Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Barrie Larke  
#1 Posted : 28 June 2015 17:11:13(UTC)
Barrie Larke

United Kingdom   
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if this crane would work on DC using the Hornby RailMaster program?

I was told that it used the Marklin system but I don't know how they compare.

Thanks Barrie
Online H0  
#2 Posted : 28 June 2015 17:44:41(UTC)
H0

Hi, Barrie,

Welcome to the forum.

How do you define DCC? Which crane are you talking about?

Some Roco cranes use the MM protocol (Märklin system). MM is DCC in the true meaning, but it is not NMRA DCC and will not work with Hornby equipment.

Edit: And H0 scale three-rail cranes will cause a short circuit on two-rail track.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Barrie Larke  
#3 Posted : 28 June 2015 19:07:53(UTC)
Barrie Larke

United Kingdom   
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. The model # is Roco 4609 and from what you say I rather think you have answered my question. This is a 3 rail version using a centre rail pickup. What I am wondering is could it be converted to the Hornby Rail Master system?
I see no reason why it could not be converted to 2 rail pickup and possibly the decoder chip replaced but it would be a gamble whether it would function the same. What is your opinion?

Regards, Barrie
Offline Barrie Larke  
#4 Posted : 28 June 2015 19:09:41(UTC)
Barrie Larke

United Kingdom   
Correction model is # Roco 46900

Barrie
Online H0  
#5 Posted : 28 June 2015 19:37:57(UTC)
H0

It will be easier to go for Roco 46800 which is two-rail and NMRA DCC out of the box.

46900 probably has a special decoder (controlling 3 motors) soldered in and replacing the decoder probably is not easy.

Do you have the crane already?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Barrie Larke  
#6 Posted : 28 June 2015 20:22:16(UTC)
Barrie Larke

United Kingdom   
Hi Tom,

Yes I agree but finding a 46800 for sale is the problem. No I don't have this 3 rail one but have seen one on offer. After seeing a 46800 in action on UTube I am keen to have one. Cranes has always fascinated me. Goodness knows why, probably stems from making them in Meccano as a kid. I am fairly new to DCC though have already fitted some decoders including hard wiring two where space was very restrictive. Thankfully they all work.

Regards, Barrie
Offline Barrie Larke  
#7 Posted : 28 June 2015 20:29:00(UTC)
Barrie Larke

United Kingdom   
Forgot to mention I already have the hand operated Roco version which is nice but not quite the same as a remotely controlled one. I am amazed how Roco manage to get that in a relatively small space.

Barrie
Online H0  
#8 Posted : 28 June 2015 22:07:15(UTC)
H0

Six 46800 were sold on eBay.de since May 1st, but none are currently on offer. If you can wait for the winter season you can get a DCC crane on eBay.
Only one 46900 currently showing on eBay.de and it is marked as "Bastler" - parts missing and not fully operational. I hope this is not the one you're looking for.

Märklin made even smaller cranes, but no two-rail versions and no NMRA DCC support.

If money doesn't matter, also check Trix 23951 - a "crane de luxe".
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Barrie Larke  
#9 Posted : 29 June 2015 23:28:08(UTC)
Barrie Larke

United Kingdom   
Hi Tom,

Wow! what a fantastic piece of kit. Thanks for telling me about it. Trouble is the same problem, where do I find one for sale? I see that the same guy who showed the uTube video of the Roco one also has this Trix model. Some have all the luck.

Anyway I will keep looking. I could do with a number of people on the lookout for me to give the wink if they see one. I imagine they are in great demand. I wonder why they don't make these items now?

Regards, Barrie
Offline Ross  
#10 Posted : 30 June 2015 05:44:27(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hello Barrie,

I have the Roco 46900 which you may have seen on YouTube

Roco 46900

It is difficult to control manually and is best used with some software which makes operating the crane simple.

If you want to know how I programmed the operation of the crane, visit my Tips section to find out more.
Ross
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ross