Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline applor  
#1 Posted : 11 June 2023 23:12:15(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hello everyone,

I have performed a factory reset on my Märklin BR41 (37920).
The locomotive was automatically removed from my CS2 during the factory reset and I have not been able to re-register it since.

I've had similar problems with MFX before. I believe the cause is that the locomotive thinks it is still registered so no handshake is attempted.
I've run the BR41 with my 6021 controller using the MM protocol, which works, but after returning to the CS2 it still won't attempt to register - this process has usually worked for me in the past.
I have of course tried to manually search for MFX but the loco is not found (does this feature ever work?)

My only remaining thought is to disable MFX on the CS2 and then re-enable it but that would force all locos to to re-register, which can cause further problems as I have about 35 MFX locomotives.

Any other suggestions or is this my only option?

edit: I just realized I can also try registering it with my MS2, that is also worth a try first.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 11 June 2023 23:57:46(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Applor
Two thoughts on this (my own experience):
- sometimes an MFX loco is dying (some fonctions disappeared) which caused the need for a reset. Doing the reset, reveals the deterioration of the decoder by not re-registering. It happened to me twice.
- on older MFX devices (early CS2s with early software), early decoders, the MFX registration issues were not properly addressed. In my case for a few years (2010 to 2018) registration issues were solved all the time by using another CS2, CS1 or MS1 with its special rail). Since a couple of years, the MFX search fonction are working much better especially on CS3s and 60215b (late CS2s).
From what you describe I cannot say what is true in your case. Another CS would help answer that question.

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 12 June 2023 08:49:22(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
edit: I just realized I can also try registering it with my MS2, that is also worth a try first.
That's definitely worth a try.
The MS2 will be an unknown controller for the decoder, so it must register again.
And then the CS2 will be an unknown controller and it must register again.

Sometimes the mfx sender on the decoder fails, so the CS2 will not "hear" the decoder. In that rare case it would not register with either MS2 or CS2.

Good luck.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline applor  
#4 Posted : 12 June 2023 12:13:10(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Just to clarify, my CS2 is 60215 and running current version. There were no issues with the decoder/MFX, I did a factory reset because I had adjusted speed etc. instead of using CV53 which resulted in sound out of sync.

In any case I unplugged my MS2 from my CS2 and it drove the BR41 immediately with MFX, it was already on the MS2 and did not appear to register.

I moved the BR41 back to the CS2 and it immediately did new registration with MFX and tested OK.

It seems rather silly to have to go through those steps with no way to force a loco to re-register. If I didn't have the MS2 I would be stuck.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
H0
Offline eduard71  
#5 Posted : 12 June 2023 21:34:40(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Hi,
Have you looked into all your available locomotives in the CS2? some times the locomotive is there but with a different icon or any.
Have you try to delete the locomotive in the MS and see if it register again? I have a case like this but it was a all the way around. The locomotive was able to register in the CS3 but was unable to register in the MS.

Kr,
Eduardo
Offline applor  
#6 Posted : 13 June 2023 00:37:12(UTC)
applor

Australia   
As mentioned the issue was fixed by testing with the MS2 and back to CS2 which caused re-registration.

I want to share this solution provided on the Stummi forum for future reference:

Quote:
Hi Eric,

there is an other solution to force a mfx re-registering in the CS.

1. Take of the loco which will not reregister from the track (put if offline).
2. Delete some other mfx-loco from the loc list.
3. Reboot the CS
4. Reset the loco which did not wanted to reregister on the track and try mfx find again. She will reregister again!
5. Reregister the former deleted mfx loco also again if it is not done automatically.

Background:
After deletion of a mfx-loco the CS will increment her internal register counter and send a new counter together with the UID of the CS. All mfx-decoders store this combination of counter and UID during the bind phase.
All mfx decoders which are currently listen to such a counter increment, will overtake it without any notice. But those locos which can not listen to the counter increase because they are on an isolated track or they are not placed on the layout need to reregister again, because the deletion could be their own one.
If the counter and the UID is same from the central station or MS2 after repowering an mfx-decoder a reregistering of mfx is not neccessary because under normal circumstances the CS still have this loco in their internal loco list. By deleting a mfx loco during offline of a loco, the counter is forced to be changed and a reregistering then with the loco not listen to this counter increment is also forced.

Kind regards

est2fe
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline clapcott  
#7 Posted : 13 June 2023 08:53:03(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
As mentioned the issue was fixed ..

If you are just concerned with your particular re-registration , then maybe that has a workaround resolution

The proper , root issue, fix would be to update the decoder.

I do not know exactly if your locos decoder is updateable, but there have been a number of updates in the last 8 years since the loco was released, and a number of these are purported to better handle this situation. I would suggest at least checking and doing an update if one is available.

Peter