Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Peter Neumann  
#1 Posted : 17 December 2005 07:27:30(UTC)
Peter Neumann

United States   
Am curious, has anyone in the US tried replacing ROCO and other European wheelsets with those available through Walthers? I know there may be flange size issues in replacing Marklin wheels. But Bachmann makes some nice, heavy all-metal wheel sets (trucks) for their passenger cars - and I had contemplated using them to see how running characterists change or improve on my European cars. Thoughts from you experts?

Peter
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#2 Posted : 17 December 2005 16:21:51(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Hello Peter,

From my experience, only NEM wheels can run on Märklin rails without derailment. I have used wheels from Märklin and Roco but it seems that Mehano is also manufacturing NEM wheel sets.

On the other hand, if you wish to run your cars on American rails, RP25 wheels will do the job perfectly.

Pierre.
Offline Charlie  
#3 Posted : 17 December 2005 16:52:31(UTC)
Charlie

No, have not tried, but assume the Walthers offerings will be similar or be RP-25. Lower flanges, that could cause derailments on turnouts.

For the cost it most likely does not hurt to try, and give us a full report! Smile
Offline verheyen  
#4 Posted : 17 December 2005 16:57:38(UTC)
verheyen

Buy a set, re-gauge to the Märklin standard and try it out. If you're using c-track it might work, k or m I wouldn't bet on it.

p.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Peter Neumann
<br />Am curious, has anyone in the US tried replacing ROCO and other European wheelsets with those available through Walthers? I know there may be flange size issues in replacing Marklin wheels. But Bachmann makes some nice, heavy all-metal wheel sets (trucks) for their passenger cars - and I had contemplated using them to see how running characterists change or improve on my European cars. Thoughts from you experts?

Peter
Offline Peter Neumann  
#5 Posted : 18 December 2005 03:49:36(UTC)
Peter Neumann

United States   
I use nickel-silver K track...

The ROCO cars, of which I have many, run OKay on this track despite a slightly smaller wheel flange...the only problems I have ever experienced is when the train backs up over 2271 switches...when cars sometimes run over the wheel guides.

Of course, I found a solution long ago - I've added plastic strips to make the wheel guides in switches a little longer adn a little higher.

My question about wheels had perhaps less to do with flange size, but rather axle length and axle-end configarations....

Peter