Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline bph  
#1 Posted : 08 February 2022 13:42:33(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hello,
This is a heads-up that there is most likely a bug in the cs3 software, that reads and programs mfx decoder motor type wrong. (CV52)
The bug seems to only affect the CS3 when English is used as a system language. I tested all other system languages, and they seem to be ok.
I'm currently using cs3 software 3.2.1 (8). (tried to restore it to original configuration etc, and that did not affect things)
Bigdaddynz did a test on his cs3 and experienced the same. (also 3.2.1 (8)).

here is an example from one of my locomotives: Note the difference in motor type. (CV52)
Correct read out, of the mfx decoder in German.
cs3_screenshot_2022_02_04_18_18_33.png

Wrong read out in English. the only change was the system language. (noting was programmed to the decoder).
cs3_screenshot_2022_02_04_18_25_15.png

This also affects programming.
E.G if the CS3 is used to set the motor type of a mfx decoder. the motor type is programmed wrong.
note that programming using mDecoderTool with 60971 or through the CS3 is not affected.
here is an example: the c90 is selected when the system is set to English:
cs3_screenshot_2022_02_07_19_14_17.png

And a readout after in German shows that the mfx decoder was actually programmed with a bell anchor motor:
cs3_screenshot_2022_02_07_19_18_33.png
a readout on the 60971, confirmed the same.

This might not affect that many in reality, but if someone programmed a mfx decoder lately using a cs3 with software 3.2.1 (8) and English as system language, it's worth checking.
I can not say if this affects other settings, or DCC etc, as well because I have not checked. But some caution is recommended, or use another language if possible.
I have reported this to Märklin, and hopefully, they will look into it. (the initial response from Marklin customer service was not that positive so I had to investigate a bit more and provide more evidence). Thanks to Bigdaddynz Offline , for helping to confirm this bug.
According to Märklin, they are planning to release a "big" update to the CS3 this week or the next week. So hopefully that update will fix it.

This is provided as information for those who find it interesting and/or might be affected. Personally, I program my decoders with mDecoderTool, and can use other system languages e.g. Swedish, Danish or German.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 08 February 2022 21:45:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post

According to Märklin, they are planning to release a "big" update to the CS3 this week or the next week. So hopefully that update will fix it.

I wouldn't bet on an update to this bug unless you notified them about 6 months ago. I would think most of the last three months will have been spent on regression testing of the software,whereby it gets run through many tests to test for previously found problems and/or 'corner cases'.

Offline bph  
#3 Posted : 08 February 2022 22:13:27(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post

I wouldn't bet on an update to this bug unless you notified them about 6 months ago. I would think most of the last three months will have been spent on regression testing of the software, whereby it gets run through many tests to test for previously found problems and/or 'corner cases'.

You are probably right, but hopefully, it has been discovered by someone in the software department earlier or that it's a minor thing in the English software that is easy to fix (but I'm not a programmer so I can not tell). I did actually notify customer service last autumn, but the initial slow response to emails and their unwillingness to acknowledge it has caused it to drag out in time. I have not spent much time on it, and I was open to it that it could be something with my cs3. And here the other day I decided to test loading the initial settings and by chance, I did a readout when the system was still in German, and things were correct, but when the system changes back to English the bug was back. And as I wrote it's not a big thing, but it's nice to be aware of. Only time will tell when it will be fixed.......

Offline bph  
#4 Posted : 01 December 2023 19:44:00(UTC)
bph

Norway   
This bug was finally fixed in the CS3 2.5.1 software release. ThumpUp
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 01 December 2023 20:28:43(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
As with many things, appropriations and executions take time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
bph