Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Alex H  
#1 Posted : 20 August 2023 18:25:50(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Hi

New to Marklin. Can anyone tell me if Marklin mark their locomotives and passenger cars with their model number. I have been given a loco and 2 cars but cannot find any model numbers to find out information on them.

Many thanks

IMG_6655.jpegIMG_6656.jpegIMG_6657.jpegIMG_6658.jpeg
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 20 August 2023 21:17:35(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
This appears to be the BR 146 and coaches from the 29478 Start Set. This Hobby (Basic) Start Set included track, Mobile Station 2, a Bombardier DB Region BR 146 and a pair of Regio Double Deck coaches (27cm long). The coaches AFAIR were a basic edition with tinted windows and may have been without interior details.

https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/29478

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline IanC  
#3 Posted : 20 August 2023 22:31:34(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Hi Alex,

As Mike says. Contents of a Start Set but a nice gift to be given. There are more expensive versions of both the loco and the double deck coaches in the Marklin range but you have to start somewhere and I have both levels in my collection and happily run them together. Start Sets are a good way to get a circle of C Track and a MS2 Controller at a reasonable price from which to expand. Stick to digital if buying additional locos. Suggest you network with the other Brits as there is a wealth of helpful knowledge and practical experience here that you can tap into and actually meet people. The users-net forum also gives you access to global resources from international Marklinistas like Mike here from Canada but if you want something fixed or tweaked, bought or sold, the UK domestic network is the place to start, even more so since Brexit where Customs duties and heavy postal charges have made buying from shops, dealers and ebay.de from EU Europe complicated and expensive.

Come and join us!

IanC
Offline Alex H  
#4 Posted : 20 August 2023 23:13:20(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Thank you Mike and Ian for identifying the rolling stock for me. Although I am new to Marklin this will be my third layout. An N gauge was replaced by a OO layout due to my rubbish eyes; but disposed of that and decided to do an HO gauge base on Era 3. Mentioned it to an acquaintance and the next thing I know is that two large boxes of C track (mostly brand new and still in packaging) arrived, and at the bottom of it was the above rolling stock along with a Marklin HO 37785 ICE 3-DIGITAL VFB STUTTGART kit, which doesn't seem to have been used. So really fell on my feet and can pretty well build the new layout without the need to buy any track!

Unfortunately, the rolling stock I received will be too large for my proposed layout - image attached - and I am looking to run smaller locos and shorter carriages.

Thanks both for the warm welcome and I am sure that I will be on this forum many times in the coming weeks and months BigGrin

Alex

Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 22.11.07.png (1,572kb) downloaded 35 time(s).
Offline rhfil  
#5 Posted : 21 August 2023 13:14:21(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I have never found that Marklin puts model numbers on their cars but they are usually good about avoiding redundancy and placing running numbers on them. They sometimes are very small but can be read. I use the search engine at https://www.modelrailroadcollector.wiki/en to find model number associated with the running number. Becoming familiar with the site requires some practice but there are a number of YouTube videos to help and the site operator is also very helpful.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline Alsterstreek  
#6 Posted : 21 August 2023 17:38:35(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Alex H Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately, the rolling stock I received will be too large for my proposed layout - image attached - and I am looking to run smaller locos and shorter carriages.

Your four passenger train station tracks measure at least 100 cm / 40" in length, respectively.
Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 22.11.07.jpg
Article No. 29478 (class 146.2 electric locomotive and 2 bi-level commuter cars) train length is 75.3 cm / 29-5/8".
Article No. 37785 (ICE 3 class 406 3-part train) train length is 86.3 cm / 34".

So size should not be an issue.
Offline Alex H  
#7 Posted : 21 August 2023 17:43:47(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   

Hi

Yes they will fit into the station, but I think as I have numerous R1 curves, then I think that it might look odd - but we will see. I will build the layout and try them :). Thanks for your post
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alex H
Offline Alsterstreek  
#8 Posted : 21 August 2023 17:50:16(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Alex H Go to Quoted Post
Yes they will fit into the station, but I think as I have numerous R1 curves, then I think that it might look odd - but we will see.
In principle true (with some exceptions), always true when viewing a R1 curve from the outside. I see you've already got the hang of the 24206 segments. So, I trust you will develop advanced C track skills very soon.
Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek