Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline joyofmarklin  
#1 Posted : 07 March 2016 01:05:05(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Hi,
Just rediscovered my M track after a 40 year absence. Like it, but also thinking of starting a small digital system. I know the two are not compatible , but you can get the locomotives adapted. However like advise on what to start with. Understand you need a Central station, but would like views of what to look for on eBay, before I devote more money to this system.
Hopefully you will be kind to share your knowledge .

Many thanks
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 07 March 2016 01:58:30(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Nothing wrong with m-track. There are plenty of us on the forum running full-blown computer controlled layouts based on m-track.

That aside - a really good way to get into digital is to buy one of the start sets that come with a CS2 or MS2 depending on how far your budget reaches.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Harvey  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2016 02:44:20(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I also have M track and have added more M track of the years (now over 800). I run digital and there are no problems between digital and M track. If you do not have many M track and are thinking building a larger layout I suggest you give thought to using C track. There are converter tracks (M to C). You can stay with M track, buying used track on e-bay. If you travel to Germany or Switzerland, you can find many used M track in hobby stores.

Enjoy

Harvey
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Harvey
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 07 March 2016 08:11:48(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: joyofmarklin Go to Quoted Post
I know the two are not compatible [...] Understand you need a Central station
That's the type of customer Märklin will love, but, as other already noted, both assumptions are wrong.
Where did you get those ideas from?

Märklin brochures only recommend current Märklin items, leaving out non-Märklin products and discontinued items.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline joyofmarklin  
#5 Posted : 08 March 2016 02:16:34(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Nothing wrong with m-track. There are plenty of us on the forum running full-blown computer controlled layouts based on m-track.

That aside - a really good way to get into digital is to buy one of the start sets that come with a CS2 or MS2 depending on how far your budget reaches.

Thankyou so much for this good news. Like M track so will stay with that. Do you think worth going the whole hog for a CS 2? See there are several versions so perhaps go for the 2nd latest?
Offline joyofmarklin  
#6 Posted : 08 March 2016 02:18:26(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
I know the two are not compatible [...] Understand you need a Central station
That's the type of customer Märklin will love, but, as other already noted, both assumptions are wrong.
Where did you get those ideas from?

Märklin brochures only recommend current Märklin items, leaving out non-Märklin products and discontinued items.

Thanks, hence I asked for advice here before deciding.
Offline joyofmarklin  
#7 Posted : 08 March 2016 02:20:41(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: Harvey Go to Quoted Post
I also have M track and have added more M track of the years (now over 800). I run digital and there are no problems between digital and M track. If you do not have many M track and are thinking building a larger layout I suggest you give thought to using C track. There are converter tracks (M to C). You can stay with M track, buying used track on e-bay. If you travel to Germany or Switzerland, you can find many used M track in hobby stores.

Enjoy

Harvey

Many thanks for this advice, think I will stay with M track. Now need to decide whether to get a C or M control?
Offline artfull dodger  
#8 Posted : 08 March 2016 02:49:21(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
If you can afford the CS2, that would be my choice. I will soon have a MS2 and I have a Uhlenbrock digital system, kind of like the earlier 6021 Marklin set up on steriods. Works for my needs as a CS2 is out of reach for me right now. Hopefully in the future I can afford one. Good luck on which ever you decide on. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 08 March 2016 23:12:52(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Thankyou so much for this good news. Like M track so will stay with that. Do you think worth going the whole hog for a CS 2? See there are several versions so perhaps go for the 2nd latest?

All versions of the cs2 run the same software, and can be updated to the most recent software. The best one to get is the 60215 has it has higher current output available.

However it may be worth waiting until the cs3 comes out a little later this year (IIRC due Q2) and it is the same price as the discount price of a cs2.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline joyofmarklin  
#10 Posted : 09 March 2016 16:03:32(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

All versions of the cs2 run the same software, and can be updated to the most recent software. The best one to get is the 60215 has it has higher current output available.

However it may be worth waiting until the cs3 comes out a little later this year (IIRC due Q2) and it is the same price as the discount price of a cs2.

Thank you for this. A little confused, if I bought a secondhand mobile station such as the 60653 with junction box 60113 & power supply 66361 , would I still need a CS for it to work on my M track. See that here in the US there is a $100 price difference between the CS3 & CS3 plus, is it worth the difference for a medium size layout?Also how do you get the M turnouts & signals to work digitally? Many thanks for all your inputs.
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 09 March 2016 16:33:56(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Thank you for this. A little confused, if I bought a secondhand mobile station such as the 60653 with junction box 60113 & power supply 66361 , would I still need a CS for it to work on my M track. See that here in the US there is a $100 price difference between the CS3 & CS3 plus, is it worth the difference for a medium size layout?Also how do you get the M turnouts & signals to work digitally? Many thanks for all your inputs.

No you don't need a CS2. The MS2 will do you just fine. The track box has two wires which connect to the M track red and brown wires. The clips on the wires are designed for the C track lugs, but you can cut them off and connect to the M track feeder track directly. You may need to cut off any suppressor capacitors that are in the feeder track.

Turnouts and signals, assuming they are electrically operated, will need a decoder for each to work on the digital system. There are several versions of turnout decoder available, but generally they come in a box with four decoders which are enough for four double solenoid accessories like turnouts and signals or eight single solenoid accessories like uncoupling tracks. Look for k83 or m83 decoders like the 6083, 60830, 60831 etc
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline BrandonVA  
#12 Posted : 09 March 2016 17:37:03(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
I agree with Ray, an MS2 is a good starting point. They're very affordable, you can use it, and if you grow into a CS2/3 later you can still use it as an additional controller. The benefits of the CS2 are more advanced features that you may not want now, or possibly ever.

Plus the MS2 comes on very quickly, where as CS2 takes a couple of minutes to boot up. I imagine the CS3 will be faster, but nobody knows for sure.

-Brandon
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline joyofmarklin  
#13 Posted : 10 March 2016 00:22:01(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Many thanks for the advise 🤗
Offline joyofmarklin  
#14 Posted : 12 March 2016 20:16:47(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Hi,
Thinking of buying this to start, my digital experience, views? Also with turnouts do the solenoid go inside ? Also see that some run their turnouts by the M switches and run their locomotives on the mobile station, again views plse?
Many thanks Chris

UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#15 Posted : 12 March 2016 21:38:19(UTC)
Webmaster

That's a nice set to start with.

To extend the Digital starter kit with M-tracks for more fun, it could be an idea to get a couple of 24951 C -> M transition tracks...

http://www.ajckids.com/t...r=Marklin&item=24951

Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline joyofmarklin  
#16 Posted : 13 March 2016 01:06:16(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Many thanks will go ahead! Chris
Offline RayF  
#17 Posted : 13 March 2016 10:27:58(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi,
Thinking of buying this to start, my digital experience, views? Also with turnouts do the solenoid go inside ? Also see that some run their turnouts by the M switches and run their locomotives on the mobile station, again views plse?
Many thanks Chris

Hi Chris, sorry I missed this post.

Yes, you can run the turnouts in analogue fashion using the old Marklin switch boxes. This is how I do mine. For a small layout I find it easier just to press a small button to change a turnout than to scroll through menus on the MS2 looking for the right one!

If you do want to run them digital there are special C track turnout decoders that fit under the road bed and very conveniently connect up to the track current within the turnout itself, meaning there is no external wiring to be done. You can also use k83 or m83 decoders which will each switch up to four turnouts, but of course this requires extra wiring.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#18 Posted : 13 March 2016 13:28:31(UTC)
MaerklinLife

I know I might get into trouble for saying this, but so be it, this is my personal experience and opinion:
As much as I love my M-track layout, I do not love it because of the M-track. Better options are available now, and my advice would be to take them. I would never ever consider starting with M-track today. It is old, outdated, and the C-track is a much better choice. I find the C track to be easy to set up, it provides outstanding electrical connections between the track. True, you can make digital work on M-track, no questions about that, but I have had my share of trouble with the digital signal. Trouble that goes away using the C-track. So yes: You can make it work. No: It is not the ideal choice, there are better options.

I would recommend selling off your M-track and go C-track - even if it means starting smaller.

Myself? I am replacing my M-track as I go, because the money is not there to do the whole thing in one take.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline joyofmarklin  
#19 Posted : 13 March 2016 17:23:01(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Many thanks for all the advice. Like Ray's idea of keeping the switches for the turnouts, as can see a problem scrolling for the right control on the MS. Will keep with M track for the moment and start to convert my locomotives.