Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PeFu  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2023 19:13:12(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
I’m installing a ”train guard” (Fahrdienstleiter?) with movable arm. It’s a Viessmann 1513 and it will be located on a platform. However, now it comes to my mind that I don’t have a single clue on when nor how the train guard directed the trains on Swiss platforms? I couldn’t find any help on the net, and I don’t even know the name of this position in Switzerland?

Confused

Not a big thing, but fun! BigGrin

IMG_0897.jpeg
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2023 20:12:00(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Not sure if this helps, but it does appear to be SBB

UserPostedImage

slightly different, but as you say "Fun" !
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline Unholz  
#3 Posted : 16 November 2023 08:07:13(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Adding to the previous post, here is an other typical guy (picture 17): https://etb-infra.ch/de/...ction=gallery&cid=17
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline PeFu  
#4 Posted : 16 November 2023 09:00:27(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Our fellow forum member Unholz kindly informed by PM as follows:

”Fahrdienstleiter is rather a modern word, but it is also in use in Switzerland nowadays. You might find more typical Swiss pictures with search terms such as:

- Bahnhofvorstand (station master)
- Abfertigungsbeamter (the guy responsible for the departure of the train, like your model)
- Abfertigungskelle (the signalling thing in his hand)”

Searching the net, I noted that at least the red color of the hat was prototypical at some time. (There is a prototype for everything!) I should add a thin white stripe on the Abfertigungskelle, but I don’t want to hazard the mechanics…

Now, I’m searching for a video clip that could help finding out the routine of the Abfertigungsbeamter at train departures: When does he raise the Abfertigungskelle? Does he blow the whistle? Etc.

Smile
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Unholz  
#5 Posted : 16 November 2023 19:44:06(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post
Our fellow forum member Unholz kindly informed by PM as follows:

[i](...)
Searching the net, I noted that at least the red color of the hat was prototypical at some time. (There is a prototype for everything!) I should add a thin white stripe on the Abfertigungskelle, but I don’t want to hazard the mechanics…

Now, I’m searching for a video clip that could help finding out the routine of the Abfertigungsbeamter at train departures: When does he raise the Abfertigungskelle? Does he blow the whistle?

If I remember correctly, the upper red part was kind of a (removable) coating that distinguished the "guy in charge" or the "chief Abfertigungsbeamter". As you can see in the first picture, it was not always considered as necessary (for instance in smaller stations or when only one train was about to leave).

The raising of the Abfertigungskelle was the very last sequence of the train departure (when everybody and everything was ready and when the time of departure had arrived). Before, the "Bremsprobe" had to be carried through (the checking of the functioning of the brakes) in those cases when the train consist had been freshly assembled and/or a locomotive had been added. It was also necessary that the train crew and (if present) the mail and baggage people had signalled to the Abfertigungsbeamter that they were ready. This signalling was done by raising one arm/hand and occasionally by blowing a whistle.

It is possible that the Abfertigungsbeamter also blew a whistle, but only to attract the attention of the other staff or in case something was unusual.

Welcome to Swiss railway procedures in the good old days... BigGrin

Oops, one more thing: Here it was a actually not only a "raising" of the Abfertigungskelle, but a sidewise movement of the gadget up to the moment when the train started to move. And did you know that the Kelle should be green with a white stripe on one side and white with a green stripe on the other? The Abfertigungs-Guy always held it in a manner that the Kelle was visible against the background in the best possible manner.

Searching for a video? How about this, especially at minute 5:58. Also an excellent video to learn the Swiss German language: BigGrin BigGrin
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline Unholz  
#6 Posted : 17 November 2023 16:08:43(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
One more video, this time more than 40 years old, of the ancient Eglisau station and its Abfertigungsbeamter swinging the Kelle at minute 2:20:
https://www.srf.ch/play/...ZD-B5xIoHF6RAxg0Gqm11exo
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 17 November 2023 16:42:18(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
One more video, this time more than 40 years old, of the ancient Eglisau station and its Abfertigungsbeamter swinging the Kelle at minute 2:20:

Video not available in my location ???
Offline PeFu  
#8 Posted : 17 November 2023 19:18:20(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post

Video not available in my location ???

Same for me, ”…only available in Switzerland”, unfortunately. A pity, as the SRF have a lot of interesting movies…

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Unholz  
#9 Posted : 18 November 2023 08:20:38(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Sorry to hear about this obstacle, but you can easily watch the SRF videos from outside Switzerland by using a VPN on your computer (many provider options available, from free to "costs a fortune"; personally, I use "Private Internet Access" on my Mac, https://www.privateinternetaccess.com ).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Unholz
bph
Offline Mark5  
#10 Posted : 21 November 2023 05:54:11(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Wow. Swiss German is really ...special!
At times it has distant echoes of Dutch and Swedish to my ear.

A good vpn is worth every penny. NordVPN has worked for me for a long time.

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5