Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Cargodog  
#1 Posted : 03 July 2015 12:29:41(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Hi guys,

This is gonna be a mixed bag of questions.

1) control ESU servo motor with switchpilot/ECOS 2

I've bought some ESU 51804 servos that I intend to use to open/close the doors on my 6 stall Marklin roundhouse (72884). I have switchpilot a connected to my turnouts. On each switchpilot there are two connections for servos. I know the better option would probably be to go for a Switchservo, but I believe I should be able to use the Switchpilots.

My problem now is that I can't seem to find out how to set up the servos via the ECOS 2. Does anyone have any great ideas?

2) Read Marklin Mfx decoder information with Lokprogrammer

I have two Marklin trains (37038 and 37818). While I'm happy with them, I'd like to try and tweak the settings a bit. Shouldn't I be able to read/write from/to the installed Mfx decoder in these lok's via my Lokprogrammer? Or will I need to remove the decoder from the lok's, like I've read about in some very old threads in this forum?
If everything's under control, you're just not going fast enough.
There are two types of men. Those who want to build a big layout, and those who didn't get permission from the wife.
Online H0  
#2 Posted : 03 July 2015 13:04:31(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Cargodog Go to Quoted Post
2) Read Marklin Mfx decoder information with Lokprogrammer
The ESU LokProgrammer supports mfx decoders made by ESU.
Your 37038 is pretty old, so it should have an ESU mfx decoder. The 37818 is too new and won't be supported (MäTrix mfx decoder).
Locos with C-Sine motor sometimes require removing the decoder from the loco. This is a design flaw specific to locos with C-Sine motor.

I can't help with 1.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Cargodog  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2015 14:40:13(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The ESU LokProgrammer supports mfx decoders made by ESU.
Your 37038 is pretty old, so it should have an ESU mfx decoder. The 37818 is too new and won't be supported (MäTrix mfx decoder).

Thanks, Tom,

That's what I thought. When I bought the Lokprogrammer it states that it's compatible with Mfx decides. I didn't think it was limited to a specific generation of Mfx decoders. I've just tried the 37038 again, and it can't be read by the Lokprogrammer. This is a bit of a letdown, as, in my book, it pretty much means I won't be buying new Märklin Lok's. What do other people do?
There are two types of men. Those who want to build a big layout, and those who didn't get permission from the wife.
Offline biedmatt  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2015 15:27:32(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
What do other people do?

(This won't be popular with many M lovers here, but I...) Ditch the MFX decoders and replace them with a format that does everything MFX can, includes asymmetrical AC automatic brake control and active track occupany detection, allows me to update the software as new features are added and offers me the freedom to configure the loko anyway I want using the most user friendly graphic interface program available for mobile decoders. I replace them with an ESU V4.

http://tonystrains.com/l...symmetrical-dcc-and-abc/

https://www.marklin-user...1-LokProgrammer-software
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Online H0  
#5 Posted : 03 July 2015 15:30:50(UTC)
H0

I didn't think it was limited to a specific generation of Mfx decoders.
It's compatible with decoders made by ESU, but it doesn't use mfx and therefore it cannot work with mfx decoders from other brands (there is only one other brand: MäTrix).

BTW: Have you tried LokProgrammer software 2.7.9? While version 4.4.18 can theoretically handle those mfx decoders, it can't harm to try the trusty ol' software 2.7.9.

BTW2: If you have an ECoS then the mfx decoder should register automatically and you can make all modifications from the ECoS.
No need to use the LokProgrammer, it's a crippled OEM decoder anyway. IIRC there is nothing you can do with a LokProgrammer that cannot be done with the ECoS for those decoders.
ECoS should also work for the 37818.

We have discussed the benefits of mfx in many threads. Many folks are happy with mfx, some replace all mfx decoders, some avoid mfx decoders.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Cargodog  
#6 Posted : 03 July 2015 15:44:43(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

BTW: Have you tried LokProgrammer software 2.7.9? While version 4.4.18 can theoretically handle those mfx decoders, it can't harm to try the trusty ol' software 2.7.9.

BTW2: If you have an ECoS then the mfx decoder should register automatically and you can make all modifications from the ECoS.
No need to use the LokProgrammer, it's a crippled OEM decoder anyway. IIRC there is nothing you can do with a LokProgrammer that cannot be done with the ECoS for those decoders.
ECoS should also work for the 37818.

We have discussed the benefits of mfx in many threads. Many folks are happy with mfx, some replace all mfx decoders, some avoid mfx decoders.

I didn't think it'd be possible to downgrade my software version. Not sure how I'd go about doing that, but I'll give it a go.

Re: BTW2: Are you saying the Lokprogrammer is a waste of money if I have a Lokprogrammer. While I agree that I can do some changes in my ECOS, it does seem I have more options when programming the decoder via the Lokprogrammer, rather than via my ECOS.
Offline Cargodog  
#7 Posted : 03 July 2015 15:47:50(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post

(This won't be popular with many M lovers here, but I...) Ditch the MFX decoders and replace them with a format that does everything MFX can, includes asymmetrical AC automatic brake control and active track occupany detection, allows me to update the software as new features are added and offers me the freedom to configure the loko anyway I want using the most user friendly graphic interface program available for mobile decoders. I replace them with an ESU V4.

http://tonystrains.com/l...symmetrical-dcc-and-abc/

Sounds great. However I'm a bit apprehensive about opening up my brand new Märklin lok in order to fit an ESU V4 decoder in it. I've a done a few successful conversions of my old lok's, but that was ok, as it was either that, or scrap them. BigGrin

Offline Cargodog  
#8 Posted : 03 July 2015 15:49:34(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Does anyone have any ideas for question 1 in my OP?
Offline biedmatt  
#9 Posted : 03 July 2015 15:54:34(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   

I didn't think it'd be possible to downgrade my software version. Not sure how I'd go about doing that, but I'll give it a go.

I do not think it is a downgrade as much as two different versions of the lokprogrammer software on your PC. Open the version appropriate for the decoder you wish to configure.

No answer for question #1. I have not tried the servo decoders yet.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Cargodog  
#10 Posted : 03 July 2015 16:58:07(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post

I do not think it is a downgrade as much as two different versions of the lokprogrammer software on your PC.

Yeah, maybe downgrade was the wrong term. I'll have a go, and see if I can find that other version of the software...
Online H0  
#11 Posted : 04 July 2015 07:30:58(UTC)
H0

Re: BTW2: Are you saying the Lokprogrammer is a waste of money if I have a Lokprogrammer.
No, but for those crippled factory-installed mfx OEM V3 decoders I do not see a real advantage in using the LokProgrammer - the decoders are locked against new sound projects and I think they are even locked against firmware upgrades.
The settings that can be changed can also be changed with an ECoS.

You have one such loco. Why spend much time trying to edit the loco with a LokProgrammer if the ECoS can also make the same adjustments?

V4 decoders have many more settings and the UI of the LokProgrammer is much more comfortable than that of the ECoS I (haven't seen it on the ECoS II yet).

When I have to change the function mapping of an ESU V4 decoder, then the LokProgrammer will be the first choice. The CS2 will allow changing the tip of the ice cube only if it is a V4 M4 decoder.
Haven't tried V4 M4 in mfx mode with an ECoS - in DCC mode you only see small fragments of the function mapping settings at a time.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Ross  
#12 Posted : 04 July 2015 09:10:50(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hello Rene,

The answer is yes to using the ECoS 2 to operate and program the SwitchPilot Servo. If you have the LokProgrammer it is easier to programme. I use DCC mode to operate the SwitchPilot.
The instructions are straight foward.

Hi guys,

This is gonna be a mixed bag of questions.

1) control ESU servo motor with switchpilot/ECOS 2

I've bought some ESU 51804 servos that I intend to use to open/close the doors on my 6 stall Marklin roundhouse (72884). I have switchpilot a connected to my turnouts. On each switchpilot there are two connections for servos. I know the better option would probably be to go for a Switchservo, but I believe I should be able to use the Switchpilots.

My problem now is that I can't seem to find out how to set up the servos via the ECOS 2. Does anyone have any great ideas?

Ross
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ross
Offline French_Fabrice  
#13 Posted : 04 July 2015 10:08:38(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hi Cargodog,

Did you follow instructions stated at paragraph 8.4.2 of the SwitchPilot V1/V2 manual ?
If yes and it still doesn't run, may be you have chosen an/some already in use address/es for your servo/s ?

If it still doesn't run, try to write directly into CV35 and CV36, the address of the first servo.

Example:
a) first be sure the addresses you want to use for your servos are not used, and also the related block of 4 addresses
b) let's say you want to program two servos to addresses 141 & 142 (these addresses belong to the 36th block of 4 addresses)
c) the table showing addresses at page 19 of the SwitchPilot V2 manual states that CV1 should contain 36 and CV9 should contain 0. But beware ! CV1 and CV9 apply only for the output 1-4, not 5-6. If you read the CV list table, you see you have an other group of CV which apply for output 5-6 (servos). These CV are CV35 and CV36.
d) write 36 in CV35 and write 0 in CV36.
That's it.

Now servo 1 is mapped to address 141 and servo 2 to address 142.

Last warning: CV35 and CV36 are meaningless for a SwitchPilotServo device.

I don't own an EcosII nor SwitchPilot devices, but I've programmed all my 28 "51804 servos" with Lokprogrammer and SwitchPilotServo V2 devices. It is very easy, and they work perfectly.

Cheers
fabrice
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 04 July 2015 11:27:22(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Cargodog, with the lokprogrammer you connect your switch pilot as per instructions, you than select decoder on your lok programmer and should find the switch pilot servo 1 or 2 Version click on it and now you should be able to program them. you also could install them on your layout and program them as well by pressing the right buttons to get into the programming mode. which starts of servo motor 1 than 2 , 3 and 4 and there are also programming options to set the angle from right to left and than left and right and the timing fast or slow. if you want to open the doors automatically you can use an opto coupler and a reflective coupler .

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Cargodog  
#15 Posted : 05 July 2015 12:33:09(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Whoaa... Information overload.

Seriously, though, thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at it when I get home. Some very good and specific info in these answers. Much appreciated. I'll let you know how I fare.

Cheers...
Offline Cargodog  
#16 Posted : 07 July 2015 21:40:28(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Hello gents,

I'm back. I must be daft (I'm ok admitting to that), because I've been working on that servo for two days. I was just about to buy Switchpilot Servos from eBay, when I tried one more time. Finally I got it working, and I think I understand the ESU system a little better now. I must say I think the ESU manuals are as clear as mud. Without your inputs I would've never sorted it out.

Thanks for all the inputs to my two questions. It has helped a lot.

Cheers for now. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later in.

-René
Offline Chris6382chris  
#17 Posted : 11 July 2015 06:01:50(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
You are a better man than I. I had the same question and problem, switch pilot trying to operate the Servo. I couldn't do it. I might have to ask for your help in the coming weeks if I get the courage to try again.

Chris
Offline Cargodog  
#18 Posted : 11 July 2015 13:20:55(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Chris6382chris Go to Quoted Post
You are a better man than I. I had the same question and problem, switch pilot trying to operate the Servo. I couldn't do it. I might have to ask for your help in the coming weeks if I get the courage to try again.

Chris

It is actually very easy, Chris - once you get the hang of it. I'll be more than happy to help.

1) Do you have the LokProgrammer?

2) Which servo are you using? The ESU?

I'll make a step by step explanation of what I did. Let me know...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Cargodog
Offline Cargodog  
#19 Posted : 11 July 2015 23:35:58(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Finally got the doors calibrated to open close correctly. Thanks again, guys.

