Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 28 April 2019 15:50:22(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Good morning,

I’m suffering from analysis paralysis which causes me to doubt my knowledge.

This post if for those modellers who use computer train control for their layouts. I am using ESU products. The ECoSDetector will be used as a classical 16-way track occupancy detector. A block which is as long as the longest train that block should have three detection sections for optional operation.

as illustrated below:

True or False?

Regards,

Michel
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 28 April 2019 17:26:48(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I use Rocrail and in your example I would use 2 sensors. I suppose if you add the 3rd sensor you might get better speed control if this is a station track.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 28 April 2019 17:47:31(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Michel,

Depends on the software you are using and it’s features (e.g. can the software work with shifted brake and stop markers)?

But yes in general the more sensors you have the more accurate control you can achieve, so if you have a long block of let’s say around 1.5-2 meters I would use 3 sensors in that block.

Best Regards
Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline michelvr  
#4 Posted : 28 April 2019 18:53:06(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello PMPeter, Lasse,

Thank you for your responses!

When it comes to the program software I’m not sure which one I’ll choose? I was leaning towards RR&CO's Train-controller but will try out the others before I decide. Rocrail and Itrain seem interesting and also JMRI is an other possibility but for now l'll play with the shuttle train feature from the ECoS.

Sounding like Märklin: Adding the extra sensors is child’s play with Märklin's C track. Even though my C track layout is screwed in place. The nice thing is it's just a handful of screws to lift up the track then add the insulators, drill a hole and add the feeder wires for detection. Can't be any easier!

Regards

Michel

Offline French_Fabrice  
#5 Posted : 28 April 2019 22:01:53(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hi Michel,

I suppose you have already seen this thread: https://www.marklin-user...ps-and-tricks#post456287
It provides the basics.

As stated by Peter and Lasse, it depends on the software features.

Most of the time, 2 sensors are enough for plain track blocks. It may differ for station blocks (a third sensor in case to stop short trains at the right place in the station) and sidings (sometimes, you need additional sensors not especially related to blocks, like optical sensors in order to decrease/increase speed of locos or manage special operations).

Cheers
Fabrice
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 28 April 2019 22:44:25(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
false
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline michelvr  
#7 Posted : 28 April 2019 23:54:09(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
false

Now that's the correct type of answer I was waiting for!

The sixty-four thousand dollar check is in the mail! LOL

Cheers!

Michel
Offline Thewolf  
#8 Posted : 29 April 2019 13:59:08(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
false

Hi Dale

I would like to know what is false with the comments of this thread

Thewolf

Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline DaleSchultz  
#9 Posted : 29 April 2019 16:44:46(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
>A block which is as long as the longest train that block should have three detection sections for optional operation.<

Lets ignore the "optional" and assume "optimal".

Under computer control, blocks are not needed. Length of track can be dynamically assembled on the fly from every length of track between detection points. This means that any number of track stretches between detection points can be combined dynamically to represent the track occupied by, or needed by, a train.

Since there is no need for the traditional concept of blocks, there is no "block length longer than the longest train" restriction or requirement.

Lets say that the longest train one runs is 2m long.
Lets say that we have a station track which is 2.1m long.
Let us say that optimal running means that trains stop close to the middle of the station tracks.
If the detection points are only placed so that long trains stop so that they fit with the 210cm, then it means that a short train will not stop in the middle. This is not optimal.

The placement of detection points is what is important. If trains are expected to come to a smooth stop at a certain location then ideally one needs some lengths of track between detection points which are short. The length of the train is irrelevant.

Using the station example above, if all the trains are 2m long, and traffic only goes in one direction, then three detection points per station track would work.
If trains are expected to stop in both directions and the slow down length equal to half the train length is not desirable then, it won't be optimal.
If trains have varying lengths and centered stopping is desired, it will not be optimal.

The statement also mention detection sections, but it is not clear if those are very short (4cm - 10cm) sections - i.e. detection points, or if long lengths of track with occupancy detection is implied. Occupancy detection is less optimal than point detection, because the system cannot tell where within the section the end of the train is.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline applor  
#10 Posted : 30 April 2019 00:54:54(UTC)
applor

Australia   
As per what Dale and Fabrice have said, perhaps I can simplify. This is based on my experience with Rocrail.

2 sensors, one at the start and one at the end. A 3rd sensor can be used in the middle if you have shorter trains and want them to stop earlier, for example in the middle of the station platform.

It will work best on your layout if you can use the same length/distance for your 2 sensors, so that your stopping distance will work everywhere once the loco is setup correctly.

Also as per Fabrice's comment, you want a sensor to trigger events. For example, in front of a tunnel so that it can be used to trigger the whistle/horn sound as the train enters.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline michelvr  
#11 Posted : 30 April 2019 02:58:13(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Gentlemen,

A heartfelt thanks for posting your help in my endeavour to run my model trains by a computer.

Regards,

Michel

Offline Danlake  
#12 Posted : 30 April 2019 08:00:03(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Michael,

If you opt for Traincontroller you can use multiple stop and brake markers and make them conditional of your various schedule.

So e.g. with a short railcar running on a schedule you can get the railcar to stop in the middle of the platform by assigning one particular brake and stop marker. While a long express train will use another set.

Note this is only possible in silver and gold version.

Regarding occupancy/detection. I normally use isolated contact sections of a track length between 7-20 cm. Note in Traincontroller you can build in delays on each contact sensor to avoid flickering (e.g. turn off sensor only after 2s).

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline michelvr  
#13 Posted : 01 May 2019 00:08:08(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Lasse,

Thanks for your reply!. Yes I'm leaning toward RR&CO Traincontroller but I'm not sure what I will do for now so I’ll just see what each program has to offer. (Rocrail, JMRI, Itrains)

Concerning the occupancy detectors I’m using one per section of track between turnouts. I really haven't played around with it so I’ll learn as I go. I'm using the ECoSDetector which can be either used as a classical 16-way track occupancy detector or it offers 16 inputs for track contacts or switches. Not sure which way to go? What I need it to play around and see how this all works.

I have lots to learn so please keep the replies coming!

Cheers,

Michel
Offline Danlake  
#14 Posted : 01 May 2019 13:02:33(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Michel,

I suggest not to use switches (also called circuit track) for feedback detection.

If using Marklin C track the most reliable (and cheapest) option is to make your own occupancy track section by isolating the outer rail and use your Ecosdetector as a S88 feedback module.

This is also the recommended option mentioned in recent Marklin Magazine for optimal reliability.

Best Regards
Lasse

Offline michelvr  
#15 Posted : 01 May 2019 15:01:42(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Hi Michel,

I suggest not to use switches (also called circuit track) for feedback detection.

If using Marklin C track the most reliable (and cheapest) option is to make your own occupancy track section by isolating the outer rail and use your Ecosdetector as a S88 feedback module.

This is also the recommended option mentioned in recent Marklin Magazine for optimal reliability.

Best Regards
Lasse

Hello Lasse,

My apologies if what I wrote below is confusing.

Yes I have been making my own occupancy track section by isolating the outer rail. What I have done is to make all of the track in a block detected by having it isolated for the length of the tracks outer rail for that block.

My question is how many should I create in a block? Is detecting the whole section of track in the block correct? Or should there be more than one? Should I have the track divided in the block and create more detection sections in that block?

My main problem is that I'm confused as to how many sections I should have for the occupancy track 1, 2 or 3 in a block? Or should I just have one to detect the entire block?

Should a piece of track be detected in the block instead of all the track in the block?
Offline PMPeter  
#16 Posted : 01 May 2019 15:58:10(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
You should have at least 2 detections per block. If using Rocrail for example you would have one to indicate that the loco has entered the block and one to indicate that the loco is fully in. Having the whole block as one detection will lead to various stopping locations for each train and most likely situations where the rest of your train is not in the block.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline michelvr  
#17 Posted : 01 May 2019 16:11:42(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello PMPeter,

Even though there is a three hour time difference between us I was just reading that in Rocrail!

https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=sensors AND https://wiki.rocrail.net...id=sensors_and_blocks-en

Once I understand what is required then I can figure out which software to use, RR&CO Traincontroller or Rocrail?

RR&CO Traincontroller $$$$

Rocrail learning curve.

