is unrealistic to expect the sort of detail you would find on a modern commercial model.

As The Maker says - an FDM printer is a good place to start ...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by revmox
Offline Tie  
#17 Posted : 27 November 2023 17:02:25(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Agree with both of you. Must admit I newer thought of the energy cost at all. In Norway most electrical power comes from hydro-electric plants or wind power plants. When installed power is at low cost…
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tie
Offline revmox  
#18 Posted : 27 November 2023 21:36:04(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
I hadn't ever given much thought to the cost of 3D printing on the assumption it was negligible. But, as I still had my machine set up from the modem bracket job, I took some measurements to satisfy my curiosity.

The modem bracket was actually a largish job by my standards. The finished job took 3 and a bit hours with the printer on high quality (slow) settings. It used 8 metres of 1.7mm PLA filament at a cost of 82 cents. It took 0.39kWh to produce at 13 cents with my electricity rate of 33c/kWh. So total cost $0.95 AUD.

However, there were 3 prototype runs to get the design right, I usually do these at double speed and with the big sections at half thickness and often the print doesn't even have to be completed to check you are on the right track, so I'm thinking something like $2.50 AUD all up - about 1.50 euro.

Add in maintenance bits and pieces for the printer of $30 - $40 a year.

Anyway, if you are collecting Marklin, I guess you stopped worrying about money a long time ago ...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by revmox
#19 Posted : 28 November 2023 08:39:20(UTC)
Märklin-3D-printer

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: revmox Go to Quoted Post
Anyway, if you are collecting Marklin, I guess you stopped worrying about money a long time ago ...

HAHAHA! you're SOOOO correct on that one mate! xD
If in doubt if you can afford - Märklin AIN'T your choice! :S

I kick my self in the butt every day for giving away my Märklin as 15year old - would've been over 1000€'s worth of trains, rails and buildings today! :'( Stupid stupid me back then! :S
About the power price's - I live in Denmark - and the kw/h aint cheap here sadly hehe- for those that don't have a power tester to check it with, my CR6-SE uses largely the same as a gaming computer while running, almost double in heatup period, but thats only 2 or 3 mins :) its around 160-180w for the duration of printing ^^

-Gotta get me a Resin at some point though!-

-The Maker-
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Märklin-3D-printer