Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Nick2017  
#1 Posted : 05 April 2018 18:34:13(UTC)
Nick2017

Russian Federation   
Hi there!

I'm a novice in Marklin models.
Some time ago i've bought Marklin 34159. I've used it in static exposition.
Now I'm going use it on layout. Also I'm going to buy CS3.
Locimotive specs shows Delta decoder installed.
Will it controlled by CS3 or I should convert it to DC motor and MFX decoder?
How do I can get DC conversion kit model number for my 34159 if it need conversion?

Thank you!
Nick.
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 05 April 2018 19:08:28(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Nick2017 Go to Quoted Post
Hi there!

I'm a novice in Marklin models.
Some time ago i've bought Marklin 34159. I've used it in static exposition.
Now I'm going use it on layout. Also I'm going to buy CS3.
Locimotive specs shows Delta decoder installed.
Will it controlled by CS3 or I should convert it to DC motor and MFX decoder?
How do I can get DC conversion kit model number for my 34159 if it need conversion?

Thank you!
Nick.

Yes, a CS 3 does handle this loco with its motor and decoder. It is a multiprotocol controlling system. But if you buy a CS 3 then also buy this book at the same time.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/03092/

Answers plenty of your questions regarding motors, decoders, track-formats (delta, fx, MM, mfx, etc.), devices, signals, etc., etc. - excellent overview about a digital railroad too.

Also download the manual for the CS 3 here

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/60216/

or here

https://static.maerklin....065db123781498138103.pdf

What comes with the CS 3 package helps you absolutely nothing. There is no worthwhile manual inside.
Offline Nick2017  
#3 Posted : 05 April 2018 19:37:24(UTC)
Nick2017

Russian Federation   
Thank you!

If I will want to convert it to digital with one of modern mfx decoder with sound functions how I can identify suitable DC motor model for it?
As I read controller should be 60975/60965. BTW dont anybody knows what the difference are between that controllers?

Quote:

Yes, a CS 3 does handle this loco with its motor and decoder. It is a multiprotocol controlling system. But if you buy a CS 3 then also buy this book at the same time.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/03092/

Answers plenty of your questions regarding motors, decoders, track-formats (delta, fx, MM, mfx, etc.), devices, signals, etc., etc. - excellent overview about a digital railroad too.

Also download the manual for the CS 3 here

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/60216/

or here

https://static.maerklin....065db123781498138103.pdf

What comes with the CS 3 package helps you absolutely nothing. There is no worthwhile manual inside.

Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 05 April 2018 20:33:26(UTC)
Minok

United States   
There are motor conversion kits, if you don't have a DC motor, which installs permanent magnets and converts an AC style motor to a DC motor. I'll let the experts that have experience with these conversions chime in about which one is needed for your locomotive.
From the decoders, the 60975 appears to be the newer version replacing the 60965; what they changed in the update, the experts hopefully will respond with.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 05 April 2018 21:45:39(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Nick2017 Go to Quoted Post
Thank you!

If I will want to convert it to digital with one of modern mfx decoder with sound functions how I can identify suitable DC motor model for it?
As I read controller should be 60975/60965. BTW dont anybody knows what the difference are between that controllers?

Hello Nick,

well I do not want to be a weisenheimer or so. Your loco is a digital one and has a motor for digital current use inside. The 60975/60965 is not a controller these are art# for decoder. But you will get more and more questions about these things. So please let me start with fundamentals. Plenty of them are discussed here in the forum already, especially for a CS 3. Even you find most of the answers in the recommended book. Your advantage is, that this book is now in English available. A year ago it was not! I got this book almost 2 years ago in German and I am still reading almost every day in it. For me it is like a thesaurus too. But please be aware about the English. It is often not a good translation as our English mother tongue speakers may certify here. Anyway you will come back here for more questions. I myself have this problem too.

Are you able to read or understand a few words in German as well? I ask because Märklin has published many of brochures and books about its digital railway. So e.g. about the new decoders mSD3. But unfortunately they are only available in German. Be aware there are still decoders as a mSD are available. These are the old ones, cheaper and working, but with an old technology. State of the art is the new mSD3 class and in my opinion the only choice, if you use a CS 3.

I read in a German community that one member is changing step by step for his over 50 locos all decoders to the mSD3 one, because of its quality against all the other decoders before Märklin had issued.

mSD3 (= Märklin Sound Decoder 3) stands for a decoder with sound, a mLD3 (= Märklin Locomotive Decoder 3) is a decoder for a loco without sound.

But they are all and always mfx decoders.

The different numbers are because of their pre stored sound on the decoders. One sound is for steamers, one for Diesels and one for electric locos.

I did not find a proof yet, but I guess that the “3” in the name aligns to the name of the CS 3. The CS 3 is the first controller from Maerklin in a 32 bit technology and these decoders to. For me the main reason for both of their technical quality.

Also there is a difference in size, cabling and mounting of the decoders. All this you see really very helpful and with pictures in an overview in the recommended book. And to me a picture says sometimes more than hundred words. So I really keep here on basics and request you to get a view into this book.

Your loco is already digital and has a DCM motor. It is from the digital Delta system. And yes I would recommend to change the decoder to a mSD3 art# 60975 (the art# 60965 is the old decoder model mSD). It is the one with the preset sound for a steamer. Also the mSD3 are mfx decoders, the Delta ones are not.

Later on you may change the sound to the one you like. Märklin offers for this a huge sound library. Meanwhile with the new 32-bit technology Märklin even offers the possibility doing your own individual sound project and load it up to your loco. For storage purposes there is indeed now a 64 Mbit storage room on the mSD3 decoder.

One thing I would recommend to you. Think about, if buying a CS 3 or a CS 3+. The main technical difference is the galvanic separation inside. For this theme 2 links to topics at marklin-users.net telling you more about it.

https://www.marklin-user...CS3-vs-CS3--which-to-get

https://www.marklin-user...t39951-CVS3-plus-and-S88

Enough for this time. Get ride off your headache and then we see you here again?

Regards

TEEWolf
Offline Nick2017  
#6 Posted : 08 April 2018 07:10:12(UTC)
Nick2017

Russian Federation   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
The 60975/60965 is not a controller these are art# for decoder. But you will get more and more questions about these things. So please let me start with fundamentals. Plenty of them are discussed here in the forum already, especially for a CS 3. Even you find most of the answers in the recommended book. Your advantage is, that this book is now in English available. A year ago it was not! I got this book almost 2 years ago in German and I am still reading almost every day in it. For me it is like a thesaurus too. But please be aware about the English. It is often not a good translation as our English mother tongue speakers may certify here. Anyway you will come back here for more questions. I myself have this problem too.

TEEWolf

Thank you for detailed answer!

That's right, 6096X/6097X is decoder with sound sets for diferent loco types. There is in my electomechanical mind Blink all board conected to electrical drive is also controller.
There is no headache to choose one of solution. Headache when i drive past twice per day real roundhouse and turntable with working prototypes with real smoke and authentic sound. BigGrin

Nick