Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kiwiracer  
#1 Posted : 18 September 2023 10:18:15(UTC)
kiwiracer

New Zealand   
I have a Bachmann Hong Kong Tram Car that I am going to incorporate into my Marklin layout.

It is 2 rail so I am going to use Trix C-Gleis to run it on. However I cannot find any information as to the voltage to run it on. I suspect probably 12V DC.
Any help would be appreciated.

hong kong tram car.jpg

Released in 2011 and limited to 500 pieces.
Bachmann CE00601

Cheers Brett
Don't dodge difficulties, meet and defeat them. (Anon)
Anyone can eat an elephant, one bite at a time (Anon)
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 18 September 2023 12:33:48(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Hello kiwiracer! Yes,it is 12 volts d.c. I have not seen a double deck one before.monky the Brill. Design trolleys by Bachman here in the USA.
Offline heinrichhess  
#3 Posted : 18 September 2023 13:29:32(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
Bachmann 36-560 Train Control System 12 Volt 0.7A DC just make Shure the small wheel set's can clear switches
backmam.jpg

hess
Offline kiwiracer  
#4 Posted : 20 September 2023 05:12:44(UTC)
kiwiracer

New Zealand   
Thanks Guys, this confirms what I suspected the voltage to be.

Will now look into sourcing a suitable controller to run it with.

Probably only running it in a circle or oval so should have no problem with turnouts etc.

Cheers
Brett
Offline Mr. Ron  
#5 Posted : 20 September 2023 19:16:33(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
When I started in model railroading, my first locomotive was the Varney dockside. That was around 1947. There wasn't much around . There was truscale, Silver Streak, Ambroid, Atlas and Mantua. My first layout was powered by a 12 volt storage battery and a wire wound rheostat. Things have changed a lot since then. We laid our own track using Truscale roadbed and code 100 steel rail. The Truscale roadbed was self gaging and looked very prototype. Using a pair of needlenose pliers, we could spike a lot of rail. For the more adventurest, some were using cardboard ties under their rails. We even made our own turnouts. We didn't have switch machines. We used thin wire rod that ran parallel to the track to throw turnouts. That was copied after prototype turnout control in those days. In the o scale world, many were running outside third rail; very realistic and prototype. I think there may be a layout still using third rail. I tried to build a third rail layout in HO scale, but it didn't work out. Probably with today's technology, HO third rail might be possible. Macys department store in New York City always had a huge model railroad layout running at Christmas time. It was Lionel, but it was very extensive. I remember there was a display in a model railroad store on 45th street of a Varney dockside running on a 12 inch phonograph record. It was running counter to the rotation of the phonograph. It ran and ran continously for I don't know how long. I am 88 years old and I'm sure there are some around my age that remember my experiences.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline dickinsonj  
#6 Posted : 21 September 2023 01:17:28(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
It is so good to hear from you Mr. Ron.

I particularly like the Macy's tie in. The be all and end all of model RR displays that I could watch run for hours on end.

Your insights and perspective are to be treasured and to be remembered by us all. It is from the time when this hobby really began.

Thanks for sharing those memories and insights with us. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline kiwiracer  
#7 Posted : 23 September 2023 04:07:50(UTC)
kiwiracer

New Zealand   
Found the following on information on Google: May be of interested to some.

This tram is one of five new trams that were issued in late January 2011. This model was initially believed to be not for general release, however quantities have been available through Hattons in the UK as well as a number of Hong Kong retail outlets, but it attracted a premium price compared to the others released at the same time. They feature a plastic body with a diecast bogie with one axle being motorised together with a working LED headlight.

Manufactured by Bachmann China
Scale 1:76 (have also seen it listed as 1:87 HO)
Fleet number 56
Destination Various (several destination boards included in the model)
Quantity 500
Date released 28 January 2011

Cheers Brett