Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jabez  
#1 Posted : 21 May 2018 23:28:10(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I have an mfx loco that runs in the opposite direction to the direction arrows indicated on my MS2 display.
How do I fix this?
I'm sure I've seen this question before on the forum, but I can't find the relevant posts with 'search'.
Thanks for your help.
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline Dave Banks  
#2 Posted : 22 May 2018 00:51:04(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello Jabez, could you please tell us the # number of the loco in question please. One other question is, does the headlights operate in direction of travel?

https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...on-2--60653---TRIX-66950

Towards the end of that thread this topic pops up. Read carefully.
D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 22 May 2018 05:56:07(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
What kind of locomotive is it? Does it have one driver's cab or two? What happens if you take the locomotive and lift it off the track and then put it back in the other direction?
I know that some of my ESU decoders allow you to change settings that would explain this, but I have no clue if this can be done on a post-ESU mfx decoder.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 22 May 2018 07:57:07(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
I have an mfx loco that runs in the opposite direction to the direction arrows indicated on my MS2 display.
How do I fix this?
Could be a PEBKAC case. Several Märklin models have cab 2 ahead in "forward" direction. The centre rail slider counts, not the numbers on the cabs.
If the problem persists after changing the direction twice, please report the ref. number of the model.

Not much you can do to fix this with the MS2 - unless it is a loco with support for DCC.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline MaerklinLife  
#5 Posted : 22 May 2018 12:16:01(UTC)
MaerklinLife

For clarification:
PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline skeeterbuck  
#6 Posted : 22 May 2018 16:52:54(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
If it's wired correctly the headlights should follow the direction. For a Märklin decoder the gray wire goes the the front lamp and the yellow goes to the rear lamp. To reverse the direction of any DC permanent magnet motor you just need to reverse the leads.

Chuck
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 22 May 2018 19:01:51(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
To reverse the direction of any DC permanent magnet motor you just need to reverse the leads.
To reverse the direction of a Märklin c90 motor (60941 or similar), just turn the magnet around.
If the loco runs in the wrong direction after thorough cleaning, it could be just the magnet installed the wrong way around.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline franciscohg  
#8 Posted : 23 May 2018 01:54:19(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Tom, IIRC all the magnets in my conversion, had a "side", no way to put them on another way.
Perhaps just the motor cables are wrongly connected, with a Central command unit should be very easy to fix.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline GLI  
#9 Posted : 23 May 2018 02:58:00(UTC)
GLI

Fransico

I have to agree with Tom on this. I have run my Marklin locos with permanent magnets now for over 30 years. Whenever I had this problem (whether running on DC or DCC), I have simply removed the magnet and turned it 180 degrees to correct the problem. This applied whether it was LFCM, SFCM or DCM.

Regards
Geoff

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GLI
Offline franciscohg  
#10 Posted : 23 May 2018 03:14:47(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Yes,yes,yes
My mistake......Crying ,
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 23 May 2018 11:17:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The magnets for the 60944 conversions definitely have two different sides. The side that fits into the frame had wider lugs and the side that fits into the brush plate has slimmer "stepped" pins.

I know because I just fitted one yesterday!

Francisco is at least partly right.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Jabez  
#12 Posted : 23 May 2018 19:34:38(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
thanks for all the responses. It is actually an ancient 3095 tank steamer from many decades ago that for sentimental reasons I had converted to run on my digital layout. So I know which direction it should go and it ain't a PEBKAC case. As an added complication to diagnosis the model only had running lights at the front. The job was done by a Maerklin dealer and it seemed to run fine in the store, but after I got it home I noticed that it was running in a reverse direction to that indicated by the MS2 arrows. I had it in my skull that I had seen this problem raised and answered in a simple manner on the forum which is why I asked here first. I must have dreamed it.
Of course I'll just take it back to store and have it fixed there.
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 24 May 2018 08:04:12(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
The magnets for the 60944 conversions definitely have two different sides.
Depends on the definition of "magnet".
The neodym magnet is symmetric and can be turned around to reverse the direction.
The two steel pieces attached to the neodym magnet (this assembly is sometimes called the field magnet) are asymmetric and cannot be turned around.

Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
I had it in my skull that I had seen this problem raised and answered in a simple manner on the forum which is why I asked here first.
With an ECoS or Central Station it takes just a few clicks or taps to rectify this issue.
With an MS2 you just disable mfx in the MS2 and change a few CVs using DCC to rectify the issue.

If the loco was converted to a DC motor then you can simply turn around the neodym magnet to change the direction of the motor. Reversing the lights requires changing some CVs.

The CVs involved are different between ESU V3 and V4 decoders, different between ESU and Märklin decoders, and most likely even different between MSD and MSD/3.

We still don't know which decoder was installed and whether the motor was converted, so a step by step HOW TO for MS2 users would be pure speculation.

I've seen many threads where users thought their V 200, E 03, or E 18 was driving in the wrong direction. The first post in this thread leaves room for speculation.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 24 May 2018 14:22:51(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Indeed, I even remember a thread where the poster thought that the loco was wrong because when the arrow pointed left the loco went right. Of course this is easily fixed by turning the loco the other way around! BigGrin

I don't think anyone has mentioned the other issue to do with direction, which applies to earlier decoders. The 6080 and early delta decoders did not remember which way was forward, so it was a random chance that determined whether the loco direction coincided with the MS2 arrows or not. For those decoders it was simple to remedy, just lift the loco off the layout, reverse the controller, and put the loco back!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.