Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline QQQ1970  
#1 Posted : 04 August 2023 01:50:50(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
I bought a loco with the new Telex coupler. When uncoupling the coupler lifts but the wagon does not detach. Anyway to fix?
Offline heinrichhess  
#2 Posted : 04 August 2023 09:43:25(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
i all depends on the telex you have i have had a small peace fall out of mine how ever if its lifting might not be the problem some times reversing can help take tension out and this will detach setting the height of the wagon coupler if its to low it will not work and if track is not level are all problems I most lee struggle getting telex to hold good luck

hess
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 04 August 2023 13:19:09(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Originally Posted by: QQQ1970 Go to Quoted Post
I bought a loco with the new Telex coupler. When uncoupling the coupler lifts but the wagon does not detach. Anyway to fix?

I know 3 types of Telex couplers:
- historic version first released in 1958 with 3031 steam switcher. They are good, noisy and do not work well with KKs (short couplers)
- the more recent Telex with a belly that fits with NEM pockets E117993 that I use a lot. They appeared after 2000 (not sure about the date)
- the new generation of slim Telex couplers that appeared 5 years ago or so I have no experience on those.

If you have issues the Telex with belly version (I have approx 20 or 30 of them):
- they work very well (but a few were not from factory when initially released)
- do not ever try to lubricate them because the mechanism is very small and light so any oil will keep them "stuck"
- they burn easily so always configure the AUX driving the Telex as a timed output with 9 seconds delay
- they don't work (like all the others) when they transmit a traction force. This is why on recent locos, there is a small program to first make the loco backwards a little before uncoupling.
- they don't work when there is a vertical force between the couplers (not the same height)

Here is a video of one Telex with belly that I fitted on a Märklin KPEV steamer
You see the Telex in operation 1:48 into the video. Control by Rocrail from start to finish

Cheers
Jean
Offline QQQ1970  
#4 Posted : 04 August 2023 14:31:43(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
This us the latest slim Telex version. The coupler lifts but the wagon does not detach. If I hold the wagon with hand it detaches so maybe there is traction force or the lift force is insufficient. Coupler height is not adjustable.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 04 August 2023 15:36:22(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
On this video of a new slim Telex, 1:02 into the video, you can see that not only the buckle (loco side) is raised but also the wagon's buckle is also raised.

So if the wagon remains stuck it may be:
- there is a vertical force on couplers (coming from different height) that keeps on pulling wagons especially when they have a very low rolling resistance
- the two "forks" of the two couplers are too close to each other in a sort of pinching action. Ckeck all this with a watchmaker magnifier.
- where you uncouple, the track is not 100% horizontal (can easily check with an iPhone).
- the wagon's buckle is not raised high enough to allow the wagon to be detached (seems not to be the case as keeping the wagon will allow its uncoupling).

I am just trying to help but I don't have any of these very new Telexes

Jean

Offline QQQ1970  
#6 Posted : 04 August 2023 15:48:03(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
If I hold the wagon it detaches so different height plus low rolling resistance could be the issue. But these are standard Marklin pockets and there is no height adjustment possible.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 04 August 2023 16:15:26(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Yes you are right as the coupling pocket is a plastic molded part with short coupling mechanism there is in theory no adjustment.

Sometimes, a SMALL bending between the NEM pocket and the Y-shaped short-coupling mechanism is enough to correct things BUT make sure you adjust the proper one (the loco's or the wagon's) by testing with multiple recent Märklin wagons. We are talking about tens of mm precision.
Cheers
Jean
Offline QQQ1970  
#8 Posted : 04 August 2023 16:54:55(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Thanks
Offline heinrichhess  
#9 Posted : 04 August 2023 18:54:51(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
you can still adjust the metal latching ring on the wagon up a little to if it will not release and down if it will not hold i have set wagon's for leading a rake for telex loco that way you only need to adjust 1 and not the hole rake

hess