Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline svgeorgiad  
#1 Posted : 13 January 2006 14:01:41(UTC)
svgeorgiad

Greece   
Dear All
I am in the process of deciding upon the digital control of my planned layout. I tend to decide computer aided train control (Maerklin software or Windigipet probably). I have the 6021 control unit and will buy shortly the 6051 interface, which is absolutely necessary to the best of my knowledge. Then I will also get the feedback module 60880 (the new one, which to the best of my knowledge is compatible with my 6021 control unit) and the contact tracks 24994 (if I remember correctly the item number). Some boosters and additional transformers will be provided according to needs. However my big concern is following:
If I proceed to computer aided train control via Maerklin software, will it be possible to take advantage of all these great new sound features that the new Maerklin loks have or will these be not usable. In order to make them usable what will I need (buy a CS maybe and connect it???)
Thank you in advance for the feedback
Symeon
Symeon Georgiadis
Offline Fredrik  
#2 Posted : 13 January 2006 14:16:20(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Hi there,

with the 6021+6051 you will benefit only sounds available on functions F(0)1-F4 on each decoder, some decoders though can access another 4 functions using a second address. All other functions are not reachable with the 6021 (say on mfx-decoders). To make all functions usable you will need the CS - but then for the moment computer control is not possible (no software available yet...).

This is regardless of which computer-control-software you choose, if the central can't reach the (sound-)function so can't the computer... It will also not be possible to run a 6021+6051 connected to a CS and access the new functions through the 6051 interface, as it has no commands for these, nor can the 6021 request those by the CS.

Simply: To use ALL new functions (in M* locos) you will need the CS...

When computer-control-software for the CS will be available, we don't really now yet.

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline svgeorgiad  
#3 Posted : 13 January 2006 15:41:21(UTC)
svgeorgiad

Greece   
Fredrik

Thank you for the insight!
From your words it seems rather imperative to go for the CS if I want to take advantage of the mfx functions of the new locs.
But honestly I think that if I weigh the advantages and disadvantages of CS compared to software control I will go for the later option as the CS is still in the immature phase and it will take some time and I guess also a lot of money from Maerklin fans till the S/W is really functional.
I will only have to sacrifice the sound options of the new locs but, that's only minor compared to the other gains.

Symeon Georgiadis
Offline plavnostruev  
#4 Posted : 13 January 2006 16:04:33(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
Hi Symeon,

That's right, Marklin wants you to buy CS so you could experience
additional bells and whistles, but you are thinking straight
and I strongly agree that at this stage of the game PC train
control is the way to go. You can get PC Interface for your
6021 or you may want to consider trading 6021 in and buying
Intellibox controller; it has all the features of 6021, PC Interface,
memory, keyboard and what not. Also, its PC interface is more
robust than Marklin's. Either way, enjoy building your layout!

Mike
Offline rschaffr  
#5 Posted : 13 January 2006 16:38:02(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I have two layouts, one with the 6021/6051 and one with the IB. I have to say I prefer the IB because the serial port is faster and you ahve better control, but they both work well.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline svgeorgiad  
#6 Posted : 13 January 2006 18:02:49(UTC)
svgeorgiad

Greece   
Hi Ron,
What software are you using with 6021/6051? Maerklin? Can you still use the 6021 control unit to control the locs even if you have installed the software? Personally I don't want to change the excellent feeling of the grip of the 6021 control unit with either the CS or Mobile Station inaccurate control knobs.
IB is an option and I have heard from a lot of people talking about that but still I believe the computer is a cheaper (since I already got one) and yet, in quality, equivalent alternative for train control, whereas at the same time it is more straightforward to me.
Has the Maerklin software control of the 7286 turntable too? What about other accessories i.e. Kibri moving bridge. Can they also be incorporated and controled by the software?

