Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline wbrown527  
#1 Posted : 26 January 2017 17:53:40(UTC)
wbrown527

United States   
I bought a 3047 which has trouble with the telex. It works fine going forward with the uncoupler activating and shutting off appropriately. However, when the engine is reversed, the telex works in that the uncoupler activates, but the engine does not move backwards consistently. Indeed, the engine will move backward with the uncoupler off, then the next time it will move backwards with the uncoupler activated. It does not cycle through properly as it does going forward. I would appreciate any comment regarding trouble-shooting this problem
Regards
Bill
Offline Crazy Harry  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2017 04:59:29(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: wbrown527 Go to Quoted Post
I bought a 3047 which has trouble with the telex. It works fine going forward with the uncoupler activating and shutting off appropriately. However, when the engine is reversed, the telex works in that the uncoupler activates, but the engine does not move backwards consistently. Indeed, the engine will move backward with the uncoupler off, then the next time it will move backwards with the uncoupler activated. It does not cycle through properly as it does going forward. I would appreciate any comment regarding trouble-shooting this problem
Regards
Bill

There could be several issues, maybe some closeup pictures would help. I recently changed a reverser in the same model (the one in my avatar). Check the following:

- are the brushes in good condition and in the right place
- are all wires connected properly
- check the contact on top of the reversing unit, dirty points leads to erratic operation
- the tension of the tabs that ride on the reverser cam may need adjustment

Pressing lightly on the contact on top of the reverser or tabs on the cam one at a time may reveal if one of these is the culprit.

Harold.
Offline sgtb  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2017 06:31:19(UTC)
sgtb

United States   
I had the same problem, after checking everything out I found my contact tip was arching and burnt. I used emery paper, its a fine sand paper we polish crankshafts with, and cleaned the tips with it.
I also replaced the the reversing spring. Since you just got this follow Harold's advise and completely go thru everything.

Hope this helps.
Bob
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sgtb