Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 25 August 2023 02:01:03(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to help a friend setup his computer to connect to his CS2. Unfortunately, I'm doing this by remote access and I'm not too familiar with the CS2 anymore. On page 70 of the CS2 manual the explanation is not too clear as to how to access the CAN settings. My friend has located the screen for the IP address however an error message states that the CAN setting is not correct. In the manual it shows the CAN setting but my friend says he can't find it. Is it by clicking on the arrowheads that the CAN setting is displayed ?

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 25 August 2023 23:52:34(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to help a friend setup his computer to connect to his CS2. Unfortunately, I'm doing this by remote access and I'm not too familiar with the CS2 anymore. On page 70 of the CS2 manual the explanation is not too clear as to how to access the CAN settings. My friend has located the screen for the IP address however an error message states that the CAN setting is not correct. In the manual it shows the CAN setting but my friend says he can't find it. Is it by clicking on the arrowheads that the CAN setting is displayed ?

Regards
Greg

Hi Greg
To modify the IP and CAN settings, you must select the SETUP tab and then the edit mode (Wrench): the screen becomes blue and you may reach the IP or CAN on the low banner.

Note: failure to enter the edit mode (the wrench) blocks access to many screen included IP and CAN screens
The IP settings
CS2 Setup Edit IP.png

The CAN settings
CS2 Setup Edit CAN.png

These setting are valid both for a direct link (CAT5 cable) between the computer and the CS2 and also valid when using a Router or WiFi Router or a TV Box
I am not a big fan of DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) which is about the CS2 asking for an IP address to the Router (can't do it with a direct link). The reason is the assigned address may change which is troublesome when connecting with a software like Rocrail.
When typing the IP address on your browser (I use Chrome) you get a screen similar to this allowing you to access Icons, revision changes, screen copies
Lok Konfiguration BR 01 138 CV-Motor 4.png
In my case, the above screens allow me to connect to Rocrail, now on Windows 11 with a CS3 and previously on Windows 10 and a CS2 (60215)
I hope this helps
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Drongo  
#3 Posted : 26 August 2023 06:18:06(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Thank you Jean for the detailed information - very much appreciated.

I have passed this on to my friend and hopefully this will resolve the problem.

Once again, thank you

Greg
Offline Drongo  
#4 Posted : 26 August 2023 06:56:31(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Jean,

I spoke to my friend and there's a problem finding the CAN tab. He goes into edit mode then clicks on the setup tab, however, he can't get the CAN tab. Can you direct me to how I get to the CAN tab ?

Regards
Greg
Offline Drongo  
#5 Posted : 29 August 2023 05:55:26(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
Thank you Jean for the detailed information - very much appreciated.

I have passed this on to my friend and hopefully this will resolve the problem.

Once again, thank you

Greg

Hi Jean,

An update with my efforts. I went to see my friend and I noticed that his CS2 hadn't been updated at any time. So I updated it and the option for the CAN setting was visible. I changed the CAN gateway to "Broadcast" as shown by you. This made no difference - I even rebooted.

Any suggestions ?

Regards
Greg
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 29 August 2023 09:19:59(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Greg
Did you also set up the IP screen as suggested (in my case 192.168.0.23)?
Did you set on your Friends browser, the same IP address as on the CS2?
When checking the lights near the CAT5 connector, do you see both lights blinking?
Note: normally the settings I indicated are good for the CS2 to link with Märklin and update but you may have temporarly to set for DHCP (AUTO)

Cheers
Jean
Offline Drongo  
#7 Posted : 11 September 2023 11:40:12(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Jean,
I think I have resolved my problem regarding the connection. The laptop that is being used to connect to the CS3 or the ECoS is quite old (for computers) and I tried to update windows on it, however windows didn't like it and refused to update by reinstalling the original operating system. So, I used a "newer" computer and I was ale to connect to both the CS3 and the ECoS. I'll now try and attempt to go to my friend's place and swap computers.

Regards
Greg