Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline John Ferguson  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2022 13:09:22(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
The CS3 in my view lacks the ability to identify the location of locos on a model railway.

A DCC controller made by another Company has solved this via the installed software.

On the screen of the controller you arrange that each route or event to be run has a start current drawing track sensor and a destination sensor.

You enter the name of the loco for the start sensor on the screen and the loco then appears in the start sensor.

When you execute the route the name is automatically transferred to the destination sensor indicating the arrival of the loco.

Hence the controller always knows the location of the locos.

The question is whether Marklin could offer this solution in the CS3 software. I wish they would implement such a solution.

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by John Ferguson
H0
Offline pederbc  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2022 13:18:07(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi,

In my opinion this is much better handled by an external software like Traincontroller, Rocrail etc. I don’t believe the CS3 has the CPU power to handle this.

Br, Peder
Offline roberts  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2022 19:11:21(UTC)
roberts

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: John Ferguson Go to Quoted Post
The CS3 in my view lacks the ability to identify the location of locos on a model railway.

A DCC controller made by another Company has solved this via the installed software.

On the screen of the controller you arrange that each route or event to be run has a start current drawing track sensor and a destination sensor.

You enter the name of the loco for the start sensor on the screen and the loco then appears in the start sensor.

When you execute the route the name is automatically transferred to the destination sensor indicating the arrival of the loco.

Hence the controller always knows the location of the locos.

The question is whether Marklin could offer this solution in the CS3 software. I wish they would implement such a solution.

John

I believe RailCom+ can do this, but it is/was protected by a patent. Otherwise, MFX could do the same thing.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2022 19:21:53(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: roberts Go to Quoted Post
I believe RailCom+ can do this, but it is/was protected by a patent. Otherwise, MFX could do the same thing.
RailCom can detect which locos are in a specific region. AIUI Märklin could use RailCom free of charge.
Would be so nice if CS3 had RailCom, RailCom+, LocoNet, ...

The solution described in the first post is just what standard PC software also does: When the initial locations of the trains, the layout, and the status of the switches if known, then the controller can keep track of the trains by means of simple S88 feedback. Not much CPU power needed, so even the CS1 should be able to do that - if someone would bother to implement this.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline roberts  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2022 20:33:18(UTC)
roberts

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: roberts Go to Quoted Post
RailCom can detect which locos are in a specific region. AIUI Märklin could use RailCom free of charge.
Would be so nice if CS3 had RailCom, RailCom+, LocoNet, ...

The solution described in the first post is just what standard PC software also does: When the initial locations of the trains, the layout, and the status of the switches if known, then the controller can keep track of the trains by means of simple S88 feedback. Not much CPU power needed, so even the CS1 should be able to do that - if someone would bother to implement this.

Yes, it would be nice to see an update for CS3 doing this. It is already now possible to display the locomotive position based on the triggered contact tracks in the events, but that would be just for the locomotive associated to that particular event of course.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by roberts
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 12 April 2022 11:40:53(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, and I wonder if the CS3 had Railcom, would the Z21 Roco cab driver work? Zimo MS450 decoders recognize mfx.
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 12 April 2022 11:58:02(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Yes, and I wonder if the CS3 had Railcom, would the Z21 Roco cab driver work?
I'm not sure I understand the question, but probably not.
The Z21 cab drive works for all locos, even Märklin locos. No RailCom required.

CS3 cab drive could also work for all locos. Requiring mfx+ is just marketing.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 12 April 2022 15:39:57(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, and I wonder if the CS3 had Railcom, would the Z21 Roco cab driver work?
I'm not sure I understand the question, but probably not.
The Z21 cab drive works for all locos, even Märklin locos. No RailCom required.

CS3 cab drive could also work for all locos. Requiring mfx+ is just marketing.

Tom, can you tell me how to access the Z21 cab driver on my CS3 for my Roco 78749 br 218 Citybahn which has it? When I drag the control past the screen center, it only goes as far as the large round spedometer.
Thanks!
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 12 April 2022 16:42:13(UTC)
H0

Tom, can you tell me how to access the Z21 cab driver on my CS3 for my Roco 78749 br 218 Citybahn which has it?
The Z21 is a Roco device with Roco firmware, the CS3 is a Märklin device with Märklin firmware. The CS3 does not include cabs for Roco locos.
CS3 supports cab drive only for mfx+ locos to keep you buying Märklin locos only.
Get a Z21 and you can use Roco Z21 cab drive for Roco locos and non-Roco locos.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Donb  
#10 Posted : 12 April 2022 16:43:15(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Hi John,

This is one of the reasons I am still using the Viessmann Commander, the controller being referred to here.
I am a fan of 'all-in-one " controllers (ie: no PC required for fully automated routes, incl locomotive and loc function control).
Sure it has some bugs, but its still fun to use.
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Donb
H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#11 Posted : 12 April 2022 20:29:00(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
As most of my Loco's. are Marklin, I got a CS3+. I only have one Roco digital. So no Z21. We confuse one another with all these different controllers.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline clapcott  
#12 Posted : 14 April 2022 05:18:42(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
CS3 supports cab drive only for mfx+ locos ....

?

Peter
Offline marklinist5999  
#13 Posted : 14 April 2022 18:28:09(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post

?

I knew that, but HO said above that the Z21 cab driver should work with MFX. It doesn't.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 15 April 2022 00:25:06(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

?

I knew that, but HO said above that the Z21 cab driver should work with MFX. It doesn't.

That is NOT what he said. He said a Z21 will control a Marklin loco, he didn't say it would do it using mfx.

Offline marklinist5999  
#15 Posted : 15 April 2022 13:31:48(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

?

That is NOT what he said. He said a Z21 will control a Marklin loco, he didn't say it would do it using mfx.

Alan, did you even read the post? He did so say that MFX should run the Z21 cab driver! When he knows he is wrong, he never responds either.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 15 April 2022 13:59:37(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

?

Alan, did you even read the post? He did so say that MFX should run the Z21 cab driver! When he knows he is wrong, he never responds either.

Tom, can you tell me how to access the Z21 cab driver on my CS3 for my Roco 78749 br 218 Citybahn which has it?
The Z21 is a Roco device with Roco firmware, the CS3 is a Märklin device with Märklin firmware. The CS3 does not include cabs for Roco locos.
CS3 supports cab drive only for mfx+ locos to keep you buying Märklin locos only.
Get a Z21 and you can use Roco Z21 cab drive for Roco locos and non-Roco locos.

I don't see anything there that says what you are claiming.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline rbw993  
#17 Posted : 15 April 2022 21:35:58(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
He only said it could (implying if Marklin wanted it to) not that it does.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993