Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#1 Posted : 13 March 2022 15:29:01(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
i was looking at a video of the Rhaetian Crocodile Gauge G LGB and at one point the whistle gets triggered by a track magnet in one specific location.

is this possible with ho scale MFX locomotives? I am not talking about programming with the PC or with the CS3 but about a specific location that would always trigger the sound every time a loco passes it.

Thanks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Puttputtmaru
Offline PeFu  
#2 Posted : 13 March 2022 18:18:41(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
How do you control your layout? Are you using e.g. a mobile station, CS2 or CS3?
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#3 Posted : 13 March 2022 20:16:10(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
CS3 for now with iTrain in the work (learning it), but I think the magnet is just an easy way to program a recurring event for all locos.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Puttputtmaru
Offline PeFu  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2022 07:51:25(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Puttputtmaru Go to Quoted Post
CS3 for now with iTrain in the work (learning it), but I think the magnet is just an easy way to program a recurring event for all locos.

…or instead purchase a Märklin L88 unit, connect one input to a desired contact track and feed the L88 to your CS3? Should be a great case for iTrain, in your learning process? I don’t believe the magnet thing will be that easy in the digital world…

Wink

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 14 March 2022 12:13:43(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
i was looking at a video of the Rhaetian Crocodile Gauge G LGB and at one point the whistle gets triggered by a track magnet in one specific location.

is this possible with ho scale MFX locomotives? I am not talking about programming with the PC or with the CS3 but about a specific location that would always trigger the sound every time a loco passes it.

Thanks

Hi
If you reject PC and CS2/3 solutions then you look for a now defunct Märklin system
Here is an extract of the Märklin 1970 catalogue
MarklinHorn.png
The principle was to add a frequency (5 kHertz or so) to the normal traction power
The sound was not convincing and the set-up was expensive so it did not last long.

Now, if you wan to use the sound in digital locos you need to have a device able to send a digital order to a loco. A CS2 or CS3 can do that but you need both the loco's address and the function number. This last one is easy if, using MAPPING you standardize the functions (e.g.: all whistles are on F3).
To know the loco number is more tricky: one or two locos: the CS2/3 can track the loco's position to know which to activate.
More locos: then you need a PC s/w like Rocrail as it follows each loco position and you can trigger the whistle (or any other fonction) of the loco located in the zone you wish
Sorry, I understand this is not the answer you were expecting.
Cheers
Jean

Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 14 March 2022 12:41:28(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
You can purchase a sound decoder and use different sound slots at different locations, via magnet and Aux functions
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#7 Posted : 14 March 2022 14:34:30(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
I am not rejecting PC or CS3 function nor do I want to purchase extra decoders since my Mfx locos already have them.

I was just wondering after looking at the video presentation of the G gauge loco having its horn blown of the decoder inside the loco by a magnet on the track if this was possible to do with HO.

Unless I am mistaken having the horn blown in a specific location with PC has to be programmed for every locos or remap function (why isn’t Märklin standardizing this?). This seemed a simplier solution.

Here is the video look around the 26:00 mark (beautiful model by the way)

Thanks JohnJeanB for your in-depth answer, I was aware of this but just wondering. I do hope Marklin will eventually implement locos location on track but I am aware of copyright problem with Rocrail (I believe)
Offline franciscohg  
#8 Posted : 14 March 2022 17:11:11(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post

…or instead purchase a Märklin L88 unit, connect one input to a desired contact track and feed the L88 to your CS3? Should be a great case for iTrain, in your learning process? I don’t believe the magnet thing will be that easy in the digital world…

Wink

yes, that is the way. Once you have your feedback to the CS3 via the L88 ( with CS3+ it can be any s88 unit ) you can create an event for the locomotive to do whatever you want once the feedback is received, a whistle, to slow down, accelerate, light functions, etc.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 14 March 2022 17:15:20(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Here, when one contact (s88) is trigerred by the loco (BR10 in this case) the signal turns red, the loco stop (no braking module), after a while it sounds the whistle and then start at a preprogrammed slow speed.
Of course you have to create events for each specific loco
Regards

UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline LSQ  
#10 Posted : 15 March 2022 01:42:09(UTC)
LSQ

China   
I am not rejecting PC or CS3 function nor do I want to purchase extra decoders since my Mfx locos already have them.

I was just wondering after looking at the video presentation of the G gauge loco having its horn blown of the decoder inside the loco by a magnet on the track if this was possible to do with HO.

Unless I am mistaken having the horn blown in a specific location with PC has to be programmed for every locos or remap function (why isn’t Märklin standardizing this?). This seemed a simplier solution.

Here is the video look around the 26:00 mark (beautiful model by the way)

Thanks JohnJeanB for your in-depth answer, I was aware of this but just wondering. I do hope Marklin will eventually implement locos location on track but I am aware of copyright problem with Rocrail (I believe)

Hi,

It is easy to use reed switch and magnet to trigger events in HO, following is what I did to control 4 loco for specific event:

1. Put 2 reed switch (lower position and higher postion) on each inside of a arch, then placed the arch on desired location of track;

2. Put a magnet on one side of each wagon, totally 4 wagons - left or right side, lower or higher position, which is according to reed switch position on arch;

3. Now when 4 different sets of loco and wagon cross the arch, different magnet will trigger reed switch of different position, then could appoint various of events: whistle,smoke, turnout, signal, etc.

Arch should be suitable size, loco/wagon could pass and magnet could trigger reed switch, or may replace arch by 2/3/4 poles, which could be placed on differnt locations.

Position of lower & higher position should be suitable to avoid wrong trigger.

Put magnet on wagon is convenient than on loco.

Cheap magnet/reed switch from ebay is enough.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LSQ