Symeon Georgiadis
Offline svgeorgiad  
#7 Posted : 13 January 2006 18:08:36(UTC)
svgeorgiad

Greece   
Mike
Trading 6021 for IB is maybe an option. Yet I doubt if my 6021 will get a good price in Ebay. Everybody is looking for the 6036 (80f) control unit rather than the 6021. So I will have to invest a whole lot of money to buy the IB, which is something like 500Euro, right?
Now if I make a breakdown:
6021 ---> free 0 (I have it)
6051 ---> buy 170 Euro
60512---> buy 170 Euro
TOTAL 340 Euro

Instead of:
6021 ---> Trade it for 70 Euro?
IB ----> Buy for 500 Euro
TOTAL 430 Euro

I am still better off with S/W control if the prices I put for IB are correct.
Symeon Georgiadis
Offline rschaffr  
#8 Posted : 13 January 2006 18:13:07(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Mike: I wrote my own software. Yes you can still control trains even with the software running, and you can control anything with an address, although for a crane I guess you would need a dedicated routine in the software. If you have addressed a lok on your computer and try to control it with the 6021, when you enter the number it will flash saying that the lok is being controlled through the interface. if you enter it again, the 6021 takes over. Ont he other hand, if you have the lok addressed ont he 6021 and try to control it through the 6051, it will be blocked.

If you are using a computer to control your trains, the main advantage of the IB is the serial port speed...much faster on the IB.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
Offline McLae  
#9 Posted : 13 January 2006 19:29:09(UTC)
McLae

No need to sell your 6021 if you get an IB.wink You can use it as a throttle (becomes a 6036).

Most commercial software (such as RR&Co) knows about 6051 protocol and many know the IB special syntax. Many non-comercial programs also work with 6051/IB.

There is NO software available today for the CS. Marklin/ESU have not released the specifications or hardware to allow computer control yet. No clue how long that will take, either.[:o)]

If you want computer control, you have two options: 6051 or IB.

Oh, and you forgot that the IB also comes with two throttles, and acts as 1/2 a 6040.

Sorry to tell you the bad news.[}:)]wink
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline john black  
#10 Posted : 13 January 2006 19:36:18(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by svgeorgiad
<br />Personally I don't want to change the excellent feeling of the grip of the 6021 control unit with either the CS or Mobile Station inaccurate control knobs

Fair right, Symeon Smile - never understood why M changed this excellent throttle for such crap ... [xx(]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline DasBert33  
#11 Posted : 13 January 2006 19:39:50(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
I have read on another forum that PC control for the CS will be released only this summer....... and maybe only for windigipet (or how is it called?).

I'm waiting for RR&Co to support the CS before I buy it (so maybe never). I now have a 6021+6051, it works, but is very limited in features, so I cannot recommend it.

Edit: you could go for a 6051 and buy a CS and 6021-CS adapter later. The adapter is supposed to appear sooner than the CS update. But your pccontrol will still be limited by the old 6051.

Bert
Offline rschaffr  
#12 Posted : 13 January 2006 21:22:37(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Bert: I don't really find the 6021/6051 particularly limiting. It does everything I need it to do.
-Ron
Offline plavnostruev  
#13 Posted : 13 January 2006 21:47:28(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
Quote:
<br />Mike
Trading 6021 for IB is maybe an option. Yet I doubt if my 6021 will get a good price in Ebay. Everybody is looking for the 6036 (80f) control unit rather than the 6021. So I will have to invest a whole lot of money to buy the IB, which is something like 500Euro, right?
Now if I make a breakdown:
6021 ---&gt; free 0 (I have it)
6051 ---&gt; buy 170 Euro
60512---&gt; buy 170 Euro
TOTAL 340 Euro

Instead of:
6021 ---&gt; Trade it for 70 Euro?
IB ----&gt; Buy for 500 Euro
TOTAL 430 Euro

I am still better off with S/W control if the prices I put for IB are correct.

I have not tracked 6021 on eBay lately (have not seen one for
a while), but I sold mine a year ago for ~140 EUR and bought brand new IB in a store for ~400 EUR.
I saw just over a week ago new
IB with Infrared control go for only 320 EUR[:p]

Also keep in mind that IB has TWO throttles, not just one and it
has all others extras like keyboard and memory builtin. This is
very important because PC control or not, you'll still need
from time to time direct control over turnouts and locos.

I can't stop thinking that IB will somehow manage an upgrade
of IB to speak MFX as well. Those boys in Uhlenbrock have always
been very creative...

Mike
Offline rschaffr  
#14 Posted : 13 January 2006 21:58:38(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
There is a 6021 on eBay today. It is currently at $100.00 with 8 bidders. It is coming from Australia so the shipping will be significant too. There appears to still be a market out there for them.
-Ron
Offline DasBert33  
#15 Posted : 13 January 2006 22:17:07(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />Bert: I don't really find the 6021/6051 particularly limiting. It does everything I need it to do.

I think it depends on what you want to do with it. For just having a simple switchboard on your PC it's perfect, but:
- it has no absolute direction control for locos (motorola 2 format)
- it doesnt feedback loco speed settings (through 6021/6036) or switch settings (through keyboard) to the pc, only the s88 bus
- it's relatively slow, 2400baud (you shouldnt have too much things going on at the same time)
)

The first 2 things are really limiting my personal experience. If you do not very carefully setup your trains they start in the wrong direction. Very annoying with automation.
You cannot easily drive yourself with the 6021/6036 between automated trains because the computer doesnt know that you are driving. An automated schedule is also easily messed up by accidently having a loco selected, and thus overriding the pc's control.

I think IB solves these issues, but I decided to wait for the CS. Maybe I will regret that if they really don't disclose their network protocol.

Bert

Offline rschaffr  
#16 Posted : 13 January 2006 22:31:58(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Well, true, but most of those can be solved in software. My system detects a train in the wrong direction and reverses it. It will let me drive a train manually, although I am not quite satisfied with that alogrithm yet. It need a lot more work.
-Ron
Offline svgeorgiad  
#17 Posted : 14 January 2006 15:22:16(UTC)
svgeorgiad

Greece   
I think it depends on what you want to do with it. For just having a simple switchboard on your PC it's perfect, but:
- it has no absolute direction control for locos (motorola 2 format)
- it doesnt feedback loco speed settings (through 6021/6036) or switch settings (through keyboard) to the pc, only the s88 bus
- it's relatively slow, 2400baud (you shouldnt have too much things going on at the same time)
)

The first 2 things are really limiting my personal experience. If you do not very carefully setup your trains they start in the wrong direction. Very annoying with automation.
You cannot easily drive yourself with the 6021/6036 between automated trains because the computer doesnt know that you are driving. An automated schedule is also easily messed up by accidently having a loco selected, and thus overriding the pc's control.

I think IB solves these issues, but I decided to wait for the CS. Maybe I will regret that if they really don't disclose their network protocol.

Is it correct to assume that all these problems that you mention (i.e. feedback loco speed settings, slow speed, no directional control of the locs ) are solved with IB? Would you therefore recommend IB instead of 6051/6021?
Symeon Georgiadis
Offline svgeorgiad  
#18 Posted : 14 January 2006 15:29:21(UTC)
svgeorgiad

Greece   
Also keep in mind that IB has TWO throttles, not just one and it
has all others extras like keyboard and memory builtin. This is
very important because PC control or not, you'll still need
from time to time direct control over turnouts and locos.
I can't stop thinking that IB will somehow manage an upgrade
of IB to speak MFX as well. Those boys in Uhlenbrock have always
been very creative...
Mike

