Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline greatrocks  
#1 Posted : 04 February 2022 01:38:49(UTC)
greatrocks

United States   
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and have just gotten back into Marklin after almost 25 years. I have gone straight digital control including the use of the CS3 Plus.
My problem/question is that when I connect back to my CS3 Plus from another device such as computer or IOS device the Marklin C3 Web interface appears to be an older version. There is no place to accept the license agreement or properly activate the web interface such as the control/command button that should be appear in the upper righthand corner of the screen. I have watched the August 2021 video from Rick and Curtis, but I am not getting the same screen. I also have had to use :8080 at the end of my internal IP address to get through to the server.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Frank
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by greatrocks
Online marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 04 February 2022 11:23:25(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Hello Frank! Welcome. Have you done an update on your new CS3? You may be getting the different screen because it doesn't have the newest version of software. It depends when it was made. I don't have mine on a web server. Only to update it.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 04 February 2022 13:34:52(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Frank
Originally Posted by: greatrocks Go to Quoted Post

I am new to the forum and have just gotten back into Marklin after almost 25 years. I have gone straight digital control including the use of the CS3 Plus.
My problem/question is that when I connect back to my CS3 Plus from another device such as computer or IOS device the Marklin C3 Web interface appears to be an older version. There is no place to accept the license agreement or properly activate the web interface such as the control/command button that should be appear in the upper righthand corner of the screen. I have watched the August 2021 video from Rick and Curtis, but I am not getting the same screen. I also have had to use :8080 at the end of my internal IP address to get through to the server.

Welcome to this great forum.
With the CS3, there are many ways to connect to computer / phone devices using an internet connection

Regarding IOS (iPhones, iPads), there was apps called "Main Station" and "Mobile Stations" released around 2008 to drive the CS2.
They are not available any more because the "LAYOUT" part isn't working on CS3, but all the rest is working.
There are newer apps (Google) to drive the CS3.

The CS3 has also a Webserver interface (you use your own web browser such as Chrome, Edge,.. you type the IP address of your CS3 and you get this
CS3-PC-Home.png
This interface is static and you may see / load loco icons, check web cams hooked to the CS3, etc

Another way of connecting the CS3 is to load on your PC a VNC Viewer (free application).
This VNC Viewer allows you to get a full remote control of the CS3: The CS3 screen is displayed on your PC and the mouse actions and "clicks" are transferred to the CS3. Drawback: the pointer position is not the same as to pointer on the CS3
To have VNC work, you need to insert the CS3 IP address followed by :5900 (Example my CS3 IP address is 192.168.0.23 so the VNC address is 192.168.0.23:5900)
So not sure I have answered your question.

What PC are you using?

What is the software version on your CS3? The last one is the V2.3.1(8)

If you use the last CS3 version, are you in the STANDARD or SIMPLIFIED mode?
Here is the CS3 screen where you select the mode.
cs3_Mode Simplifie.png
The simplified mode may restrict access to many fonctions

Cheers
Jean
Offline rhfil  
#4 Posted : 04 February 2022 15:17:11(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I am not hugely computer knowledgeable but was able to access my CS3 and our club CS3 with my iPad and have walked a couple of other club members through the link-up with iPads. I was unable to walk an iPhone link up but after checking with Rick and Curtis who were also at the train show it appears the iPhone link does not work. What exactly are you trying to link the CS3 with? Make sure you scroll to the end of two very long agreements.
Offline greatrocks  
#5 Posted : 04 February 2022 18:16:10(UTC)
greatrocks

United States   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Frank! Welcome. Have you done an update on your new CS3? You may be getting the different screen because it doesn't have the newest version of software. It depends when it was made. I don't have mine on a web server. Only to update it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have upgraded to the latest version. But, I will double checkBigGrin
Offline greatrocks  
#6 Posted : 04 February 2022 18:18:30(UTC)
greatrocks

United States   
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
I am not hugely computer knowledgeable but was able to access my CS3 and our club CS3 with my iPad and have walked a couple of other club members through the link-up with iPads. I was unable to walk an iPhone link up but after checking with Rick and Curtis who were also at the train show it appears the iPhone link does not work. What exactly are you trying to link the CS3 with? Make sure you scroll to the end of two very long agreements.

I would like get to the CS3 web interface for remote access. I am going to check my the s/w load on my CS3 to make sure it is the most recent release. Thanks!
Offline greatrocks  
#7 Posted : 04 February 2022 18:21:58(UTC)
greatrocks

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Frank

Welcome to this great forum.
With the CS3, there are many ways to connect to computer / phone devices using an internet connection

Regarding IOS (iPhones, iPads), there was apps called "Main Station" and "Mobile Stations" released around 2008 to drive the CS2.
They are not available any more because the "LAYOUT" part isn't working on CS3, but all the rest is working.
There are newer apps (Google) to drive the CS3.

The CS3 has also a Webserver interface (you use your own web browser such as Chrome, Edge,.. you type the IP address of your CS3 and you get this
CS3-PC-Home.png
This interface is static and you may see / load loco icons, check web cams hooked to the CS3, etc

Another way of connecting the CS3 is to load on your PC a VNC Viewer (free application).
This VNC Viewer allows you to get a full remote control of the CS3: The CS3 screen is displayed on your PC and the mouse actions and "clicks" are transferred to the CS3. Drawback: the pointer position is not the same as to pointer on the CS3
To have VNC work, you need to insert the CS3 IP address followed by :5900 (Example my CS3 IP address is 192.168.0.23 so the VNC address is 192.168.0.23:5900)
So not sure I have answered your question.

What PC are you using?

What is the software version on your CS3? The last one is the V2.3.1(8)

If you use the last CS3 version, are you in the STANDARD or SIMPLIFIED mode?
Here is the CS3 screen where you select the mode.
cs3_Mode Simplifie.png
The simplified mode may restrict access to many fonctions

Cheers
Jean

Hello Jean, this is great information, I will use this to troubleshoot, Thanks!
Offline greatrocks  
#8 Posted : 04 February 2022 22:02:12(UTC)
greatrocks

United States   
Hello All,

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have double checked the S/W Load/Version. It is current on the CS3+. I have used two different browsers for the CS3 page: Safari and Chrome. The license agreement tab will not activate. I believe there is a scripting error at the Marklin HQ end. I am Apple based at home a for 37 years :-) I have run in to the same problem on my MAC OS devices as well as MAC IOS devices. Please find screen shots attached for your reference.7DA65B21-EF24-415E-BE1A-9E50BE63B691.png5882CDE8-F422-44C9-A9AF-AE502695DEE2.png126E07B7-15D8-421A-8B64-18C24CA07175.png61E1D1C0-C471-4827-A2FE-3955A1EDF707.png
Offline bph  
#9 Posted : 04 February 2022 22:50:04(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hello All,

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have double checked the S/W Load/Version. It is current on the CS3+. I have used two different browsers for the CS3 page: Safari and Chrome. The license agreement tab will not activate. I believe there is a scripting error at the Marklin HQ end. I am Apple based at home a for 37 years :-) I have run in to the same problem on my MAC OS devices as well as MAC IOS devices. Please find screen shots attached for your reference126E07B7-15D8-421A-8B64-18C24CA07175.png

It seems that you are probably using the wrong port, don't use :8080, but only :80.

I tested myself (on pc) with 8080 and also got the "old style" pages, so try forcing your browser to use pot 80.
Personally, I find that Chrome works best, but that's on pc..... :)
Offline greatrocks  
#10 Posted : 04 February 2022 22:57:22(UTC)
greatrocks

United States   
Thanks, good catch will do that.
Offline phils2um  
#11 Posted : 06 February 2022 05:25:08(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
If you are using a web browser you don't need the port number. This may be what is causing the problem. Just put in the IP address assigned to your CS3 in the browser URL (address) window.

You only need the port number when connecting with VNC. The Catch 22 is that you need to start the screen server software in the CS3 first before you can connect with VNC. You need to connect with a web browser to start the "Bildschrim Server".

Edit added: I'm using MacOS and iOS too and have no problem connecting.

2nd edit added: Sometimes it can be difficult to find the scroll bar to get to the bottom of the pages where the license agreement acknowledgements are. This is a problem I've run across before particularly with my iPhone.

3rd edit added: You are physically connecting via your internet router's local area net right? Your CS3 network connection cable needs to be plugged into same router that assigned the CS3 its IP address. Your computer/iPhone(s) need to be connected to this router too either physically or wirelessly. The CS3 does not have built-in wireless capability, it must be physically connected to one of RJ45 network jacks on your router. (Do NOT try plugging your computer directly into the CS3. You may eventually get a direct connection to work but the additional complexity and networking knowledge needed is quite simply not worth the effort!)
Phil S.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by phils2um
Offline phils2um  
#12 Posted : 06 February 2022 06:18:46(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
If you've got a copy of the Controlling Digitally with the Central Station 3 Large Manual from software 2.0 carefully read the section starting on page 77 of the English Version titled "Remote Control of the CS3". It provides all the information you need. If you don't have this manual you should get it.
Phil S.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by phils2um
Offline greatrocks  
#13 Posted : 07 February 2022 00:24:31(UTC)
greatrocks

United States   
Originally Posted by: phils2um Go to Quoted Post
If you are using a web browser you don't need the port number. This may be what is causing the problem. Just put in the IP address assigned to your CS3 in the browser URL (address) window.

You only need the port number when connecting with VNC. The Catch 22 is that you need to start the screen server software in the CS3 first before you can connect with VNC. You need to connect with a web browser to start the "Bildschrim Server".

Edit added: I'm using MacOS and iOS too and have no problem connecting.

2nd edit added: Sometimes it can be difficult to find the scroll bar to get to the bottom of the pages where the license agreement acknowledgements are. This is a problem I've run across before particularly with my iPhone.

3rd edit added: You are physically connecting via your internet router's local area net right? Your CS3 network connection cable needs to be plugged into same router that assigned the CS3 its IP address. Your computer/iPhone(s) need to be connected to this router too either physically or wirelessly. The CS3 does not have built-in wireless capability, it must be physically connected to one of RJ45 network jacks on your router. (Do NOT try plugging your computer directly into the CS3. You may eventually get a direct connection to work but the additional complexity and networking knowledge needed is quite simply not worth the effort!)

Thanks for the recommendation!
Offline phils2um  
#14 Posted : 08 February 2022 02:13:23(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Thanks for the recommendation!

I assume this means you are now connected.ThumpUp
Phil S.
Offline greatrocks  
#15 Posted : 08 February 2022 03:42:09(UTC)
greatrocks

United States   
Still troubleshooting it:

1) will not go through with out adding 8080 to the IP address
2) the CS3/+directly connected to one of the LAN ports on my router
3) IP address on the CS3/+ is active
4) May be a firewall issue with my router, going through the configs
5) Not giving up :-)
Offline phils2um  
#16 Posted : 08 February 2022 09:47:20(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Try this.
1. Make sure the CS3+ has the "IP Address Assignment" set to Auto (DHCP) then do not change this setting.
2. Make sure your computer is also set get its IP address by DHCP, On a Mac go to System Preferences>Network>Advanced>TCP/IP and check that "Configure IPv4" has "Using DHCP" selected.
3. Turn everything off including the router and wait at least 1 minute.
4. Turn on the router. Give it around five minutes just to make sure it completely boots up.
5. Make sure the CS3+ is connected to one of the router LAN ports. Then turn it on.
6. Note the IP address the CS3+ was assigned by the router.
7. Turn on your computer and let it boot up.
8. Open the Network control panel and make sure that your computer is also connected to the router LAN. If necessary select the right network.
When connected the first three IP address groups should be the same as those on the CS3+.
9. Open a browser on your computer: Safari, Firefox, Edge, IE, Chrome or whatever.
10. Enter the CS3+ IP address noted in 6 into the browser URL window (No Port #, just the IP address which will be something like 192.168.0.15 ) and hit return.
11. It should connect.
Phil S.
Offline phils2um  
#17 Posted : 08 February 2022 11:32:30(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
OK, I just tried some things. First I cleared my browser history (Safari 15.2). Next I entered my CS3 IP address with :8080 appended (192.168.0.16:8080) in the browser URL window. I got the same pages you show. I then changed the URL address to just the IP address 192.168.0.16. This took me to the License Agreement pages. Scrolling down and accepting took me to the Electrical Warning pages all in German. Scrolling to the bottom of these pages and acknowledging then took me to the CS3 Web Interface Home Page. All the menu items here work as expected including the "Control" button on the right side of menu. I cannot duplicate the problem you are having. Note that you only need to accept the license conditions once unless you clear the browser history. The acceptance is remembered in your browser cookies. Next time you connect you are taken directly to the CS3 Web Interface Home Page. You do need to accept the license conditions once on each device you use to connect to the CS3.

Edit added: I just tried again clearing history then entering 192.168.0.16:80 in the URL. This did result in the correct License agreement page coming up. Thus, I assume :80 is the default if nothing is appended to the IP address.
Phil S.
Offline phils2um  
#18 Posted : 08 February 2022 21:05:26(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
One other thing that might be causing your difficulty. Safari has an "autofill" feature that anticipates what address to put in the URL. Unless I'm careful I often get a wrong address especially if I'm trying to correct something. It just keeps wanting to use the "error filled" address that I first put in. I've noticed this particularly likes to happen when I try to take something off the end of the address. For example, the port address in your case. You think you're just putting in the IP address, but autofill keeps adding back the :8080 at the end of the IP address. This could be what's taking you to the wrong page(s) over and over.. Again, clearing your browser history is one (kind of blunt trauma) cure to the autofill.
Phil S.
Offline greatrocks  
#19 Posted : 07 October 2022 16:23:21(UTC)
greatrocks

United States   
Hello All,

Please advise.

Thanks,
Frank

Great News!, I just updated my router and decided to try access my CS3 Plus, the web interface works like a charm!!!
Getting cameras hooked up to show progress on my layout and so on.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by greatrocks
Offline sforugby  
#20 Posted : 26 January 2024 05:43:58(UTC)
sforugby

United States   
So I hooked up my CS3+ to router, updated to version 2.5 and got it up on my ipad - and then it quit about an hour ago and can't get it back on. Everything else is fine. Ugh.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sforugby