Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Online hxmiesa  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2021 20:31:07(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
So, I got this super-nice 37605 set today!!!
In absolutely perfect condition, and I also have the 3-car extension set. A real new top highlight on my layout! Love

However, there is a problem with my feedback sections; As the loco has the slider under the motorized bogie, AND both axles has traction-tires, I can't detect it reliably when it stops at a signal. Of my more than 50 trainsets, this is the only train to have this problem! Confused

I could change the wheels, but can't find any to swap with in my collection. The wheels measures 11mm in diameter, with an axle of 2,5mm diameter. The axle has some brass bearings which must be fitted too.

Can anybody help with a source and reference number for substitute wheels WITHOUT traction-tires¿?
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 24 April 2021 00:58:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
In absolutely perfect condition, and I also have the 3-car extension set. A real new top highlight on my layout! Love

However, there is a problem with my feedback sections; As the loco has the slider under the motorized bogie, AND both axles has traction-tires, I can't detect it reliably when it stops at a signal. Of my more than 50 trainsets, this is the only train to have this problem! Confused

I could change the wheels, but can't find any to swap with in my collection. The wheels measures 11mm in diameter, with an axle of 2,5mm diameter. The axle has some brass bearings which must be fitted too.

Can anybody help with a source and reference number for substitute wheels WITHOUT traction-tires¿?

I would have thought the solution is to make the contact section longer so it gets two bogies on it. Strikes me that having only one bogie on a contact track is risking missed detection anyway.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline PJMärklin  
#3 Posted : 24 April 2021 06:10:17(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I would have thought the solution is to make the contact section longer so it gets two bogies on it. Strikes me that having only one bogie on a contact track is risking missed detection anyway.

Hi Henrik,BigGrin

Well purchased – a magnificent train set. It is one of my short-list of favourites!ThumpUp

I guess you may be aware of my fondness for this train. I have enjoyed my models of the VT 11.5 since the Roco
version in the 1980’s and even moreso since I acquired the 37605 by Märklin in ~2003; like you with the
supplementary set adding three further cars.

I read your post with interest and note your consideration of reducing by half the number of traction-tyred axles.
Keep in mind this train is all metal and of significant weight (thus probably the reason for production with each
end of the DMU featuring a (5-pole) motor ?).

I would have some concerns with a 50 % reduction in traction possibly being reflected in difficulties with any
gradients on your layout.

Also, whilst I do not implement such particular feedback sensors on my layout (and thus comment without any
personal experience whatsoever OhMyGod ), I share the concerns expressed by Alan re the length of contact section.Unsure

Do enjoy your 37605, with which I hope you have much fun,

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,

PJ Smile

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 24 April 2021 08:07:38(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
An easy solution would be to run a BR103 in front of the railcar, as in this picture! Wink

Capture.JPG
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 24 April 2021 09:32:51(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The caption on the picture reads (after a Google translation from German)

"On June 29, 1976, an aid brought two distinctive locomotives of the IC traffic together. Electric locomotive 103 237 hauls the broken multiple unit 601/602 through Brühl, which is supposed to be on the way from Bonn to Hamburg as IC 137 "Toller Bomberg". The 103 is one of the longer locomotives "
Online hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 24 April 2021 15:01:38(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
It seems like the TRIX equivalent 22100 model MIGHT have what I am looking for, but I can't see it clearly on the photos online.
Does anybody own, -or have access to- that model, and can post and/or confirm that the motorized bogies only have 2 traction tires???
Best regards
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 24 April 2021 17:30:24(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   

Hi Henrik
I had the exact same problem with my VT11.5 37605 with the extension set. What I did is to add a pair of rail sliders (like on LGB trains but much more discrete).
I did not wanted to make any permanent changes on my collector unit so, using a thin metal bronze with a hole attached to the screw attaching the front bogie outside decoration to the bogie frame just near the slider, I managed to form a rail slider just one mm near the bogie wheel to allow a precise detection of my set.
Sorry I have no pictures (I am not near my train)

Changing the wheel set for one without rubber tires is possible but I have doubts on the result. You have to exchange wheels with the rear bogie of the motorized unit BUT you really need traction to move this very heavy train through grades.
39605 Front.png
As you may see you need to extract each wheel from its axle to do the replacing and mounting and doing so on only one axle you divide the pulling power by 2. So a slider is a better option.
You may have to try multiple times before reaching success but in the end it works and is totally invisible
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Online hxmiesa  
#8 Posted : 24 April 2021 18:23:21(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
I had the exact same problem with my VT11.5 37605 with the extension set. What I did is to add a pair of rail sliders (like on LGB trains but much more discrete).
I did not wanted to make any permanent changes on my collector unit so, using a thin metal bronze with a hole attached to the screw attaching the front bogie outside decoration to the bogie frame just near the slider, I managed to form a rail slider just one mm near the bogie wheel to allow a precise detection of my set.
Sorry I have no pictures (I am not near my train)

Don't worry about the photo; I know exactly what you mean, as I am about to do the same. -At least until I can get my hands on some replacement wheels.

Quote:
Changing the wheel set for one without rubber tires is possible but I have doubts on the result. You have to exchange wheels with the rear bogie of the motorized unit BUT you really need traction to move this very heavy train through grades.

I already tried that, but that is impossible, as the other wheels are of another diameter. Both flanges and axles. (They are quite a lot smaller than the motorized bogies)

You have attached the drawing of the Märklin unit (which I already have), but if you look at the same drawing from the Trix unit, you can see 2 different references for the motorized wheels. Looking at some photos online, it SEEMS that the Trix unit has only 2 traction tires; one on each axle. It's wheels are of course isolated, but the question is if the flanges can be removed, and made into one single conductive wheel-set. (It would depend on how and where the plastic bushing for isolating the flange against the axle is located)

I have no problem with the traction. Anyway it will not be divided by 2, as the trailing motor-unit will be pushing happily along with its original 4 traction tires.(**)
The photos of the Trix unit seems to confirm the viability too, although I am still not too sure because of bad quality photos online.
Further examination of the issue shows many others having the same problem on the Stummi forum (and other places). I'm definitely NOT going to change anything on my permanent layout, where my LONG feedback sections have worked fine for almost 15 years with a huge variety of locos and brands... RollEyes

Thanks for you comment Johnjean, I will get to work on the slider right away! ThumpUp

(**) As an analogue user, I can only use this train driving in ONE direction, as a longer power-cut-off will have the train reverting back to its "original" forward direction anyway, with no regards to it´s last heading. (The primary forward direction always being the motor-unit where the decoder is located)
So I don't have to change the trailing motor unit anyway, as I will never be running it in that direction (for long). Just another of many small odd prices analogue users pay to STAY analogue...Confused
Best regards
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 24 April 2021 18:32:29(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Don't worry about the photo; I know exactly what you mean, as I am about to do the same. -At least until I can get my hands on some replacement wheels.

You don't need to replace the wheel, just add a rail slider just near traction wheels and you are in business
Jean

Online hxmiesa  
#10 Posted : 24 April 2021 21:23:49(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I finally found a "nice" pic of the TRIX motor bogie.
It's not quite as I thought, as the two traction tyres are on the same axle, but does confirm the existence of a replacement wheel-set w.o. traction tyres.
I don't know if catwiki allows a direct link to a photo, but here it is;
https://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2018/9/20/5/d/0/5d02c535-028b-400f-9f74-7a74e85ea048.jpg
[According to the TRIX specification drawing, that would be sparepart 308462.
I would need TWO of them, in order to convert them into 1 un-isolated wheel-set... *IF* only one side of the flanges are isolated!
¿How are Trix DC wheels normally isolated?

PS: I made a slider as mentioned by Johnjean, and it works. But it is quite flimsy and I am not too happy with it. But at least I can let the train run on my automated layout, and ENJOY the spectacle! ThumpUp
Best regards