Mike,
From what you say it looks like you are in favor of IB for all these reasons that you mention and which I perfectly understand. Indeed you will need direct control over turnouts and locos from time to time. Now what you say about the possibility of upgrade to speak MFX as well that is really awesome!!! Would you recommend to wait for a while and see what is happening in this field? I believe I can wait for a couple of months. But then my fear is that if I choose IB Maerklin will come up later with some new bells and whistles that won't be compatible with IB and so forth!!!
After this discussion I am closer to select IB but still I would like to see a product that complies with the new MFX decoders. Anybody has inside information on whether Uhlenbrock is really working on trying to get the IB working with the new MFX decoders?
Symeon
Symeon Georgiadis
Offline McLae  
#19 Posted : 14 January 2006 15:31:19(UTC)
McLae

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Is it correct to assume that all these problems that you mention (i.e. feedback loco speed settings, slow speed, no directional control of the locs ) are solved with IB? Would you therefore recommend IB instead of 6051/6021?

I would say yes.

When I was looking to upgrade from my old 6022, I did pricing for IB vs 6021 system. The IB came out way cheaper than the 6021, due to all the parts the IB has already. A 6021 by itself was cheaper, but then you had to get a 6036, 6051, and 6040 to match features. Total cost was way less.

The IB is still cheaper than the CSwink and still has more features.[:o)] The only thing the IB does not have is MFX(Yetwink) and the Marklin name.
The McLae
Offline DasBert33  
#20 Posted : 14 January 2006 17:53:08(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Quote:
Is it correct to assume that all these problems that you mention (i.e. feedback loco speed settings, slow speed, no directional control of the locs ) are solved with IB? Would you therefore recommend IB instead of 6051/6021?

YES! (or wait for Ecos or CS)

The slow speed is not a problem for me because I have a small layout. (max 2-3 trains running at once) The 2 other things have irritated me a lot though (I use RR&co to automate my layout).

Bert
Offline svgeorgiad  
#21 Posted : 15 January 2006 09:29:25(UTC)
svgeorgiad

Greece   
When I was looking to upgrade from my old 6022, I did pricing for IB vs 6021 system. The IB came out way cheaper than the 6021, due to all the parts the IB has already. A 6021 by itself was cheaper, but then you had to get a 6036, 6051, and 6040 to match features. Total cost was way less.
The IB is still cheaper than the CS and still has more features. The only thing the IB does not have is MFX(Yet) and the Marklin name.
The McLae

Dear Mike and McLae
Here is what I read in Uhlenbrock's brochure in German:
Zu der IB haben Sie kostenlose Zugriff auf das Upgrade zur Softwareversion 2.0, sobald dieses verfuegbar ist. Die Version 2.0 der Systemsoftware unterstuetzt beispielsweise 12 Sonderfunktionen fuer DCC-Decoder, die Lokauswahl aus dem Refreshzyklus ist moeglich und die angewaehlten Lokaddressen koennen beim Abschalten gespeichert werden, sodass sie nach dem Einschalten sofort wieder verfuegbar sind.
Basically it says that if you buy the new Intellibox-IR you get a free software upgrade when this is released by Uhlenbrock to support for example 12 special functions for DCC decoders (maybe the sound functions of the new mfx decoders?). The selection of loc from the <u>refreshing cycle??? </u>will be possible and the selected locaddresses will be able to be saved upon turning off so that when the system is turned on again the loc-addresses can be recalled.
Is my assumption valid that Uhlenbrock will soon announce software that will enable users of IB to utilize the new bells and whistles of the Maerklin mfx decoders or not? And most important, if someone buys the IB today he will be able to have this upgrade fro free when it comes out. If this is the case I will buy one tomorrow.
Symeon
Symeon Georgiadis
Offline Fredrik  
#22 Posted : 15 January 2006 11:29:06(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Quote:
<br />Quote
The IB is still cheaper than the CS and still has more features. The only thing the IB does not have is MFX(Yet) and the Marklin name.
The McLae

Dear Mike and McLae
Here is what I read in Uhlenbrock's brochure in German:
Zu der IB haben Sie kostenlose Zugriff auf das Upgrade zur Softwareversion 2.0, sobald dieses verfuegbar ist. Die Version 2.0 der Systemsoftware unterstuetzt beispielsweise 12 Sonderfunktionen fuer DCC-Decoder, die Lokauswahl aus dem Refreshzyklus ist moeglich und die angewaehlten Lokaddressen koennen beim Abschalten gespeichert werden, sodass sie nach dem Einschalten sofort wieder verfuegbar sind.
Basically it says that if you buy the new Intellibox-IR you get a free software upgrade when this is released by Uhlenbrock to support for example 12 special functions for DCC decoders (maybe the sound functions of the new mfx decoders?). The selection of loc from the <u>refreshing cycle??? </u>will be possible and the selected locaddresses will be able to be saved upon turning off so that when the system is turned on again the loc-addresses can be recalled.
Is my assumption valid that Uhlenbrock will soon announce software that will enable users of IB to utilize the new bells and whistles of the Maerklin mfx decoders or not? And most important, if someone buys the IB today he will be able to have this upgrade fro free when it comes out. If this is the case I will buy one tomorrow.
Symeon

With the IB you will be able to reach all functions mapped for F0-F4 on the base digital address of an mfx-loco, as well as mapped functions F1-F4 for the second address (basically 1 # higher than base-address), regardless of function-types. You will reach 9 functions with the IB as well as with the 6021. Benefits of the IB, though, is:
<ul><li>Direction control possible from computer</li>
<li>multi-protocol</li>
<li>faster interface</li>
<li>possibility to manually control trains controlled by the computer (software must also support this, or trains that you "mess" with might behave irregular)</li>
<li>switches (and signals) can be locked out of "human interfearence" from the computer (i.e. route-lock)</li>
<li>Loco-net bus (for those who want/needs it)</li>
<li>Free update to 2.0 (when available), it won't be a drawback - but the possibility it supports mfx is low</li>
<li>More functions - not listed here...</li>
</ul>
Today, as long as the interface-protocol of the CS is keeped secret, the IB is off course the better choice - the day Märklin reviews their position regarding this protocol I will have to review my standings, as I really like the CS. The secret protocol, though, is an enourmous draw-back of the CS - one which the ECoS will not have (although it initially won't speak mfx either). Are you reading Märklin??

You WOULD sell more Central Stations with the protocol released!!!!

Fredrik.
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline svgeorgiad  
#23 Posted : 15 January 2006 12:16:58(UTC)
svgeorgiad

Greece   
Fredrik
Thanks for the insight. However I read that IB shows some incompatibility problems with new Maerklin signs. What I would not like in any chance is buy today IB and end up having a system that will not be functional with new Maerklin products (signals, new mfx locs etc.)

Symeon
Symeon Georgiadis
Offline McLae  
#24 Posted : 15 January 2006 16:01:15(UTC)
McLae

The MFX decoders are backwards compatible. You may not be able to activate the sound of the driver pasing gas[}:)], but there are ways around that, especially with computer control.

As for signals, did you know that Viessmann designed the new Signals for Marklin? (Also catenary...) My Viessmann signals are just as good, and I have more options on how to control them.biggrin
The McLae
Offline svgeorgiad  
#25 Posted : 15 January 2006 22:43:10(UTC)
svgeorgiad

Greece   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by McLae
<br />The MFX decoders are backwards compatible. You may not be able to activate the sound of the driver pasing gas[}:)], but there are ways around that, especially with computer control.

As for signals, did you know that Viessmann designed the new Signals for Marklin? (Also catenary...) My Viessmann signals are just as good, and I have more options on how to control them.biggrin

I read in another topic that you received the Lufthansa Express as Xmas present from your wife (whom I believe you love very much after that, right?). Was it the one with E103 as loc? Maerklin or other brand?
Symeon Georgiadis
Offline McLae  
#26 Posted : 16 January 2006 02:05:56(UTC)
McLae

It was the 2867 with a BR111 as Lok.biggrin
That was many years ago.

This year it was the Wiesel set.biggrin

Winning the lottery has nothing over finding the right spouse.[:I]biggrinbiggrin
The McLae