Regards
Michel
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline michelvr  
#18 Posted : 01 May 2019 16:22:28(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
You should have at least 2 detections per block. If using Rocrail for example you would have one to indicate that the loco has entered the block and one to indicate that the loco is fully in. Having the whole block as one detection will lead to various stopping locations for each train and most likely situations where the rest of your train is not in the block.

So is it right to say, you should have at least 4 detections per block for bidirectional train travel?

I believe the answer is no. The right answer is 2 detectors(sensors) for a block.

Since I started reading the Step-by-Step Tutorial for Rocrail I’m understanding the difference in the programs. For now I will let RR&CO Traincontroller gather some dust.....

Mellow Now for the small print. Comparing two programs at once got me very confused!!!! I should have picked one and gone from there. Now that I picked RocrailBigGrin I’m sorry for asking for help while if I had read more in Rocrail I would have found my answers.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline PMPeter  
#19 Posted : 01 May 2019 20:16:54(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
In Rocrail you still only need the 2 sensors even for bi-directional. Each block has a + and - entry side. So for example if you come in from the + side the first sensor will be set as the Enter sensor and the second sensor will be set as the In sensor in the programming screen. For a train coming in from the - side the previous second sensor now becomes the first sensor in that direction and is set as the Enter sensor in that direction and the previous first sensor now becomes the second sensor in that direction and is set as the In sensor for that direction in the programming screen.

In that screen you will see default selections of all from the +ve side and all from the -ve side. You select one of these and then set up your sensor names and actions for that side and then repeat the process for the opposite direction.

Rocrail does have a learning curve but it is free and you can play with it. The commercial ones are expensive and the trial versions generally do not let you get more of a feel than possibly turning the power on and off and slightly moving a locomotive from one block to another before it times out and you have to start all over.

I've been using Rocrail now for close to 5 years and I'm still on the learning curve with all of its features and possibilities.

Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Minok  
#20 Posted : 01 May 2019 22:02:34(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I'm not sure all of the commercial versions have such short trial periods. The free trial versions of both WinDigipet and Train Controller have pretty good trial versions to work with.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Thewolf  
#21 Posted : 01 May 2019 22:16:21(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi everyoneCool

It looks like the train software show.Blink

As an Itrain user I can't stay without a boncher or omit to praise the qualities of Itrain.

Itrain has all the qualities required to control any layout of model trains regardless of scale, size and design.

It is simple and effective. It has a pleasant TCO and its creator ensures that its software is constantly evolving.

Itrain has the advantage of existing for all budgets and is clearly, if my memories are good, cheaper than RRTC while also being equal.

Rocrail is, I believe, a free software .

To return to Michel's initial question, namely the number of feedbacks per block, Itrain or at least the moderators of the Itrain forum recommend two contacts per block (input and output).

However, if the block is long, a third contact is recommended.

However, it is not necessary to include a contact for a function action. With Itrain, you just have to add the action you want your loco to perform in the canton of your choice.

Itrain takes care of the rest

https://www.berros.eu/fr/itrain/

https://berros.eu/itrain/forum/

Have a nice day

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline PMPeter  
#22 Posted : 01 May 2019 23:25:48(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure all of the commercial versions have such short trial periods. The free trial versions of both WinDigipet and Train Controller have pretty good trial versions to work with.

Perhaps they have changed to something more reassonable. I tried Train Controller approx. 5 years ago and all I ever got was 5 min. of operation at a time. It really was useless for evaluation purposes. I also tried another one at the time and I got 10 min of operation out of it before it too would quit functioning. So again, relatively useless as a trial. So I settled on Rocrail.

Peter
Offline Minok  
#23 Posted : 02 May 2019 01:28:39(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

Perhaps they have changed to something more reassonable. I tried Train Controller approx. 5 years ago and all I ever got was 5 min. of operation at a time. It really was useless for evaluation purposes. I also tried another one at the time and I got 10 min of operation out of it before it too would quit functioning. So again, relatively useless as a trial. So I settled on Rocrail.

Peter

Wow, those would indeed be pointless.

WinDigipet's demo version is not time limited I think, it just is scope (# of items, size of layout) limited.

TrainController demo version is a bit odder, it has a total time limit I think ( a month ) and only allows the software to connect to the digital central controller for a max of 15 mins at a time - but you can play with the software, set up a layout, try functionality in the software over the long period, and just control the actual layout in only 15 min time chunks (so you cannot run the actual layout for 20 mins form the demo version)

I think both models allow you to install the software and get a feel for the features and set up your layout in the software, and then test how well it works for you.
I think the intent of the demo versions/modes is to let you get a feel for the user interface, the features and how they are used, but the actual control of a layout is crippled (by size or time duration intervals).
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline applor  
#24 Posted : 02 May 2019 02:20:22(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyoneCool

However, it is not necessary to include a contact for a function action. With Itrain, you just have to add the action you want your loco to perform in the canton of your choice.

Thewolf

Rocrail does not require a specific contact to trigger an action - you can use all sorts of other triggers with timers etc.

However using a contact for an action allows precise timing and this is a universal truth regardless of software because without knowing where a train exactly is (contact track) then you cannot be as precise as using other methods.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline michelvr  
#25 Posted : 02 May 2019 03:55:26(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Good evening,

Thank you all for your reply’s and posts in helping me with the understandings of model train automation. Please forgive me if I’m repeating myself. I must honestly say that comparing different software programs just by reading what is required and what has to be implemented is not the answer in any decision. What that does is cause total confusion! (for me anyway!) For me the deciding factor for selecting Rocrail, actually being passionately interested in Rocrail is the formatted instructions in English. It is a breath of fresh air, passionately written and well understood!

Cool

So with that being said I have been studying the ways of Rocrail. I am beginning to understand what the developers and designers envisioned for it to do and now what needs to be implemented. (Very interesting!) ThumpUp

Best regards,

Michel
Offline michelvr  
#26 Posted : 04 May 2019 16:23:59(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Good morning,

I thought that I would update my progress on my layout.

Instead of being idle I have started to rewire my layout and I have completed about sixty percent so far!BigGrin

I have made changes that will complement most scenario's for TrainController or Rocrail. Because of these choices I have decided to install three occupancy sensors per block. Depending on which program I use I can easily jumper the three sensors in a block into one sensor for a block as the requirement for TrainController dictates. More on that later on another post.

My layout has a double track mainline which is over 40 feet long (12 metres). I have divided the double track mainline blocks between stations and industries into 9 feet (2.75 metre) sections. This way I can have trains waiting in blocks, depending of the traffic density. Each line is bi-directional and I have a plan in place to add more crossover turnouts to route train traffic. Again more on that later.

The one point I would like to make is that by utilizing Märklin's C track program these changes are easily obtainable. Never had I thought that this was going to be an enjoyable endeavour as it is! So easy to accomplish that I have no fears of making changes on my layout. It's all about having fun and that's what this hobby's all about!

Regards.

Edited by user 04 May 2019 20:30:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Danlake  
#27 Posted : 04 May 2019 21:22:59(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Good morning,

Depending on which program I use I can easily jumper the three sensors in a block into one sensor for a block as the requirement for TrainController dictates. More on that later on another post.

Regards.

Hi Michel,

There is some misunderstanding here or maybe I misunderstood your post.

There is no requirement that one block only contains one sensors. A block can have has many sensors as you wishThumpUp

PS: great progress on your layout - well done and looking forward to see your trains running.

Best Regards
Lasse
Offline michelvr  
#28 Posted : 05 May 2019 01:47:17(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Good morning,

Depending on which program I use I can easily jumper the three sensors in a block into one sensor for a block as the requirement for TrainController dictates. More on that later on another post.

Regards.

Hi Michel,

There is some misunderstanding here or maybe I misunderstood your post.

There is no requirement that one block only contains one sensors. A block can have has many sensors as you wishThumpUp

PS: great progress on your layout - well done and looking forward to see your trains running.

Best Regards
Lasse

Hello Lasse,

I value you input and help so here is what I have found out.

From what I was told TrainController only needs one detector per block. This information was given to me by a TrainController Gold user by telephone and his advice I take personally, ”For a block only one occupancy detector Michel!”

So now I know if I decide to purchase TrainController this is the correct way of detecting.

If not then I have wired in enough detectors for Rocrail.

Either way until I download the software and try it, I'm doing the best I can for now.

Regards,

Michel
Offline Danlake  
#29 Posted : 05 May 2019 02:41:29(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Michel,

Not entirely correct. Iam not trying to be rude and Iam sure you friend is knowledgeable and experienced. But here is from the Gold manual:

Page 47:
Blocks are the base elements for automatic train control and tracking of train positions. There is a close relation between feedback sensors and blocks: each block is associated with one or more feedback sensors.

Advanced section page 160:
To establish a block on your railroad, it is necessary to install the required sensors. De-pending on the principle of the contact sensors used it may be necessary to electrically insulate the track section belonging to each contact sensor from adjacent sections. Whether electrical insulation is necessary or not depends solely on the contact sensors being used. The software does not require electrical insulation of your blocks.

The software does not require that a block is electrically insulated from other blocks. However, the sensors used might require this.

Blocks usually contain several indicators. If these indicators represent isolated or separate track sections, then several track sections are contained in the same block (see also 5.8, “Arranging Indicators and Markers in a Block”).

Most people will not isolated the whole section to make it into one long occupancy block. The trick is to have a few feedback sensors within each block, because every time you have a sensor the PC software will more accurately be able to conduct various actions. The more feedback sensor the better control, but in reality no need to go over board - hence the advice for a long block of 3 feedback sensor is more than adequate.

On the other hand if you have a short track section between 2 turnouts which is not a station and where trains normally not would stop in front of a signal - then just save you the hassle and install only one feedback sensor.

Hope this put it in perspective.

Best Regards
Lasse
Offline PeFu  
#30 Posted : 05 May 2019 09:19:57(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
I agree with Danlake, there must be some kind of misunderstanding on TrainController. This is my current view on indicators and TrainController:

(1) No physical indicators in block: I have tested it, and it works. Here, the virtual indicators in the block actually refer to indicators in other blocks, e.g. ”indicate when train passes 200 cm by indicator X, heading right direction”. However, this will not work if the train has to stop in the previous block... Very well calibrated engines are required.

(2) One physical indicator in block: Here you use the indicator as reference for brake and stop markers, in both directions. I also have a long double-track mainline. It’s approx, 20 meters, divided into 7 blocks per track, most of them have only one physical indicator. As my standard train length is 150 cm, and the track is one-directional, this works very well. TrainController Gold can still manage longer trains, as it will calculate the number of previous blocks - and routes between them - that needs to stay reserved. Well calibrated engines are required.

(3) Two physical indicators in block: This is my standard setup for shorter blocks. The indicators are approx. 20 cm long, at each the end of the block, having non detected tracks in between. The indicators are used as brake and stop markers, depending on direction. Calibrated engines are still preferred, as you want the brake ramp to look nuce. If I want short trains, like railcars, to stop in the middle of the block/platform, I use the brake indicator as reference for a specific stop marker for short trains. For this, well calibrated engines are required.

(4) Three or more physical indicators in block: Derives even more possibilities for exact brake and stop, and less need for engine calibration. But you still need calibration, if you want the brake ramp to look nice... Additional indicators could also be beneficial for controlling train operations, like lights and sound, or controlling a crossing gate.

(5) The whole block detected with one or several physical detectors: If using a good software package, the only contribution is detecting lost cars.

(6) All tracks including routes and turnouts detected with several physical detectors: As bullet 5.
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline michelvr  
#31 Posted : 05 May 2019 15:11:22(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Lasse and Peter,

Thank you very much for your advice on TrainController.

I'm hoping to install both TrainController and Rocrail on my computer later this week. Once I get to the installation and then the set up of operating I will test it out. I will post my findings on the actual setup and use. Until then have a beautiful day!

Edited by user 06 May 2019 23:56:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Minok  
#32 Posted : 06 May 2019 21:23:28(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I agree with the others that more than one detection area inside a block is just fine in Train Controller.
With TC what you can do is it can do good things with just 1 detection zone in a block. The others are virtual (they use time-distance computation and the speed profile of the loco to estimate the position of the loco). But with more physical detection zones you always get more precise detection, especially if a block is long.
With TC it works just fine with only 1, that is only one is needed. But with more you get better results.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok