Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline bolabola2  
#1 Posted : 31 October 2023 00:24:21(UTC)
bolabola2

Denmark   
Hi everyone.

I hope one of you can help me.

I have an issue with an old Maerklin FX locomotive from around 2000 (Diesel locomotive from the 29845 starter set). It has the motor equivalent to 60941. It hasn't run much (maybe 5 hours). When running it at low speeds (below about 50-60%) it runs smoothly. But when running at higher speeds it starts to jerk and runs unevenly reducing its speed temporarily every 50 - 100 cm's. The light on the train doesn't seem to dim when it happens.

I have tried the following:
- Cleaning the track.
- Oilling the locomotive.
- Checked the brushes.
- Running it on a track layout with no other locos on it.

I have also tried running it on a analog track, and here the jerkiness seems to set in at much lower speeds.

When running the locomotive on a rolling track in digital mode, it doesn't seem to happen nearly as much - not sure I can notice any jerkiness. Maybe because the motor doesn't have to content with hauling the weight of the locomotive.

I have other FX locomotives from the same time period (2000 - 2003), that doesn't exhibit that behavior on my layout.

Any ideas on what the issue might be, would be very much appreciated.

Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 31 October 2023 01:28:23(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Bolabola
Welcome to our great forum.
One possibility is for a new loco that almost never ran for 20 years, that the ground return by the wheels is not so good (accumulation of old oil in the axle bearings.
I say this because everybody cleans the wheels and rails but forget the axle bearings and the top of studs (soft iron that can get corroded.

One simple way is to let the loco run for a while at a medium speed on a loop.
After some time, the fresh oil you put in the axles helps pushing the dirt inside and improve the contact.
Cheers
Jean

Edited by user 31 October 2023 10:02:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Bill L  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2023 03:48:49(UTC)
Bill L

United States   
Another suggestion is to clean the armature 5-pole commutator, and remove any carbon dust that is trapped between the copper gaps (5 gaps to clean). Sometimes the carbon/graphite collects there due to long term use where the graphite is slowly rubbed off and collects there. Over-oiling also makes the carbon dust collect there.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bill L
Offline bolabola2  
#4 Posted : 31 October 2023 17:47:53(UTC)
bolabola2

Denmark   
Hi Jean and Bill.

Thank you very much both for your replies.

I tried your solution, Jean. I ran the locomotive at 50% speed for 30 minutes, while having a nice cup of warm coffee. And it worked!! I can now run the locomotive at higher or full speed with barely any jerkiness at all. Wonderful when a solution is that simple BigGrin.

Unfortunately I can't open the motor cover to get to the commutators without desoldering some of the wires. If I build up the courage to put a soldering iron to my locomotive at some point, I will definitely look at that.

Again, I can't thank you enough for your input. Funny how you can get quite affectionate about your very old locomotives BigGrin.

Cheers
Bo

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bolabola2
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 31 October 2023 22:30:02(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Glad it worked.
I suggest you avoid opening the brushholder unless a real need as you may break the induction coil wires. This is something you do for heavy maintenance after long usage (200 to 1000 hours).
Tip: a cotton swab on which you remove most of the cotton allows you to clean the brush guide and collector without opening the motor.
Cheers
Jean