Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline applor  
#1 Posted : 23 October 2018 00:12:41(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hi all,

I have a set of passenger coaches with interior lighting and so one of these coaches has a slider.
It is the standard Marklin clip in pickup shoe sold with interior lightning kits and has a despressed centre with a single hole in the middle.

IMG_2986.JPG

Unfortunately I've found that this design results in a short circuit when driving over the slender K track switches 22715/22716 set in the thrown position.
Closer inspection appeared to show that as the pukos rise to cross the rails in the centre area of the switch it results in the slider height dropping a little bit when the highest puko reaches the depressed centre.

When the slider drops that little bit it is enough for it to then touch the rail.
At speed this happens very quickly and avoids a short circuit overload from the CS2 but if you run it at medium speed it will stop the CS2 with an overload.

This is of course very frustrating and means all my sliders of this style need to be replaced.
The clip-in design of this slider is rather unique and so I don't believe there is a direct replacement for it.

Lucky for me I happened to have another slider (Brawa 2225) which is not a clip-in design but the flat part of the slider is the same length and attachment design as the Marklin!

Brawa.jpg

The tricky part is removing the flat slider part without damaging the spring part of the slider. The spring part did end up bent but I was able to straight it back out.

With the Brawa flat slider attached to the Marklin spring part and clip-in assembly my coach now travels over these points without issue.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? Any other alternatives that are not as costly? The Brawa slider is not cheap and you are only using half of it too.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 23 October 2018 00:20:06(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Here is a crappy MS paint picture of the issue if you are not sure what I am talking about:

slider2.jpg
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline michelvr  
#3 Posted : 23 October 2018 04:18:02(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Eric,

Sliders Cursing The CURSE !!! Cursing

Sorry to hear about you grief, I went through the same problems on my last K track layout. Once you remedy this all will go well! Trust me, been there done that!

My biggest problem was with the Koploper train set on the double slip 2275. Two sliders causing the train set to stop at slow speeds.

If interested;

https://www.marklin-user...itch-K-Track-design-flaw
Offline amartinezv  
#4 Posted : 23 October 2018 11:37:50(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone else noticed this issue?Any other alternatives that are not as costly?The Brawa slider is not cheap and you are only using half of it too.

Hello,

I think this has already been discussed here, on other occasions, I have found this link to the extraordinary website of Michael Prieskorn

http://bardioc.bplaced.n...ioc/Seite03/index-3.html

I hope it helps.

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 23 October 2018 21:43:25(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
I have noticed a similar problem (in reverse but with different dynamics) on C track turnouts, both slim and curved.

The issue is limited to the new style "flat" thin spring steel slider provided by Maerklin on some locos, and more generally on other brands locos.
The thin steel has a tendency to roll sideways on the pukos and making contact with a running rail.
This always at the point where the puko is closer to the running rail.

The problem does not occur with the solid brass "hole in the centre" slider.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 24 October 2018 04:19:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
There are also other possible reasons why :

a.) the tongue is touching the adjoining rail, I had to superglue the adjoining rail so it doesn't move forward (this scenario would short everytime a slider goes over it)
b.) the studs aren't high enough and with a pair of Pliers you can lift the studs a bit but be careful you don't slip, this could deform the stud
c.) to bend the slider slightly upwards (from the middle) just enough to prevent the slider to shorten.
d.) as mentioned above change the slider without a hole in the middle (this shouldn't be necessary as a lot of locos had this type of pickup shoe = all electric Bo-Bo classes and some steam and diesel locos
I'm a bit surprised that this type of pickup shoe is used on carriages I though they were shorter ?

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline michelvr  
#7 Posted : 24 October 2018 15:58:28(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Warning Graphic Content. The following post contains material that may be sensitive to some viewers.

The best solution to totally eliminate this dilemma is to switch to two rail track. Confused

Yes a simple solution to the age old problem with the slider. But like us all we will stay the course and embrace the idiosyncrasies and live on with Märklin, long live Märklin!

BigGrin

Edited by user 25 October 2018 03:15:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline hxmiesa  
#8 Posted : 24 October 2018 17:51:22(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately I've found that this design results in a short circuit when driving over the slender K track switches 22715/22716 set in the thrown position.
Closer inspection appeared to show that as the pukos rise to cross the rails in the centre area of the switch it results in the slider height dropping a little bit when the highest puko reaches the depressed centre.

When the slider drops that little bit it is enough for it to then touch the rail.
At speed this happens very quickly and avoids a short circuit overload from the CS2 but if you run it at medium speed it will stop the CS2 with an overload.

Fill the hole and the whole depression with a solder-blob, and carefully grind it down flush with the rest of the slider.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Minok  
#9 Posted : 24 October 2018 22:34:36(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Warning Graphic Content. The following post contains material that may be sensitive to some viewers.

The best solution to totally eliminate this dilemma is to switch to two rail track. Confused

Yeah but then you have to go around creating isolated sections and installing reversing-loop controllers all over the place.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok