Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PMPeter  
#1 Posted : 20 June 2015 17:57:33(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I have a mixture of Maerklin and Fleischmann green and white bi-level coaches and up until now have had a preference for the Fleischmann ones due to their longer length. However, out of the 5 Fleischmann units that I have purchased from various sellers on eBay (all in the 5120 series) I am starting to discover continuous frame breakages.

One, as per the first photo, arrived in its plastic case with the entire front end of the frame broken into several pieces. The body and truck assembly was fine. At the other end the spring retaining portion was broken off. (I received full refund from the vendor as shipping damage).

Recently I had another post regarding a missing coupler spring due to a derailment. However, when I went to remove the car body every one of the frame clips broke off from the frame with the slightest attempt to spread the body away from the clip and I now see the spring retaining portion again is broken off similar to the previously received damaged item (last photo).

Last night I received my latest purchase, and although it was well packed, I have a handful of plastic breakages, mainly from the steps below the doors.

The other 2 cars on closer inspection show similar breakages on the frame.

So unless I am truly unlucky, 100% frame breakages appears to be very high and I am wondering if this series of Fleischmann cars has a similar plastics problem as the C track of the same timeframe did? Has anyone seen any reports of this on other forums?

Lately I am seeing a lot of listings of bi-level bodies and trucks for these cars which makes me think that this is a common problem. I have yet to find a listing or a part number for the associated frames. If anyone has any information on this or some spare parts number information for these cars, especially the frames, I would really appreciate it. I don't want to add to the growing list of these car bodies on eBay. BigGrin

So far I have not experienced this problem with the M units.

Cheers
Peter

IMG_0988.JPG
IMG_0989.JPG
IMG_0991.JPG
IMG_0990.JPG
IMG_0992.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG
IMG_0992.JPG
IMG_0989.JPG
IMG_0990.JPG
IMG_0991.JPG

Edited by moderator 31 July 2015 07:42:36(UTC)  | Reason: Resize images - Cookee

Offline mike187  
#2 Posted : 20 June 2015 19:34:34(UTC)
mike187

United States   
Dear Peter:

Contact Roco/Fleischmann direct. They are usually very good about replacement parts and may even send you new frames for free.
www.fleischmann.de Click on the top right tab for english language and look through the page tabs. You will find a contact page.

Regards, Paul
Offline PMPeter  
#3 Posted : 24 June 2015 22:46:37(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Well I got a reply from Fleischmann that these frames are no longer available for the standard coaches, but still available for the longer cab control car. The item can only be ordered through an authorized dealer and I see German prices are around 26 Euros. So a North American price will most likely be around $50 if I can find one.

I also found that this is a known problem on a Stummis posting:

post link

The 2012 description in this forum topic describes these frames as breakable as glass and made from a plastic that becomes brittle over time. The discussion goes on to describe how a slight bump or derailment breaks off the truck assembly or other parts, exactly what I am experiencing on all 5 of my cars. So my analogy to the M C-track problem of the late 1990s was correct.

3D printer anyone?

Peter
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 25 June 2015 07:23:15(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Sets of the former Fleischmann double decker coaches have been released by Roco as the AC version for the Re 420 LION consists. the model numbers for the sets were 64132 and 64133.
You should check with Roco if the coach chassis is available for these models. info(at)roco.cc
These models are the same as the older Fleischmann 5133 and 5134 which I believe were just repaints of the DB coaches. For 2 Rail use, make sure that you use the original DC wheel sets from your defective Fleischmann coaches.

http://www.roco.cc/en/pr...-0-0-0-001/products.html

I hope that this helps
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline PMPeter  
#5 Posted : 25 June 2015 18:59:55(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Thanks Mike, I will try the Roco route.

Interesting follow up reply from Fleischmann. In their first response they provided both a German and an English answer. The German answer stated that the frames were sold out, but had a part number such and such. The English answer stated that the frames are sold as the same part number such and such. In both languages they stated that the frame for the cab control car was still available, but would need to be ordered from dealers, with no part number given.

I questioned the discrepancies and got the following reply this time in English. The 5121 and 5122 frames are indeed sold out and were originally sold under the part number given. The frames for the 5123 cab control car are indeed still available, but are so old that they don't have a part number.

I find it very strange that a 5121 and 5122 frame has a part number but a 5123 frame does not. Also if they are that old they are probably made of the same brittle plastic as the original ones. Not going to spend $50 on a part that will probably crumble when I try to fit the car body to it.

In my opinion a really poor response for an obvious manufacturing defect. I guess sooner or later our C track will crumble and our rolling stock will disintegrate and we will enjoy the quality of the older 1960s items even more. Bored

Cheers
Peter