IMG_3451.mov (6,767kb) downloaded 57 time(s).
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Cargodog
Offline Chris6382chris  
#20 Posted : 13 July 2015 05:40:13(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   

Chris

It is actually very easy, Chris - once you get the hang of it. I'll be more than happy to help.

1) Do you have the LokProgrammer?

2) Which servo are you using? The ESU?

I'll make a step by step explanation of what I did. Let me know...

Thanks I will take you up on this offer. I do not have a lokprogrammar but have an ECOS 2. I was able to get program the ESO switchpilots easily enough for the switches but could never get the servo portion to work.

Chris
Offline Cargodog  
#21 Posted : 14 July 2015 14:56:22(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
image.jpgimage.jpg
Thanks I will take you up on this offer. I do not have a lokprogrammar but have an ECOS 2. I was able to get program the ESO switchpilots easily enough for the switches but could never get the servo portion to work.

Chris

Ok. Well, if you've already successfully programmed your Switchpilot's outputs number 1-4, and assigned each of them different addresses, programming the servo outputs 5-6 should be fairly easy. You obviously know how to write your CV's, so all you need to know now is:

1) The CV's that govern the servo outputs are 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, and 42

Let me start from the beginning.

CV 35 and 36: They govern which block of 4 your servos start at. This means: If you want your first servo decoder address to be 50, your first servo would start at 197, and your second servo would start at 198. In reality it doesn't matter which address you choose for your servos. Find a system that makes sense to you (I've chosen a suitably high number, so it will not collide with the amount of addresses I need for all my switches).

Now for the all important question. Which values do you write into CV35/36 via your ECoS? The honest answer is, I haven't a clue - not without my Lokprogrammer, anyway. I've tried to make sense of the numbers, but can't. However, to solve your problem, you can tell me which addresses you want your servos to start at, I'll then program that into a spare SwitchPilot, then I'll read the values for CV35/36 and send them to you. I hope that'll work for you.

The rest of the CV's directly affect how your servo will react, ie. how far it will travel between position A nod position B, and how fast it will travel that distance. These are values that you will have to play around with yourself to figure out exactly where to start/stop your servo's. Just for your info, I'll run through each CV below.

CV37: Governs how fast your servo 1 is rotating. It's in .25 of a second. FYI, I set mine to 40, as it then takes 10 seconds for the doors to open. Use what suits you.

CV38: Governs where your servo 1's position 'A' will be. The way I installed my servos, position 'A' relates to the 'open position' of my doors. For my setup I have values between 50-55 (not all the doors are the same, as the mechanical setup differs slightly from door to door). If you're using ESU servos and install them like I have (see picture), these values should give you a good starting point.

CV39: Governs where your servo 1's position 'B' will be. Funnily enough, this position equates to my doors 'closed position'. My values are in the range 22-25.

CV40: Exactly like CV 37, but for servo number 2

CV41: Exactly like CV 38, but for servo number 2

CV42: Exactly like CV 39, but for servo number 2.

I hope this makes sense, Chris. One last thing to remember. When you connect the cable from your servo to the SwitchPilot, remember to connect it correctly. On the ESU servos, the white cable goes to the pulsed connection. If you're using other servos, you're generally looking for a white or yellow cable. The pulsed position on the SwitchPilot is the one on the outside.

Let me know how it works, if you can figure out the numbers for CV35/36. Don't waste time on it though. Just figure out which addresses you want for your SwitchPilot's servo output, and I'll decode the CV values for you via my LokProgrammer.

