Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 25 March 2018 00:54:46(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I have a Märklin 3032 That I'm giving to my grandson to use. He want it to smoke like mine so I'm considering adding a smoke unit to it and I looking for possibility of a member having already done the conversion and the possible problems to look out for. I'm familiar with the layout on the inside and realize I'm going to need to drill out the stack to install it.

Thanks! Chuck

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 25 March 2018 08:32:26(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
I'm familiar with the layout on the inside and realize I'm going to need to drill out the stack to install it.
And you also have to get rid of the lightbulb - and maybe replace it with three SMD LEDs.

I never drilled such a hole.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 25 March 2018 14:22:48(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
I have a Märklin 3032 That I'm giving to my grandson to use. He want it to smoke like mine so I'm considering adding a smoke unit to it and I looking for possibility of a member having already done the conversion and the possible problems to look out for. I'm familiar with the layout on the inside and realize I'm going to need to drill out the stack to install it.

Thanks! Chuck

Did that conversion for one of my customers many years ago.
At the time , SMD style LEDs were not available, so I took out the front bulb and the lights "pipes " to make room for the smoke generator.
I installed three "grain of rice" style bulbs , wired in series and added a drop voltage resistor.
Today I'd do the same except I'd use white LEDs instead.
Again wiring them in series and dropping about 16V with 20 ma using a 820 Ohm resistor in series.
Hope this helps
Jacques

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline skeeterbuck  
#4 Posted : 25 March 2018 18:09:22(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Well, I've started and have the smokestack drilled out to receive the Seuthe #20 narrow style smoke unit. I removed the rivet holding the lamp housing to get that out of the way as Tom correctly indicated. I also modified the clear plastic lens piece by using my Dremel to mill away the area to allow clearance for the smoke unit. I hoping to just solder the wires directly to the original bulb and use that instead of the three LED's as Jacques has recommended. I use that as my alternate lighting method if the single bulb proves ineffective.

Chuck

[img]UserPostedImage[/img][img]UserPostedImage[/img][img]UserPostedImage[/img][img]UserPostedImage[/img]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline skeeterbuck  
#5 Posted : 04 April 2018 23:34:54(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Finished the conversion to add smoke to my grandson's BR81. He wanted to retain the front headlamp and was willing to give up the reverse for it. I made a brass wire bracket and soldered the lamp socket to it. I used the same screw that held the reverse unit to hold the bracket in place. He also requested that it visit the paint shop after the smoke conversion and the pics show the results. You can see even from the rather poor pics that the upper center headlamp is rather dim as most of the light to it is blocked by the smoke unit. The lower right rear lamp is painted in clear red paint (though it doesn't show in the photos) to add a little something to the rather drab rear end. He hasn't seen the finished loco yet. I hope he is please with the work of grandpa's "repair crew". RollEyes

I propped it up on some wood shims so the wheels were barely touching the rails so I could run the loco and get the pics. I also placed some black packing material behind so the smoke would show up better.

[img]UserPostedImage[/img] [img]UserPostedImage[/img] [img]UserPostedImage[/img] [img]UserPostedImage[/img] [img]UserPostedImage[/img] [img]UserPostedImage[/img]
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline ktsolias  
#6 Posted : 05 April 2018 12:05:08(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Sorry but this is not a conversion....

Costas
Offline skeeterbuck  
#7 Posted : 05 April 2018 12:26:18(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post