Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MarklinDutchies  
#1 Posted : 03 January 2023 02:04:25(UTC)
MarklinDutchies

Spain   
Happy New Year everyone and thank you for this great forum!

I have only just registered but have picked up some great tips and advice over the past year.

Fortunately I have been able to get my son as enthusiastic about model trains as I am and it is now time to move his tracks from the the floor of his bedroom onto a table. Since we both love to see the trains riding along the track and since we have limited space I wanted to do a multi level layout.

Again, due to the limited space available, we have decided the layout to be a single track and we have also stepped away from the helix concept. I have kept the gradient to a max of 2.5% and tried to use R2 curves as much as possible.

The idea is to have cutouts in between the loops to ensure there is a "relatively" easy access to the trains in case of derailment etc.

There are still some things I am working on with this layout but I would love to hear your feedback to see if this layout has potential.

Thank you so much and have a wonderful day,

Serge
Level 1
1 - Level 1 - 20230102.jpg

Ramp to Level 2
2 - Ramp to Level 2 - 20230102.jpg

Level 2
3 - Level 2 - 20230102.jpg

Ramp to Level 3
4 - Ramp to Level 3 - 20230102.jpg

Level 3
5 - Level 3 - 20230102.jpg

Scarm 3D Images
3d img 01.bmp (3,405kb) downloaded 28 time(s).

3d img 02..bmp (3,405kb) downloaded 16 time(s).

3d img 03..bmp (3,405kb) downloaded 12 time(s).
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by MarklinDutchies
Offline DB Fan  
#2 Posted : 03 January 2023 02:41:18(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
Hello
I like this layout plan a lot. That is a great inspiration. I was wanting to build an analog layout but couldn’t figure out where to start. Thanks for this.

Robert
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 03 January 2023 12:13:15(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Cool, reminds me of my late "five track levels on two module levels" ca. 1 x 2 m layout "Hi-Land", which was my wife's favourite.

Link: https://www.marklin-user...adland-and-Hi-Land/page8

The lower yard module had a clearance height of 20 cm, which is the bare minimum for manual intervention in case of a mishap; furthermore, I found out that scenicking such an "enclosed" lower module only makes sense up to a module depth of 50 cm, since the human eye no longer perceives details behind it.
Hi-Land 2019.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline MarklinDutchies  
#4 Posted : 03 January 2023 22:34:35(UTC)
MarklinDutchies

Spain   
Originally Posted by: DB Fan Go to Quoted Post
Hello
I like this layout plan a lot. That is a great inspiration. I was wanting to build an analog layout but couldn’t figure out where to start. Thanks for this.

Robert

Thank you Robert!

I started playing around with a few layout options in SCARM. Just letting your imagination go wild with this tool is a lot of fun and I am sure when we eventually make it to building the actual layout it will be an even more amazing experience.

Good luck with your layout plans!

Serge

Offline MarklinDutchies  
#5 Posted : 03 January 2023 23:48:42(UTC)
MarklinDutchies

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Cool, reminds me of my late "five track levels on two module levels" ca. 1 x 2 m layout "Hi-Land", which was my wife's favourite.

Link: https://www.marklin-user...adland-and-Hi-Land/page8

The lower yard module had a clearance height of 20 cm, which is the bare minimum for manual intervention in case of a mishap; furthermore, I found out that scenicking such an "enclosed" lower module only makes sense up to a module depth of 50 cm, since the human eye no longer perceives details behind it.
Hi-Land 2019.jpg

Hi Ak,

Thanks so much for your response and advice. I love what you did with "Hi-Land"... looks like a great layout on such a small surface area.

At the moment we are not planning to do much scenery but perhaps at a later stage we will add a little touch here or there. Also, the idea is to keep the layout as accessible as possible so there will not be much room left.

I had a good look at some of your other layouts and noticed that some of them have pretty decent inclines. I tried to keep the inclines on our layout to 2.5% max and we are planning to run shorter trains (at least that is what my son keeps promising me Unsure ). What is your experience with this... have you noticed your trains struggling going uphill?

Most of our engines are the lighter ones so even though we did some trial runs... I am still a bit concerned since most of the layout is going uphill.

Thanks again!

Serge

Offline Alsterstreek  
#6 Posted : 04 January 2023 11:56:54(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: MarklinDutchies Go to Quoted Post
I had a good look at some of your other layouts and noticed that some of them have pretty decent inclines. I tried to keep the inclines on our layout to 2.5% max and we are planning to run shorter trains (at least that is what my son keeps promising me Unsure ). What is your experience with this... have you noticed your trains struggling going uphill?

Well, depends, as everything in life. Curved ramps cause more friction than straight ones, S-curves are worse than continuous curves. Another factor is train length (and consequently weight to be pulled). My US-themed layouts were tailored for long and heavy tin plate freight cars measuring 80 axles where one powered locomotive axle is pulling 20 axles.

My experience is - while 3% is the minimum for aesthetics in visible areas - 4% is no problem at the beginning of a ramp (when the full weight of a long train is still on level ground) and on a straight section. Anyway, with 3% there are no limits when it comes to climbing ability.

See below various C-track set-ups used on previous layouts for illustration, all ramps curved, radius used in green fonts, grade in red fonts.
3.png2-3.png
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline MarklinDutchies  
#7 Posted : 10 January 2023 21:52:55(UTC)
MarklinDutchies

Spain   
Thank you for the very helpful feedback Ak!

We will now start preparations for building the actual layout. Once it is up and running I will share pictures of the process and the final result.
Hope to have it completed by summer.

Greetings!

Serge
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MarklinDutchies