Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Online marklinist5999  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2021 20:44:07(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Huh I have had this since new. Seems it always had this issue. I changed from Suethe 20 to 24 even. Hadn't run it in quite some time. I got an MS2 last May and noticed it not working. I read here that the amperage output is lower than the old 6021. So I got a CS3+. Users say all performance issues cease as it has a higher output and booster. No dice!
I have not checked the voltage output to the smoke unit terminal fom the decoder. I am afraid to fry it. This is an early sound model with only an FX decoder. Could it just be weak? All other functions work fine. Chuffing, whistle, running gear lights, headlights. I have even just turned on the smoke alone.
Offline ocram63_uk  
#2 Posted : 11 February 2021 23:04:30(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
the problem is the smoke unit? I have the red one. never had problems 'smoking'. sometimes it smokes too much. wash the smoke unit with Isopropyl alcohol. remove the body and press the brass contact under the smoke unit upwards so it touches better the hot pole of the seuthe unit. it isn't a question of power supply!!!
Online marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 11 February 2021 23:28:04(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thank you Marco! I will do that again. The copper contact on the loco frame board is thin. I suppose with ambient temperature changes, it could act as a bi-metal strip and move a bit. Winter indoor temp. is 70 f. Summer is 75 to 77f. with A/C. Humidity also varies. Basement where my hobby area is may be even cooler.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2021 09:23:30(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Huh I have had this since new. Seems it always had this issue. I changed from Suethe 20 to 24 even. Hadn't run it in quite some time. I got an MS2 last May and noticed it not working. I read here that the amperage output is lower than the old 6021. So I got a CS3+. Users say all performance issues cease as it has a higher output and booster. No dice!
A #24 will give less smoke than a #20. Maybe try several #20 as the production series may have some variations.

Make sure the red (B or centre rail) and brown (0 or outer rail) wires are not swapped. You'll get less smoke when they are swapped.

You can try running the MS2 with 16 V AC. Then you'll have about the same track voltage as with the old 6021. The CS3 has a lower voltage than the 6021 and cannot be used with AC.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2021 10:14:29(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Sometimes it is that the smoke oil is too old.. Mellow
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Online marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2021 16:31:48(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thank's again for all the advice! Yes, sometimes they just burn out or become too sooty. Adrian, did you used to live in Michigan? It seems I recall a young Australian man in the early 90's in Southfileld at Del's train center. You and your wife just had a newborn son. My recollection was jarred when I saw a post of yours from 2018 about visitng Tony's trains and toys in Brisbane. I connected with a couple there on I.G. during the covid lockdown. One is the Veternaian of Fortitude Valley vet. hospital.
Tom, I love your "All products in all scales compatible with all." Yes, if you buy the items to make them. Us Italians think sometimes alike.
HO, As far as connecting the MS2 to 16 volts, it won't hurt that locomotive as it is an fx, not mfx. I have read even on this forum that too much wattage can ruin an mfx decoder if a short happens due to derailment, etc. However, the CS3 120 volt power pack I have set to 19v. a/c. The amperage may be less than with an old trafo. and 6021 controller. You can not use a track box with a CS3. Thusly, it has ports on the front for 2 MS2's.
My new layout will already be complex enough without separating power blocks. I am retaining the original d.c. 4x8'ft. single track oval I began with before being bitten by the Marklin bug. I have some nice Roco d.c. analog and Fleischmann trains. I could convert them to dcc, as the CS3 will operate them as with TRIX, but that entails much cost and work.
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 12 February 2021 16:47:03(UTC)
H0

For normal operation of a single loco it does not matter whether your controller has a maximum of 1 A or 5 A as long as the loco gets enough amps - it won't draw more amps than it needs.
But higher voltage makes a difference, no matter how high the current is. Especially for smoke generators. Polarity also matters.
And with 6021 you had a higher track voltage than with a CS3. Could make a difference for smoke generators.

If you still have a 6021 or MS2 lying around somewhere, you might give them a try. Many people have more than one controller, acquired over time.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Online marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 12 February 2021 21:20:59(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
For normal operation of a single loco it does not matter whether your controller has a maximum of 1 A or 5 A as long as the loco gets enough amps - it won't draw more amps than it needs.
But higher voltage makes a difference, no matter how high the current is. Especially for smoke generators. Polarity also matters.
And with 6021 you had a higher track voltage than with a CS3. Could make a difference for smoke generators.

If you still have a 6021 or MS2 lying around somewhere, you might give them a try. Many people have more than one controller, acquired over time.

Thank's and yes, I do have a 6021 still, and the big blue trafo. I connected it up, and set the br 10 on tracks to test smoke. Nothing. I made sure the C track spade connectors were the correct polarity, and the wires to the 6021, but I will double check them.
Meanwhile, I'm going to reinstall the Seuth 20, and check for good contact from the lcoco. frame circuit board contact. Neither have been used a lot.
My white 6001 digital style trafo. died. I think I may have left it plugged in overnight once too many, or when I was using it as a booster with the older Delta control it may have been shorted. I may have only had two C rail insulators for each block, not 4 to isolate both rails from the adjoining power section. Live and learn.
Online marklinist5999  
#9 Posted : 12 February 2021 21:27:14(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Sometimes it is that the smoke oil is too old.. Mellow

Adrian, I recall a young guy named Adrian from Australia in the early 90's at Del's Train Center in Southfield Michigan. Was it you? Just had a newborn baby. I was there when you were telling owners Del and Laura Krieger.