Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dbmike  
#1 Posted : 04 July 2006 04:54:27(UTC)
dbmike

I am getting back into marklin trains again, hopefully. Lack of space for a decent G scale layout so all of that, track and 1 big diesel loco went to ebay. Watching some marklin stuff that I want to get hopefully. I am planning on a portable christmas time layout with the villages all decoraded for the holidays and snow on the ground. I plan to use the older diecast locos and M track with the stud contacts, not the solid center rail, for the layout. Locos I am planning on are the class 81 0-8-0 and the 2-6-2 tender lok that is almost all diecast. The main industry will be a brewery with goods coming in and beer shipping out. The layout needs to be able to fit in the back of my Jeep Grand Cherokee for transport to the local train shows. I am looking for help designing the layout and track plan as that is one of my weaknesses. I can fix or rebuild locos, but cannot design a decent track plan to save my life. Glad to meet you all here. Mike
Due to budget shortfall, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off....mgmt.
Offline HueyCE  
#2 Posted : 04 July 2006 05:52:15(UTC)
HueyCE

Welcome to the forum Mike. If you go to the "My Layout" section you should see some layout that may inspire you. There are also some decent layout planning programs available.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline rschaffr  
#3 Posted : 04 July 2006 06:06:05(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Mike: This is the place to be! Welcome. Ira is right. A lot of great ideas with many different outlooks and constraints on the Me and My Layout. Check it out.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline bmcrae  
#4 Posted : 04 July 2006 08:13:13(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
Hi Mike! Have to agree with Ron, this is THE place on the net for your Marklin 'user' info and advice. In fact this site inspired me to rip apart my flat table top layout and go 'open frame'. Enjoy!
Offline Rowan  
#5 Posted : 04 July 2006 10:22:08(UTC)
Rowan

Giday Mike,welcome."My Layout" is a veritable feast!Welcome and enjoy!
Offline john black  
#6 Posted : 04 July 2006 10:48:48(UTC)
john black

United States   
Hi Mike - welcome to The Forum !

Have fun Smile
John
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Tony  
#7 Posted : 04 July 2006 15:03:45(UTC)
Tony

South Africa   
Hey Mike
Welcome to the forum!Smile Plenty of info here to help you on your way.
Regards Tony
Offline steventrain  
#8 Posted : 04 July 2006 16:35:17(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Welcome Mike.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline David Dewar  
#9 Posted : 04 July 2006 17:32:22(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Mike. Hope you will get the help you need from this Forum. I have never been stuck for an answer to any questions that I had as there are experts in everything....nice people too.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline viragoLDR  
#10 Posted : 04 July 2006 21:34:58(UTC)
viragoLDR

Yeah, the only question I never got an answer on is how to convert a startset BB to MFX ;)
- Martijn
(early planning : H0-scale Era I K.Bay.sts.b)
(active planning : N-scale mixed late Era Japanese)
(possibly something Z-scale as well ;))
Offline MärCo  
#11 Posted : 04 July 2006 21:58:19(UTC)
MärCo

You mean, you have once left Märklin ?

How could you ?
Absolutly AFB-NOHAB fan ;-)
Offline dbmike  
#12 Posted : 04 July 2006 22:29:44(UTC)
dbmike

Well, it wasnt by choice. I had some nice stuff, all C track, had the 39103 pacific with sound, class 81 0-8-0, and the little 3005 2-6-2 tender lok. But a long duration layoff from work and keeping food on the table and a roof over our heads took priority. Back in a stable job so its time to start a new layout. Was going to go USA prototype G scale, but after getting a few items we discoved it wasnt going to work out to our liking in what garden we have. That coupled with the fact that Erie, PA gets 9 months or so of winter/cold crappy weather, that an indoor layout is much better. I have in overhead Lionel layout in our living room to run the trains from my childhood, the Marklin will go in the old computer room in our mobile home. I have to take down the puter, desk and clean up the place first though. My wife and I both have laptops now so the PC basicly doesnt get used. Thanks for the warm welcome. Mike
Due to budget shortfall, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off....mgmt.
Offline orubias  
#13 Posted : 04 July 2006 22:45:37(UTC)
orubias

Spain   
So, back on the track again, uh? Welcome, Mike.