Cheers, René...
Offline MikeR  
#22 Posted : 21 July 2015 20:48:47(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Hi Cargodog

I have done the same as you and have mechanised my Marklin roundhouse doors using the Faller servos and servo decoder. I found that the Faller servos/ stepper motors are quite jerky at low speeds so I was forced to speed up the servos/ reduce the time taken for the doors to open or close in order to have smooth operation. I would be interested whether you had the same issue on the ESU servos. I also had problems when turning my layout on. Some of the servo motors would operate and rapidly open and close the doors. I managed to stop this behaviour by changing the setup in the servo decoder CVs. I note that ESU says that they have suppressed this behaviour. I need the full 90 degree operation on the longest servo horn to operate the doors. I think that the ESU servos operate thru 60 degrees. Is this correct, and if so, did you need to lengthen the servo horns to get the required throw?
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MikeR
Offline kiwiAlan  
#23 Posted : 21 July 2015 23:56:45(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MikeR Go to Quoted Post
Hi Cargodog

I have done the same as you and have mechanised my Marklin roundhouse doors using the Faller servos and servo decoder. I found that the Faller servos/ stepper motors are quite jerky at low speeds so I was forced to speed up the servos/ reduce the time taken for the doors to open or close in order to have smooth operation. I would be interested whether you had the same issue on the ESU servos. I also had problems when turning my layout on. Some of the servo motors would operate and rapidly open and close the doors. I managed to stop this behaviour by changing the setup in the servo decoder CVs. I note that ESU says that they have suppressed this behaviour. I need the full 90 degree operation on the longest servo horn to operate the doors. I think that the ESU servos operate thru 60 degrees. Is this correct, and if so, did you need to lengthen the servo horns to get the required throw?

I purchased a couple of dozen servos (standard R/C ones off ebay) to use as point motors on a club layout. Using a servo checker to test them all before I could return any faulty ones I found that some are quite jerky at the end of their travel, as though the servo feedback within the servo electronics was hunting around the desired point.

There are several possible explanations for this - component tolerances, dirty track on the feedback potentiometer, slack in the gear train, and I could probably find a couple more if I thought hard enough.

I came to the conclusion that buying these things for a cut throat price (and any supplied by ESU or anyone else will probably come from similar factories in the East - they certainly won't be manufactured by ESU or Faller) this is to be expected. There are things that could be done to mitigate any problems that exist, and I will certainly be investigating mine to see what the source of the problems in mine are.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Cargodog  
#24 Posted : 28 July 2015 09:42:25(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: MikeR Go to Quoted Post
Hi Cargodog

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not experiencing any jerking as the doors open with the ESU servos. However, how smooth is smooth? How long is a piece of string? I'm happy with how mine works. I'm not familiar with the Faller servos. Maybe it's a common problem. You may try to grease/oil the arms going from the servo to the doors. They're resting on planting arms, and this friction may cause them to jerk. I did give mine a thin layer of oil to prevent this friction. It may not be a problem with the servos.

I've not had any problems with the servos when I turn on/off the layout. This definitely shouldn't happen, no matter what brand.

I did not need to lengthen the servo horns. I used the ones supplied by ESU (see the video above). I'm not sure how many degrees the servo can operate thru at the maximum. I've the defined the length of travel via my LokProgrammer, so each door is set to and individual travel distance.

I hope this clarifies.

Cheers, René...
Offline MikeR  
#25 Posted : 28 July 2015 22:47:38(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Hi René

Thanks for your response. I have not tried lubricating the plastic hangars and arms to the door. My servos have been installed at the back of my roundhouse and I use the Marklin opening arms and springs. The Faller servos seem to show the step function at slow speeds. Maybe the number of steps used by the Faller servo motor from one extreme to the other is less than the ESU servos. I will purchase an ESU servo in my next shipment and test to see how it works. I like the fact that a mounting bracket and stiff wire for the actuator are included. I used some waste catenary wire to connect my servo horn to the arms connected to the doors.

I have increased the speed of my servos and am now happy with the operation of the doors.
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
Offline kiwiAlan  
#26 Posted : 29 July 2015 00:40:47(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I'm not sure how many degrees the servo can operate thru at the maximum.

My understanding is that all R/C servos will move through 180 degrees if a suitable drive signal is supplied. Most systems only operate them through 90 degrees, not realising that they can do more.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan