Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#1 Posted : 26 April 2006 22:10:11(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Hi all,

When doing some attempts to make flicker-free coach lighting, I though to take it all one step further and design a car lighting system that autonomously can switch lights in the different cabins of the coach on an off. I also wanted to make something that was less visible than the M* standard lighting kits.

So I came up with a microcontroller design. It’s based around an PIC628 chip, programmed in mnemonic (machine assembly language). This controller has the advantage to be able to drive white LED without additional power drivers. It also has its own internal oscillator, so very few external components are necessary.

The program is quasi-random, that is that I programmed an random-looking sequence of light changes (also with varying wait times) into the programmer.

The challenge, except getting it to work, is installing it in a car. Below, some pictures of that. This is the coach, and Swiss SSB one:

UserPostedImage

And these are the electronics. Two PCB bars to connect the nine white LEDs, each with a power limiting resistor. On the left the microcontroller, on the right, a voltage stabilizing circuit (5 Volts) and associated capacitors. The rectifier bridge, to connect it to AC, is not present on the version in the photo's yet.

UserPostedImage

Right, here the electronics go into the car. The microcontroller chips fits exactly in the toilet space, which has a non-transparent window, nicely keeping its interior out of sight. The capacitor (470 microfarad, 25 Volts) occupies the other toilet. The regulator is in the balcony and is almost invisible from outside.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Ok, and below the programming. I wrote a little Excell program, where I enter the light sequency and the wait times. The, the programm creates an HEX sequency that I load into the EPROM memory space of the controller.

UserPostedImage

At this time, the unit runs from an external power supply, and works perfectly fine now. I did not have the time yet to add a pickup shoe, and run it from the tracks, I hope to do that soon. But I foresee no problems there, as the rectifier circuit delivers a nice steady power to the circuit (much like the circuits in digital loco's are powered, in fact).

I don't think I will adapt all my coaches, too much work really, but it's a nice experiment.

Any comments are welcome!

Offline rschaffr  
#2 Posted : 26 April 2006 22:51:25(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Nice project, Rudi. You do nice work. I'm not sure if the ultimate effect is worth the effort, but I, also, like to take on projects just to see if they can be done.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 26 April 2006 22:55:31(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Excellent project.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#4 Posted : 27 April 2006 00:24:30(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Really nice work and design, Rudi. MRR is a good way to match different skills. You do it perfectly. Congratulations.

Pierre.
Offline franciscohg  
#5 Posted : 27 April 2006 00:29:30(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Great work Rudi!!!!!!!!
Congratulations!!!!
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 27 April 2006 01:14:35(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Excellent work. I always light coaches and your effort is top class.
Remember to add a few passengers as lighting coaches does show up the rather poor interior provided by all the manufacturers.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline stephenbb  
#7 Posted : 27 April 2006 01:21:51(UTC)
stephenbb

It's al bits and bites to me!
Great work.
I'm lucky I can access a computer to read all this great stuff.
I'm even luckier "I can read and write"
Stephen(USA)
ETE,NMRA,MEA
Offline pat  
#8 Posted : 27 April 2006 03:44:17(UTC)
pat

Wow!, Rudi a lot of work involved i'm impressed wth the technology,any chance of a working photo when finished?
worse things happen at sea
Offline laalves  
#9 Posted : 27 April 2006 03:50:50(UTC)
laalves

Very good project indeed!

Perhaps you'd consider productionising your design? I'm sure you'd find enough buyers to make a profit, including right here in this forum!

Luis
Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#10 Posted : 01 May 2006 19:34:37(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Thanks all for the nice words. In reply to the questions:

- I'll try to make some photo's (or better, a short video) once the coach is taken into regular use .

- I don't consider to produce anything, i'm busy enough supplying myself with stuff.... However, If anyone is interested to build it him- or herself, I'm happy to provide schematics (well, not complicated really) and the programming code for the microcontroller. Using the Velleman DIY programmer kit, for instance, programming the microcontroller is fairly easy (well, on a PC, on my beloved Mac it's more of a challenge....)

Best, Rudi

PS has this site been down for a few days, or did only I experience (interconnection) problems?
Offline McLae  
#11 Posted : 02 May 2006 00:12:13(UTC)
McLae

Give an EE a soldering iron and some parts....[:o)]

Looks like you are not going to get bored anytime soon!wink
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators