Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kkumar29  
#1 Posted : 12 April 2020 16:07:15(UTC)
kkumar29

United States   
I have a CS2 layout with about 18 blocks. I recently bought two mfx+ locomotives and retrofitted an old loco with mSD3 decoder. I also bought a 60971 decoder programmer. All three have station announcement in German. I found while scanning the forum that some of you have managed to add your own sound announcement in English. I would like to do the same. It will be of great help if someone can provide me a step by step guide on how to do this, or if it has already been discussed point me to that post. Keep in mind I am a novice user.

Thanks for your help.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 12 April 2020 16:29:33(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

Märklin Sound locomotives are locked, meaning you cannot change the sounds
On the other hand Märklin mSD2 and mSD3 decoders can be sound edited to add either Märklin sounds or yours: This is the mDecoderTool3 (free) which may be downloaded from Märklin website (https://www.maerklin.de/)
Another avenue is since you have a CS2, you can play your own sounds using active loudspeakers plugged on your CS2 (passive loudspeakers won't work.

Because I am using Rocrail, I have created "Actions" (in the Rocrail meaning) to play various sounds from my computer. These include Bells and coal loading.
Now I need to add a speaker near my depot and my church.
Cheers
Jean
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 12 April 2020 17:40:19(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
One other option that you could pursue would be to install a sound decoder (Loksound or Zimo) inside your station building and use it to store and play station announcements.
This way, the announcements would play at the station and not from the moving train.

Regards

Mike C
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 13 April 2020 02:45:21(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
One other option that you could pursue would be to install a sound decoder (Loksound or Zimo)

or Marklin ... BigGrin
Offline kkumar29  
#5 Posted : 13 April 2020 07:40:44(UTC)
kkumar29

United States   
Thanks JohnjeanB for the reply. I will update the sounds using the tool and give it a try in the next few days.

mikec and kiwialan your suggestions have made me curious. How do you install a decoder inside a station building? if you have done so can you please give me a simple example as to what decoder, how to install it and what else do I need to make it work. I am willing to explore it further.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 13 April 2020 11:14:13(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kkumar29 Go to Quoted Post

mikec and kiwialan your suggestions have made me curious. How do you install a decoder inside a station building? if you have done so can you please give me a simple example as to what decoder, how to install it and what else do I need to make it work. I am willing to explore it further.

Use an ordinary sound decoder loaded with appropriate announcements but instead of installing it in a loco fit it and the speaker into the station building.

I don't know what storage space the Zimo one has, but both Loksound and Marklin ones have large amounts of space for sound storage. In addition because you don't need space for standard loco sounds you will be able to have an extra announcement or two.

Make each announcement triggered by a seperate function. The ESU decoders have some form of 'shift' function which can make sounds do different things when a function is set. I haven't had occasion to try this, so cannot advise further on it.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan