Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 26 October 2018 00:20:52(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I'm thinking of adding sound and smoke to my Märklin 3796 BR96 Mallet Loco. I've included some pics and as you can see I've already ungraded the motor bearings. There's a rather large hole under where the Suethe #10 would go and if my measurements are correct I would only have to go about 1.2mm before breaking through from the smokestack to the hole underneath. The smokestack now is about 3.5mm inside and will need to be widened to 5mm to accommodate a #10 unit.

This all looks rather straight forward to me but I'm looking for input to possible problems before starting in just in case I overlooked anything.

Thanks! Chuck

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 31 October 2018 21:15:44(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Chuck

I installed a Märklin Sound decoder on a BR 96 but unlike you I did not installed a smoke unit but rather a Telex coupling.
The delicate point for me was to keep the rear truck (with the motor) free to rotate laterally (of course) but also vertically so that the traction tyre is always in contact with the track.
This seems a piece of cake but the limited available space and the loud speacker type and positioning are to be adressed. IMO decoders with a separate PCB must not be used.
All is OK now.
This is a good project I think

Cheers

Jean
Offline ktsolias  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2018 21:53:13(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Just now I am on the same project.
Mine is a 37967 with mfx sound decoder.
I have already did the mapping for the AUX 1 (f1), is easy with the CS3 and working fine
The problem is that the upper hole is 3,5mm. Inside is a metal diaphragm in which easily I did a 3,5mm hole
The hole in the lower side is a 5mm. Can not be opened to 7mm to fit a no 20 generator because is very important for the movement of the front track.
So the other way is to widen the hole into the smoke stack to 5mm for the no 10 generator but the outside diameter is 7mm. Is 1mm round enough or we will be with the smoke stack separated from the body???

Regards

Costas

Edited by user 01 November 2018 17:36:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 01 November 2018 02:55:15(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi, I have been disappointed with this loco when I found out it didn't have a smoke generator, Märklin sometimes had introduced locos without a smoke generator but included one at a later releases., I think the 3311 is one example with the latest version having one.
it would be nice if Märklin would produce this model with all wheels powered as they did with the class 44 and 50's. etc etc but no they produce the same model as a limited edition or have some other reasons to reproduce it without any improvements.
there also seems to be trend manufacturers these days design locos for the collector who has no desire ever to build a layout and therefore never would use a smoke generator or use the loco other than looking at it.
Suppose the silenced the critics the model is not to scale or not authentic., I'm surprised they haven't got rid of the rubber tyres all together.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline skeeterbuck  
#5 Posted : 01 November 2018 11:46:44(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post

The problem is that the upper hole is 3,5mm. Inside is a metal diaphragm in which easily I did a 3,5mm hole
The hole in the lower side is a 5mm. Can not be opened to 7mm to fit a no 21 generator because is very important for the movement of the front track.
So the other way is to widen the hole into the smoke stack to 5mm for the no 10 generator but the outside diameter is 7mm. Is 1mm round enough or we will be with the smoke stack separated from the body???

Regards

Costas

Exactly, but I think that the stack can be drilled to the 5mm. From my experience the metal casting can be drilled rather easily. You just need to use sharp drill bits and go slowly not taking too much metal at once. My current plan is to start with the 3.5mm bit which fits inside the stack casting now, then gradually go larger working my way up to a 5mm bit in the hope it will help keep the bit centered in the stack. I have mm & inch size bits which give me some "in between" sizes.

My concern is fitting the decoder and most of all finding room for a speaker.
Offline ktsolias  
#6 Posted : 01 November 2018 17:35:56(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post

The hole in the lower side is a 5mm. Can not be opened to 7mm to fit a no 21 generator because is very important for the movement of the front track.

Regards

Costas

Exactly, but I think that the stack can be drilled to the 5mm. From my experience the metal casting can be drilled rather easily. You just need to use sharp drill bits and go slowly not taking too much metal at once. My current plan is to start with the 3.5mm bit which fits inside the stack casting now, then gradually go larger working my way up to a 5mm bit in the hope it will help keep the bit centered in the stack. I have mm & inch size bits which give me some "in between" sizes.

My concern is fitting the decoder and most of all finding room for a speaker.

I had already drill the 3,5mm hole and have started the 4mm. As you mention the metal in mine drilled easilly.

For the decoder and the speaker:

The pictures of the 37967 may help

IMG_42251_resize.JPG

Of course is a different design but the space is the same

IMG_42250_resize.JPG

You can see the power pack which is not necessary

IMG_42257_resize.JPG

The speaker has his own place in the decoder holder

IMG_42255_resize.JPG

IMG_42261_resize.JPG

I think that there is enough space for the small speaker of the mSD/3 Märklin decoders.

In case that is not you can use a small ESU speaker

http://www.esu.eu/en/pro...ccessories/loudspeakers/

Regads

Costas

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#7 Posted : 01 November 2018 18:33:25(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
alternative with mSD3 Cool

UserPostedImage
Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by jonas_sthlm
Offline skeeterbuck  
#8 Posted : 03 November 2018 17:38:54(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
A small update. I was able to successfully drill out the smokestack on my BR96 to be able to fit a Seuthe Smoke Unit. I started with a 3.5 mm bit and gradually worked my way up to the 5mm that I needed. After some minor paint touch up to the inside of the stack it's ready for the unit to be inserted.

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck