Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline akerstdi  
#1 Posted : 13 November 2023 04:55:32(UTC)
akerstdi

United States   
Hello all! A few years ago, I was moving a lot for my job and decided to sell off all my Marklin. Well, I am finally settled and was looking into getting back into the hobby. Ive been perusing Reynaulds.com(best source for Americans as far as I know) and I don't see the variety of locomotives that I remember. I specifically was looking for engines like 37754, 36864, 37258, and 31040. But I haven't seen anything like them in Marklin's catalog. I especially wanted to get the 37258 "Kittle" but don't see it anymore. Overall there just seems to be less variety available. Am I missing something? If I am, I would really appreciate any info or advice anyone has.

Cheers,
Doran
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by akerstdi
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 13 November 2023 05:39:42(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Märklin don’t hold items in the catalogue for very long now. In the old days a loco could be available for ten years, now it may only be a year or two, then something else replaces it. Then it may reappear later.

If you have specific models in mind the searching eBay may be your best option.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2023 09:30:09(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Doran, Reynolds buys collections and frequently sends emails of items on consignment for sale. These are several pages of their Marklin items on the website.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline rhfil  
#4 Posted : 13 November 2023 16:04:27(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
The older Marklin items are available from resellers and at train shows. You just have to be patient about them and do a lot of watching. I have accumulated most of their Era I and II locos that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 14 November 2023 10:16:02(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Unless it's a European train enthusiast hosted show, I have only seen any Marklin at one in my area.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline rhfil  
#6 Posted : 14 November 2023 15:02:26(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I am a member of ETE-ENE and we always have a table at shows we attend in Massachusetts where we sell donated and member items. The closest to New York is the Springfield show in January. But there are plenty of Marklin items for sale online. Just have to look for them.
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 14 November 2023 18:10:23(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
You are much more likely to find older models from shops in Europe. I routinely have to order models from Switzerland (and occasionally Germany or Austria) as North American dealers are not keen on stocking too much AC. Here in the States, AJCKids and Micro Macro Mundo seem to be among the better ones for inventory. Reynaulds has a pretty good list, but does not tell you what is in stock and what might not be available. Sunbird Train Mart used to publish their stock list, but I think they are closed now.

For models like the Kittel, you should try big dealers in Germany like Schweickhardt, Lippe, etc

Good luck with your search

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline rhfil  
#8 Posted : 14 November 2023 18:39:30(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline artfull dodger  
#9 Posted : 19 November 2023 01:34:44(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Watch all those sources posted above, along with Ebay obviously. There is also Euro Rail Hobbies out on the West coast that is a good source for Marklin or anything else European train related, then you have Micro Macro Mundo down in Florida, Ormandy's in Medina Ohio. Model Bahn OTT out in eastern PA and AJCkids in Texas that are excellent sources. I use AJCkids for modern/new Marklin more than Reynaulds. But I always check both and everybody else. I just found some great vintage Marklin at a show in Indiana today and will be buying more from them as they are pairing down their collection and I want to build a small layout soon.
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline analogmike  
#10 Posted : 19 November 2023 01:49:05(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
https://www.trainz.com/collections/marklin https://www.modellbahn.com/HowToOrder.html Also

Stay away from Trainz.com Too many complaints.
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline analogmike  
#11 Posted : 19 November 2023 01:51:18(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Originally Posted by: akerstdi Go to Quoted Post
Hello all! A few years ago, I was moving a lot for my job and decided to sell off all my Marklin. Well, I am finally settled and was looking into getting back into the hobby. Ive been perusing Reynaulds.com(best source for Americans as far as I know) and I don't see the variety of locomotives that I remember. I specifically was looking for engines like 37754, 36864, 37258, and 31040. But I haven't seen anything like them in Marklin's catalog. I especially wanted to get the 37258 "Kittle" but don't see it anymore. Overall there just seems to be less variety available. Am I missing something? If I am, I would really appreciate any info or advice anyone has.

Cheers,
Doran

Try calling Robert Frowenfeld at RJF trains. He has lots of stuff
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline artfull dodger  
#12 Posted : 19 November 2023 04:33:26(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
For the right price, and if your able to work on your own trains, I still would buy from Trainz. Just keep in mind most of the employees have no clue. So look at pics closely, zoom in and buy if the price and vibe is right. I have done well thus far, knocks on wood, buying a few pieces from them. Both vintage Lionel(pre and post war) and Marklin.
Offline akerstdi  
#13 Posted : 24 November 2023 03:25:01(UTC)
akerstdi

United States   
Thanks everyone for all the responses! I'll just have to do some searching to find the models I am looking for or take the time and search for some used ones.
Cheers everyone!BigGrin
Offline artfull dodger  
#14 Posted : 24 November 2023 05:08:30(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Good luck in your hunt. A post here as well of an itemized list of your wants is also a great plan. Many times collectors here will have excess items. I wanted one of the red E18 locomotives and my wife ended up getting the best deal on one from a gentleman in Germany. I will gladly purchase from dealers and individuals overseas as long as it feels right and the price is what I am looking to spend. Marklin is truly a global hobby. Especially for those of us in the USA were its in the minority in the grand scheme of model railroading. Happy hunting from Indiana!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline bgemski  
#15 Posted : 28 December 2023 15:44:55(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
https://www.trainz.com/collections/marklin https://www.modellbahn.com/HowToOrder.html Also

Stay away from Trainz.com Too many complaints.

I agree, I had issues with them in the past. I will say it did get resolved but a hassle. One oreder couldn't be fulfilled due to not in stock, and another issue was the grading for the condition was way off and the item in question had missing couplers and broken detail parts. Buyer beware, look elsewhere.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bgemski
Offline Vinedusk  
#16 Posted : 30 December 2023 01:36:22(UTC)
Vinedusk

Australia   
Originally Posted by: akerstdi Go to Quoted Post

Cheers,
Doran

Now you must play the pre-order game if you want something, guaranteed. Otherwise it's a short window of opportunity to get the model after it's release. After that, you'll be waiting for someone who really wanted the model to lose interest in it and sell it.

Modelbahn Rhein-Main regularly updates with batches of second hand items. I have a few orders from them; all seems OK (they used to be BimmelBahn).

Good luck with your model-hunts.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Vinedusk
Offline PJMärklin  
#17 Posted : 30 December 2023 10:55:45(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Vinedusk Go to Quoted Post
Modelbahn Rhein-Main regularly updates with batches of second hand items. I have a few orders from them; all seems OK ...

I have been buying from them for a few years.
They seem to check the merchandise very well and give detailed description. I have bought a fair amount from them and have never found fault in the models received or maldescription from their website.
I find them to be excellent - reasonable and prompt postage to the antipodes, excellent quality stock and packed for posting with great protective care.
They have a remarkable variety, quantity and quality of offerings.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Luther Z  
#18 Posted : 31 December 2023 18:53:45(UTC)
Luther Z

United States   
Hello All, I'm new to the forum but have been collecting Marklin for almost 30 years. For the last few years I have been buying primarily from Euro Model Trains in New Jersey, Michael typically has the best prices on new items. I also buy from AJC Kids on occasion.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Luther Z
Offline Vinedusk  
#19 Posted : 01 January 2024 05:28:11(UTC)
Vinedusk

Australia   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Vinedusk Go to Quoted Post
Modelbahn Rhein-Main regularly updates with batches of second hand items. I have a few orders from them; all seems OK ...

I have been buying from them for a few years.
They seem to check the merchandise very well and give detailed description. I have bought a fair amount from them and have never found fault in the models received or maldescription from their website.
I find them to be excellent - reasonable and prompt postage to the antipodes, excellent quality stock and packed for posting with great protective care.
They have a remarkable variety, quantity and quality of offerings.

Agreed.

Check the bottom of any page there; its shows some info about upcoming releases into the shop.