Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Sebastian_asd  
#1 Posted : 07 October 2022 16:13:52(UTC)
Sebastian_asd

Sweden   
Hi friends
Finally after many years I have spent some time restoring and building my older Märklin H0 train set.
However I have a problem I do not know if anyone is familiar with.
The speed control (cannot insert images sadly, dont know how to). A blue box 12 x 12 cm with a grey aluminium sticker with speed control 0-250.
Most of my trains do not start until I come up over 100. Then they move slowly. Is this normal?
I measured the voltage on the track and that gives the following result;

Setting on speed control - Voltage on tracks
1 6,3V
50 8,3V
100 10,6V
150 13V
200 15,5V
250 17,6V

Some locomotives move better that others at the same setting on the speed control.
This system is alternating current.
I have checked the rubber tires and exchanged it, no change.
All tracks are polished and work great.

Any ideas why this happens and what the cause might be?
Any way to correct it?

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Sebastian_asd
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 07 October 2022 17:12:29(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Your voltage reading look ok to me. Could be the Loco's. Might need cleaning, and or new brushes.
If it's a darker blue trafo., it's old. If a lighter blue, newer, but the smaller one. The speed control rheostat inside clould be worn. Is the red pilot light bright? if not, the unit may be tired. I have the large blue one from the 90's, and it still going strong! I'd try finding a newer trafo. on E-bay, or here, and then see if they act the same.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#3 Posted : 07 October 2022 17:22:22(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Hi Sebastian,

If many years have indeed passed since the last time your locomotives got some exercise, this behaviour sounds like what one might expect.

If you run them for a few minutes, will they start gradually moving faster? Typically this is the case, indicating that old lubrication has hardened and needs a bit of warming up..

Like märklinist5999 said, the locomotives probably need some cleaning and perhaps a few replacement parts.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline Sebastian_asd  
#4 Posted : 07 October 2022 18:33:48(UTC)
Sebastian_asd

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Your voltage reading look ok to me. Could be the Loco's. Might need cleaning, and or new brushes.
If it's a darker blue trafo., it's old. If a lighter blue, newer, but the smaller one. The speed control rheostat inside clould be worn. Is the red pilot light bright? if not, the unit may be tired. I have the large blue one from the 90's, and it still going strong! I'd try finding a newer trafo. on E-bay, or here, and then see if they act the same.

There is no light at all on my speed controller. Its the light blue one, have a dark blue one but that needs maintenance before use. I am working on it. Love electrical things and electronics and have actually built electronics for model railroads for people before.
Offline Sebastian_asd  
#5 Posted : 07 October 2022 18:36:46(UTC)
Sebastian_asd

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Martti Mäntylä Go to Quoted Post
Hi Sebastian,

If many years have indeed passed since the last time your locomotives got some exercise, this behaviour sounds like what one might expect.

If you run them for a few minutes, will they start gradually moving faster? Typically this is the case, indicating that old lubrication has hardened and needs a bit of warming up..

Like märklinist5999 said, the locomotives probably need some cleaning and perhaps a few replacement parts.

I have cleaned all locomotives, forgot to tell that in my original post, sorry. Did that the last few days so they are new out of service.
One of the 3030 locomotive is running smoothly no problems, the older ones, steam engines (no smoke sadly) and a tram are extremely slow, I like slow speeds so no problems but they should at least move :)

Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 07 October 2022 22:36:44(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Maybe more running to get them going. Often we service the motor and give it oil, guy I have come across many analogue locos that have the gears and axles with hardened oil. If you have not cleaned and oiled those areas they can slow the loco down. It also increases the load/wear on the motor.