Band on the run
Offline dbmike  
#14 Posted : 05 July 2006 05:50:28(UTC)
dbmike

yep, back on track, or I will be if this darn G scale loco sells. I am watching an older starter set on ebay right now. Cant find the version of the starter set with the C track I want. I dont like the new version of the class 81 in the My Start with Marklin set. I want the older, pre 2006, version of the set. Havent found one yet. If I get the older set then I will go with all M track, its cheaper anyway, if I find the newer set, then the layout will be C track. I am all for the cheaper route, money very tight for the forseable future.
Offline David Dewar  
#15 Posted : 05 July 2006 14:50:11(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Mike. Important to get the track right. there is quite a difference between M and C track and the running qualities of C are very good. If cash is tight then take care with Marklin as once you start it is difficult to stop as most of us here have found. The M start set with the class 50 and the diesel is good value and if you like the locos they both run very well. I got the set a few years ago and everything is still running fine.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Guus  
#16 Posted : 05 July 2006 17:07:21(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum Smile

Hope you'll enjoy the forum as much as the train hobby itself.

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline dbmike  
#17 Posted : 06 July 2006 03:11:32(UTC)
dbmike

I am actualy bidding on a starter set with M track on ebay, it has the class 81 0-8-0 steamer and a crane car, small flats with lumber on them, track with turnouts and a powerpack. Hopefully folks here wont bid against me, please, I have been unable to find the My Start with Marklin that has the older open spur gear drive class 81 with it. Looked everywhere to! I want to keep the 60's look to the layout anyway and dont plan to run the digital stuff for now. Found a neat layout over on another part of this site that I plan to copy to some extent and change a few items on it. Cannot decide if I want a beer brewery or a winery on the layout yet. I love the old wine barrel cars, a bunch of those would be kewl looking. Atleast I have the high bid for the moment. I will be looking for more M track shortly if anybody has some that needs a good home. Cheers Mike
Offline john black  
#18 Posted : 06 July 2006 04:40:32(UTC)
john black

United States   
Go for that brewery. With Thanos' out of order we are thirsty. Always ... [:p][:p][:p]

UserPostedImage
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Trainingtime  
#19 Posted : 06 July 2006 17:59:09(UTC)
Trainingtime

Welcome
Offline dbmike  
#20 Posted : 16 July 2006 04:04:07(UTC)
dbmike

Got my set today in the mail, super nice, mint condition, only thing missing is the building that is supposed to come with the set. I ended up getting starter set #2967 with the good old DB class 81 steamer and a nice selection of track and cars. There is a nice layout on the inside of the lid that one can build with all the add on track sets marklin sold back then. I think I will build that layout, just have to figure out the table dimisions to see if it will fit in my jeep grand chrerokee to go to shows. Its a nice layout with two loops of track, switch yard, marklin crane, even has some buildings that marklin sold back then. Just have to purchase all the track, buildings and a couple more locos, I want the 3085 pacific loco, and the little 0-6-0 diesel switcher. Cheers Mike
Offline rschaffr  
#21 Posted : 16 July 2006 04:39:17(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Great, Mike! Enjoy it.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline dbmike  
#22 Posted : 16 July 2006 06:20:39(UTC)
dbmike

I am planning on it, dont have a place to set it up yet. Working on the dimensions of the track plan that comes with the set so I can get the most light weight but strong table set up. Probably an hollow core interior door. I think that style of table surface will be light enough to load in the jeep and strong enough that the scenery on top wont crack. I have built them with 1x4's and thin plywood, but it was quite heavy to pick up. I do plan to finish the outside edge with stained wood so it will have a presentation quality to it, just like the trains on it. I have been watching the topic on the cheapening of the class 81 by marklin and I also dont like the direction they took. I like the older shiny side rods with all the valve motion, the simplified rods on the newer version just looks cheap. This set is super nice. Mike
Offline steventrain  
#23 Posted : 16 July 2006 13:40:01(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Great,keep posted soon on work new layout.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.