Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kiwiAlan  
#1 Posted : 05 October 2015 17:49:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Over on another thread ...

Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post

The latest offering (37117) has a "controlled high-efficiency propulsion with a flywheel" motor of dubious cost optimised, origin, likely China, and is unlikely to start off with a slow crawl, or come to a smooth stop, or last as long, as the earlier versions powered with a Glocken Ankor, (bell shaped armature) "Faully" or Maxon will.

I really wonder if this statement is true.

Consider the company represented by the 2015 Trix Museum Wagon ...

Maybe Marklin use their motors in place of coreless ones, and rather than ones from China.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 05 October 2015 19:11:24(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Maybe Marklin use their motors in place of coreless ones, and rather than ones from China.
Maybe yes, maybe no. Someone must buy it and show pictures of the motor.

Based on past experience, I have no reason to expect a first-class motor with that model.
Neither do I say it will have a low-quality motor.

With recent models they do not promise much in their product descriptions - and they do not always deliver what they advertised.
They promise a motor with a permanent magnet (aka "high-efficiency propulsion") and that's what we will see.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 05 October 2015 20:16:11(UTC)
Webmaster

Faulhaber/Maxxon are great motors, and the Bühler ones have been used a lot through the years in the DC hemisphere of our 1/87 worlds...
What I don't like about the Faulis and other "coreless" ones is that they have to be replaced when they die. I like to be able to repair the motor.

Must also say that I like the Roco 5-pole with the skewed winding a lot even though I'm a bit biased towards the serviceable M 5-pole DCM...

Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline mbarreto  
#4 Posted : 05 October 2015 20:43:30(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

The C and the K were icons of M*. With the new motors in those models it seems that those new loks are not "my home" anymore. The feeling could be different if the new motor (and new decoder, in case it is new) was clearly better, something it is not clear. Unfortunately even the benefit of doubt is hard to give.
I liked a lot the feeling of pulling it by hand the wheels turned, unlike the permanent magnet loks.
Maybe M will surprise us with some motor and drive that is better than before... or maybe we have to wait for 37118 with smoke and cabin light. Or maybe we need to wait a litle more for 37119 with smoke, cabin light and telex LOL.

Miguel

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 06 October 2015 05:40:37(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
They promise a motor with a permanent magnet (aka "high-efficiency propulsion") and that's what we will see.

I think Tom has it about right.

I have had great experiences with my Marklin locos (most are post-2005 models).
So as a consumer, the motor type has not bothered me.

I basically trust the Marklin company to deliver quality models, as they have always done.
Their new extended warranties give the lie to "cheap" motors in my opinion.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline NZMarklinist  
#6 Posted : 06 October 2015 06:44:41(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Faulhaber/Maxxon are great motors, and the Bühler ones have been used a lot through the years in the DC hemisphere of our 1/87 worlds...
What I don't like about the Faulis and other "coreless" ones is that they have to be replaced when they die. I like to be able to repair the motor.

Must also say that I like the Roco 5-pole with the skewed winding a lot even though I'm a bit biased towards the serviceable M 5-pole DCM...

Hi Juhan,

I well remember the fanfare of the SDS motors, that had skewed armatures, and the loks that have them operate very sweetly, well at least all mine do. Shame M had to change to cost optimised motors ThumbDown
The Maxon motored Models also operate very smoothly but yes, are a throw away when they die, because the metal brushes have a start up life cycle of so many hundred thousand times, until they burn out Scared . (that is the ringing noise the Maxon and Faulhaber motors make on start up)

However being brushless and having ball bearing armatures, the SDS motors showed promise for infinite MRR operational fun as long as their electronics held up ThumpUp

Possibly some of the Buhler Motors are used in 1 Guage Unsure
However they feature as servos in fine German made Autos more than the others I believe.
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 06 October 2015 08:26:23(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
I basically trust the Marklin company to deliver quality models, as they have always done.
They shipped a lot locos with cost-optimized motors and unsatisfactory performance in the past few years - and I trust Märklin are still heading for cost-optimization.
Straight wound Mabuchi three-pole motors show satisfactory performance when controlled by a good decoder. But I don't want to buy an ESU decoder for each new Märklin loco - too expensive in the long run. Maybe things get better with the /3 decoder generation, maybe not.

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Their new extended warranties give the lie to "cheap" motors in my opinion.
Two years warranty for all Märklin items (after purchase), five years for MHI items (after production).
When brushes are worn, a new motor is needed. Wear is not covered by the warranty.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0