Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Minok  
#1 Posted : 02 February 2016 22:34:35(UTC)
Minok

United States   
So now that I've got my BR103 in Red/Beige on its way (in theory), 37577, I've been looking for passenger cars that it will pull.

The Südwind 42993 and supplemental cars Restaraunt 42973, Bar 42972, and some 2. class cars would be in the cards, but those cars all came out in 2003-08 and all have 'optional lighting can be installed'.

So I'm wondering, do I go and get them and fit them with LED lighting where appropriate, or is it that its been 10 years, likely Märklin will produce a modernized run some time (if there is such a thing in the rolling stock)?

As the only things cars would have is lighting and maybe some sound.. its likely a safe bet that I just need to find the cars on the 2nd hand market and install the lighting in them.
But with my luck, a super new version will come out a month after I get my 2nd hand cars....
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2016 22:48:57(UTC)
H0

The Südwind set has coaches that are 264 or 270 mm long. A few years later they made IC Beethoven with 282 mm coaches.
Please note that the prototype coaches all have the same length. Full length models are 303 mm long and are available from Roco and other brands.

It's very unlikely that Märklin will make 3ß3 mm coaches. Livery variations (or just train name/destination board variations) can happen for both the 282 mm coaches and the 264/270 mm coaches.

First you should decide which length you prefer.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 02 February 2016 22:59:38(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Maerklin has released a new IC Set 43306 and 43307 with a mix of red/beige and blue/beige IC cars. Last year, they released a set of coaches for the TEE Helvetia red/beige with black skirts that could also be used with an earlier model of the BR 103. That set came with lighting installed and the restaurant coach had digital control of the train lighting and numerous sound effects. (43853/43853/43866).
This year, Maerklin is releasing a Set for the IC Tiziano in the 1980s red/pink/white livery which could also be pulled by a BR 103. All of these items are all 282mm or approx 1/93.5 in scale.
If you are looking for the earlier IC set, it was 43858 and 43927
I have both the Helvetia and 43858/43927 sets and both would be nice behind a BR 103.

I hope that this is of use to you.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 02 February 2016 23:20:53(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Ok, so they come out every now and then in updated forms. My interest is the red/beige blue/beige look from the early 1980's. That new Tiziano red/pink/white livery didn't get used until the late 1980s'.. its not the livery I rode and saw for about a decade.. so its not for me.

So now a newb question: the wagons, per Marklin, are capable of being fitted with lighting and current conduction couplers and pickup shoes, etc. So to get the interior lighting going on such car sets as 43306 what all is needed?

LED lighting kit for each wagon, obviously, but then can one pull the current form the loco or does one have to install a pickup shoe on a wagon and feed that power between the wagons?

And for the pickup shoes, if that is required - when does one use the symmetrical vs asymmetrical pickup shoe? Never-mind... figured out this is driven by the wheels on the car you are adding the pickup shoe to and where in that wheel set the hole is to insert the pickup into.. you pick the one that matches the hole-to-wheelset alignment of each car.

I'd think ideally feeding power through the couplings and less pickups on the track is better - or is experience different?
That is - install 72020 conducting couplers in all the cars and only one car with the full pickup.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 03 February 2016 05:39:39(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I guess that you would need the 43306 and 43307 Sets. The matching dining car would be the 43871 WRmz132. As far as lighting, each coach would require a pair of 73400 (yellow) or 73401 (white) LED strips, ground contacts and you would need current conducting couplers and one slider. The type of pickup depends on the coach that you want to install it on. Due to offset pivot points, some models require offset sliders so that the slider aligns with the bogie.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 04 February 2016 00:26:46(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I'm getting more informed by the day, thanks to the great help from the forum. And google searches, plus the ability to read German helps.
So I've come to understand that, at least according to the maker, RTS, they can be decoupled with a decoupler track (http://www.rts-elektronik.de/Dienstleistungen/ ). The Märklin conducting couplers of today are that same design... so I may be able to get the ability to decouple cars with lighting.... if I can manage to get such a coupler installed on the Loco so that it drives the lights and power, I may be able to get away with no slider pickup (which would reduce the necessary noise) - but that might be a bridge too far.
---
My YouTube Channel: